ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you with the 2005 model wrx. what the hell is that speaker looking thing that's about half an inch big on the center consol, above the gear shifter but below the radio??????

thanks

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I don't know what it is on the new WRX, but my Parents' old BMW M3 had something similar to that. It was a microphone for the alarm. If it heard glass break, it would set the alarm off.

:confused:

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's the temperature sensor for "auto" mode. I had the same question for the sales lady at the dealer. I was hoping it was a voice controlled laser system but alas, it is not. Does a great job with the temperature in the car though :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, lol, when my sister borrowed my car she goes whats this, i said oh dad installed it to monitor my speed, see waht i say in the car, and to hear the rpm level to make sure im not racing. LOL LMAO, she drove the car so slow.:)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
see, i don't like the new interior on WRX and especially on STi. For me Subaru was all aobout racing and rallying and the cars were built for that purpose and with this herritage so more spartan it was, better it was. Right now it's too much electronics and automated stuff, it's gonna turn into this new Saabaru thing. :barf:

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Yeah its not like they took out any performance or anything to add the new stuff. Personally if you really care about rallying and racing hardcore you would rip out the entire interior anyways. So unless your going to do that I would rather have some nice amenities like auto climate control and a nice looking dash. Personally I love the new STI interior, much better then the 04, and the steering wheel is 10x better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KanosWRX said:
Yeah its not like they took out any performance or anything to add the new stuff. Personally if you really care about rallying and racing hardcore you would rip out the entire interior anyways. So unless your going to do that I would rather have some nice amenities like auto climate control and a nice looking dash. Personally I love the new STI interior, much better then the 04, and the steering wheel is 10x better.
AMEN

·
Registered
267 Posts
Plus they got rid of the cup holder from hell. I have always hated that cup holder since the first time I road in my friend's 98 RS.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I've been curious: The '05 interior does look better in pics. Is the look and FEEL of the dash stuff really better in person than the '02-'04? Not being skeptical, just honestly curious.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My buddy has the 2004 STi and I have the 2005 - there is a world of difference in the interior quality. The 2005 is a lot nicer, I think :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
05.. im jealous.... i have an 02.. so u guys w/ 04 shouldnt complain.. at least u guys have heated seats and moonroof options :wiggles:

·
48,699 Posts
superic said:
My buddy has the 2004 STi and I have the 2005 - there is a world of difference in the interior quality. The 2005 is a lot nicer, I think :)
Thanks!. Don't get too cocky about it; someday your car will be behind the times, too...;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think the '05 interior is better categorized as "different" rather than a lot "better." The silver look to the center console, the flush radio, etc looks more contemporay next to the older interior, but overall it doesn't look that different to me. The improved cupholders are definately a step in the right direction, and having climate control is a nice feature. However as far as materials quality or fitment goes, it seems about equal (which I never considered a bad thing).

Its a good update to the car, but I wouldn't be so jealous of it as to trade a pre '05 in to get it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
superic said:
the 05 interior certainly does _look_ nicer, however i personally hate automatic anything, i think i have the capability to determine when i am too hot or cold and manually adjust the climate control accordingly...

the impreza is slowly turning into a Pontiac with this Automatic nonesense!!!!

·
48,699 Posts
Imitryx said:
the 05 interior certainly does _look_ nicer, however i personally hate automatic anything, i think i have the capability to determine when i am too hot or cold and manually adjust the climate control accordingly...
I kinda like automatic climate control. I find myself constantly adjusting it. My '90 Celica GT-S had auto climate control, and I could just set it and forget it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The '05 interior is very cool mainly for the cupholders. The downside is that the stock stereo doesn't have a tape deck anymore, so it's that much harder to get aux inputs (like an iPod) to work well (the iPod radio-transmitter-hook-up thing is pretty whack). But I think all cars should have the option to not have a stereo come with it because stock stereos all suck bad. Auto climate control is something so simple it really should come on all cars because you can always use the manual mode if you don't like it. And since a lot of the new high-quality aftermarket head units are silver these days, the color change is prolly smart on Subaru's part.

And for subaru to be changing into Saab or Pontiac is hilarious...GM only owns 25% of Fuji Heavy Industries, while they own most of Saab, so really Saabs are turning into Pontiacs and they're both using Subaru technology+engines to sell cars because their own stuff is crap. I heard the new Saab 9-2x uses the EXACT same engine and chassis as the WRX (and the body looks a lot like the WRX wagon). I wouldn't worry about stuff flowing from Saab and GM back to Subaru, scoobs are selling the best of the three brands world-wide right now so why would they do that.

·
48,699 Posts
StockWRXRules said:
The '05 interior is very cool mainly for the cupholders. The downside is that the stock stereo doesn't have a tape deck anymore, so it's that much harder to get aux inputs (like an iPod) to work well (the iPod radio-transmitter-hook-up thing is pretty whack). But I think all cars should have the option to not have a stereo come with it because stock stereos all suck bad.
Personally I don't care about the tape thing; I haven't purchased a cassette tape since the 1980's. My experience with both the "cassette tape adapters" and the radio transmitter adapters is that they both stink. If I'm after good quality audio, my first step has been to replace the factory head unit on every car I've owned thus far.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts