ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a really nice ‘06 Wagon in January. It has almost 80k miles on it, 10,000 of which I put on it since January. It’s in beautiful shape, all stock and all original. I’ve been doing a lot of maintenance as well as added a Cobb catted downpipe and OTS Stage 2 tune. Just had a new, OEM clutch installed a couple of weeks ago. In have new struts waiting to be installed......then it happened. Real bad noises under load and first gear. My mechanic buddy drained the oil and found slight evidence of metals. We’re suspecting a spun bearing.
I’m now over the bummer of it and excited to replace with something much better. I need to start ordering the stuff now, while I have the money. While I do have a pickup to drive, this will be a daily driver. I’m 56 now and have had lots of performance cars. I do want this to have a bit more power than before, but I’m not boy racer anymore. I want it to be fast, but being bulletproof is critical. I want to do this once. Doesn’t everybody?
I am budgeting for 6 grand, not including labor. I’d like an AIG short block (stage 1 or 2?), a new turbo....a smallish one, new TMIC, fuel pump, new timing belt which was never done before, air/oil separator, all the necessary seals, gaskets, head bolts and whatever necessary. Of course a tune to finish it off. But like I said, not looking for huge horsepower, just something somewhat exciting and RELIABLE. I don’t know enough as to whether I need to upgrade injectors or whatever else I am ignorant about. I realize that my new clutch may or may not be enough. Thanks for any thoughts that might guide me in the right direction!

·
11,468 Posts
It's cheaper to buy a faster car than it is to make your car faster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts