Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 STI. My dip stick popped up one day and I lost 2 quarts of oil. Found pretty soon tho. I don’t know if it had this tap prior or im just paranoid. The block is a Stock EJ257, fully hot tanked/checked, decked, flex honed. The Heads are Hot tanked/decked/ all new valves & seals (fresh oem hg's) with New oem Sti crankshaft, Eagle rods, and Manley pistons and rings with ACL bearings. Rebuild was about 5k miles ago. I wanna know If it sounds like normal valve train noise or if the valves sound bad or just out of adjustment or even just a timing tensioner or something. In the video I hold about 1200 rpm which is the range of the tap. Then I go to 1500 and 2000 rpm and back to idle. The noise is only at about 1200 rpm. Not at idle or higher revs and you can hear it even on accel or decel but only as you pass 1200 then gone. It seems like the noise goes away and doesn’t get drowned out by other noises. Since I refilled the oil it seems to be driving fine, without any leaks, and does not have a CEL. Any advise wanted. I can’t attach the video so here is a link to it on google drive. Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
If your oil pressure (in the sump no less) was so high that it pushed oil out of your fill tube, something is very wrong.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your oil pressure (in the sump no less) was so high that it pushed oil out of your fill tube, something is very wrong.
I have an oil pressure gauge and it never exceeded normal operation pressure that I noticed when it happened. The dip stick was being pushed up against by the wiring harness that goes to the alternator and compressor. The way it was positioned it seemed like it could have just caught it and popped it up. That’s actually what I thought at first but then I was thinking maybe possible blow by. I’ve heard everything from just 400 hp Sti engine noises to knock or valves. Any knock I’ve heard has been way more consistent and they get louder with the rpm. I was hoping maybe a valve adjustment or lifters or something not requiring a rebuild. I just woke a lot so I haven’t had the time to look into it. Trying to narrow it down.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Sorry, must have typed that before I finished my coffee.

If you have oil being ejected en masse from the filler tube REGARDLESS of how the dipstick came loose, I would suspect a failed PCV valve.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, must have typed that before I finished my coffee.

If you have oil being ejected en masse from the filler tube REGARDLESS of how the dipstick came loose, I would suspect a failed PCV valve.
Okay that makes sense. I will look into that to prevent it from reoccurring but my main concern right now is the ticking at 1200 rpm. Im concerned that losing the oil caused it and am looking for ideas as to what it is. I’ve had subies knock and have valve tap but none were ever only tapping at a specific rpm. Like it only ticks 1100-1200 rpm range. I linked a video at the end of the original post to show the sound and how it is not there at any other rpm range including idle

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
Sounds like piston slap (I have not watched video as it requires my personal information).

If it doesn't increase in speed an volume with RPMs, it's not a bearing problem.

I'd not worry about it, but it might be in your best interest to replace the oil and filter to be safe. You absolutely should look at replacing the PCV valve.

Reactions: Mikkee089

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like piston slap (I have not watched video as it requires my personal information).

If it doesn't increase in speed an volume with RPMs, it's not a bearing problem.

I'd not worry about it, but it might be in your best interest to replace the oil and filter to be safe. You absolutely should look at replacing the PCV valve.
Okay thanks again. I will see if I can upload the video to YouTube and post a link after work later

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.