ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 STI w/ 1700 miles. Now I know right off the bat, the car isn't gonna be very fuel economical until the ECM learns my driving style after the break in process but MAN, did any one else go through this? This thing is DRINKING some gas lol. I know its a ton more power then a regular rex and a bigger displacement but, on a FULL tank thats 15.9 Gal - I'm getting like 205 miles sometimes and the best I've gotten most recently is 300. I've even thrown in a can of 44k here and there, but it doesn't change much. Its really flucuating a lot, and i'm not even driving the car hard yet. Anyone know when this thing is gonna balance out and stop drinking all this gas? On my old 04 wrx it had a 14.9 gal tank, and I could get 420 miles off a full tank. Guess those days are slightly over. I think once I throw on an SPT intake that should pick up the fuel economy a bit. Let me know STI owners..thanks in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 06, that was quick =) I looked for threads started by him but I unfortunately couldn't find any. That figures there's a TSB, I'll have to see if it shows up on Alldata. A reflash sounds about right. I mean these mpg numbers are definitely not right yeah? I know I should be getting better then this lol. Thanks man, I'll have to talk to my dealer asap.

There is an 07 sti MPG thread already IBTehmerge.

Also a reflash available per TSB

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
With my driving habits I'm getting any where from 24-28 mpg.

No how are you actually measuring your MPG's?

The proper way is to reset your trip meter next fill up. When you go to fill up next time divide the number of gallons the car took by the miles.

The guessing game on a 14 gallon tank and putting in 10 isnt really accurate. The car isnt always going to take the same amount of gas depending on incline, position of the car, weather, and a few other variables.

The TSB isnt going to help with MPG's if you arent beating on the car. It really just smooths out the transition from the cl/ol. It doesnt even help the hesitiation around 4k rpms which is why it was released.

If you search Nasioc there is a HUGE thread on the 07 ECU issue. If you search Gabedude you'll find it as he has alot of posts in it. I think the title is 07 sti down on compression or something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 302. Ok if you measure it by dividing the number of gallons and mileage achieved, then I'm averaging between 12.5 mpg and 18.7mpg. 12.5 is the worst I've gotten, and 18.7 is the best. Thats still not good at all yeah? I'll check out the thread on the 07 ecu thing. I'm sure the compression isn't actually messed up, thats just what people jump to the conclusion about. Usually ecu updates fix a lot of issues, and I would think that the ecu reflash on the 07 sti should help mpg's a little bit. I need to go see if it even applies to my VIN. I think the most of whats going on is i still have only 1900 miles and the ecu hasn't fully finished its learning process, thus = fuel economy still in the crapper.

With my driving habits I'm getting any where from 24-28 mpg.

No how are you actually measuring your MPG's?

The proper way is to reset your trip meter next fill up. When you go to fill up next time divide the number of gallons the car took by the miles.

The guessing game on a 14 gallon tank and putting in 10 isnt really accurate. The car isnt always going to take the same amount of gas depending on incline, position of the car, weather, and a few other variables.

The TSB isnt going to help with MPG's if you arent beating on the car. It really just smooths out the transition from the cl/ol. It doesnt even help the hesitiation around 4k rpms which is why it was released.

If you search Nasioc there is a HUGE thread on the 07 ECU issue. If you search Gabedude you'll find it as he has alot of posts in it. I think the title is 07 sti down on compression or something.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
If I am staying out of boost I can easily get 25 mpg and I do not have the reflash.

Honestly I doubt what the reflash adjusts will help MPG. There is another member here that has documented horrible MPG on a stock tune and he supposedly drives out of boost.

I will say that about 75% of my trip is spent on the highway at 60 mph +. If I was stuck in the city I'd expect low 20's out of the car staying out of boost.

I have been averaging my MPG in the mid to upper 20's since my first fill up. I'm at 9,500 miles now and only notice a slight drop when we switch to the 10% ethonal mix and I'm sure that's largely due to the ECU adjusting itself.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I get ~17 mpg in my STI with mostly city driving, and I drive fairly aggressively. I probably need some new plugs since I'm betting they're still original. Air filter has 10k miles on it so I should probably throw in a new one of those too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive an 07 STi. I am averaging about 410 miles on the interstate (70-80mph) a tank to when the gas light turns on. It will take about 14.5 gls (do the math it's about 28.25mpg. The car is stock, other than the SPT Power Package (I/HS/E) In the city, I get about 20.5mpg however I am on the throtle a little more in the city!! I do have to say that when I first purchased the vehicle, the gas was evaporating from the tank, it took about 2000 city miles and then a 1500 trip on the interstate to start getting descent gas mileage. Remember the car is rated 19mpg city and 25mpg highway. any thing more is always good anything less could be as simple as aggresive launches from a stop to snow on the ground!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts