ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 wrx with 120000 miles on it. Paid the guy 5k and 200 miles later it’s knocking. Just my luck. Since Ohio is a as is type state there isn’t much I can do but fix it. I found a guy to do a swap at a good price so the next question is what do I upgrade while doing this?
we’re going with a jdm short block and reusing as much from my old motor as possible. The car has a few upgrades on it but is running lean and had some turbo lag. It has a Cobb cold air and a invidia 3 1/2 inch full exhaust that we will re use. Do I need injectors? Should I change the flywheel along with the clutch? Which access port should I get? Any input is appreciated.
thanks Tom

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
A JDM shortblock will not swap into your vehicle without machining and matching the heads since most shortblocks were 2.0L vs. 2.5L.

There were 2.5L JDM blocks, but these are no different from the USDM variant and so what's the point?

I'd find a junkyard longblock and swap. It will be the most cost effective certainly. Alternatively you can just scrap the car, sell for parts, and find a new one (probably the best scenario).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought jdm used forged parts? Dude told me 1400 for a 2.5 acvs short block and 1000 for labor to swap it out. What would have to be done to the heads for this to work? I have worked on a lot of domestic cars but boxer motors are very new to me. He is saying there is a warranty and all. I know it’s cheap but he is younger dude who opened a shop in Pa and has all good reviews... idk

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
USDM uses "forged parts"

$2400 for an shortblock install seems very very cheap. I'd question those numbers and the "dude's" proficiency.

If it's a 2.5L block, you should determine what car it came from -- different 2.5L motors had different piston dishes and combustion volumes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I determine this? He gave me a link to the site where it’s for sale. It’s a jdm site? My car is a ej255. Educate me bro. I appreciate your help. Like I said young dude opened a shop in 2019 and also travels as a mobile mechanic. Good reviews on google from people for engines and other smaller stuff as well as him traveling a few hours to fix broken subies. Trust me I’m nervous but the quotes I’m getting from other bigger places are outrageous and I am not confident in my ability to do it alone.. if it were a freaking Ford or Chevy v8 no problem. But this a whole new ballpark for me and I’m trying to learn as much as possible before making more bad decisions. I’m trying to be positive and say hey I bought the car for 5k and it’s super clean and very well taken care of. Putting a motor in it for a few grand keeps me at least where the car is worth and where I can afford. I wouldn’t mind a used motor swap at this point to keep it going while I save some cash and stack some parts to upgrade. Is that a better choice though? I’ve reused heads in domestics. Pressure test due test and have them milled if needed as long as the valves and seats were able to be cleaned up. Two hundred bucks at the Napa not far from me. This ain’t a freaking ford though.. lol.

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
The bigger places are 'outrageous' because they know what they're doing.

Junkyard longblock is the way to go IMO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bigger places are 'outrageous' because they know what they're doing.

Junkyard longblock is the way to go IMO
Why? And yes I’m sure they do, they wanna send me out the door @500 whp Dyno tested and tuned. I don’t need all that and I don’t have 11 grand to dump in a 5k car I just bought

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
To be frank -- no one can assemble a Subaru motor as well as Subaru. They are the ones with millions of dollars of investment tooling.

A good junkyard low-mileage longblock that you've cleared with compression and leakdown tests, it will be much cheaper anyway than tearing down an engine to replace the shortblock.

Sure, there are risks and you won't fully know the service history, but neither will you know with some questionable JDM shortblock.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
My opinion is worthless on this subject but I'll offer it as I'm a habitual problem car buyer.

There is a reason cheap work is cheap and expensive work is expensive. Jdm engines are extremely hit or miss as vehicle maintenance isn't as big of a thing in Japan because people don't tend to own or keep cars as long due to emissions and safety regulations resulting in massive registration fees on older vehicles.

So an engine for that vintage could have been sitting for years and years. That's bad news. Especially lower mileage ones.

I'd be more apt to but the 8-10k into a good rebuild with a new shortblock and fresh machined heads. You'll get life out of it and it's no longer an unknown variable.

If you do opt for a more affordable route look for an import junkyard that actually inspects and documents their engines they have pulled. You don't want an engine sitting for 4 or 5 years or one with janked compression.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be frank -- no one can assemble a Subaru motor as well as Subaru. They are the ones with millions of dollars of investment tooling.

A good junkyard low-mileage longblock that you've cleared with compression and leakdown tests, it will be much cheaper anyway than tearing down an engine to replace the shortblock.

Sure, there are risks and you won't fully know the service history, but neither will you know with some questionable JDM shortblock.
I see. Well
My opinion is worthless on this subject but I'll offer it as I'm a habitual problem car buyer.

There is a reason cheap work is cheap and expensive work is expensive. Jdm engines are extremely hit or miss as vehicle maintenance isn't as big of a thing in Japan because people don't tend to own or keep cars as long due to emissions and safety regulations resulting in massive registration fees on older vehicles.

So an engine for that vintage could have been sitting for years and years. That's bad news. Especially lower mileage ones.

I'd be more apt to but the 8-10k into a good rebuild with a new shortblock and fresh machined heads. You'll get life out of it and it's no longer an unknown variable.

If you do opt for a more affordable route look for an import junkyard that actually inspects and documents their engines they have pulled. You don't want an engine sitting for 4 or 5 years or one with janked compression.
i appreciate it. He’s giving a guarantee on parts and labor for 90 days. The motor is coming from exactly what you are talking about though. I need to get some more info from this guy on what the real plan is here before I move ahead. I agree with your statement about Subaru being the best but I have met many awesome mechanics over the years out of smaller shops. I’ll get back with you guys

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
I'm just not sure I understand why someone would install a JDM 2.5L shortblock over a USDM variant into a USDM motor....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts