Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shifter is loose in my wrx and I need to know what part to buy to replace it. Plus any tips or pictures on how to actually complete the repair are appreciated

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
My shifter is loose in my wrx and I need to know what part to buy to replace it. Plus any tips or pictures on how to actually complete the repair are appreciated
Bushings. Turn in concepts sells something called the holy shift kit that should get you all the parts you need to replace them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bushings. Turn in concepts sells something called the holy shift kit that should get you all the parts you need to replace them.
Is there a cheaper alternative? My car has very high miles so while I’d like to improve it I don’t want to spend too much if it dies

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
You may be able to find them separately for cheaper. Several companies sell shifter bushings.

I know i harp on turn in concepts a lot, but when you buy from them you not only pay for the best products, you also get support that is second to none. You can also call them up and ask. They are super helpful and can likely get something together for you at a price you are comfortable with, and if they can't they will tell you where you can.

Or you can take a shot with Rock Auto. Decent parts, low prices.

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
Is there a cheaper alternative? My car has very high miles so while I’d like to improve it I don’t want to spend too much if it dies
$100 is too much to spend on your car?

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
I used all my money getting the car. It’s my first and I don’t have an official job but the car will get me there
This is my concern...

The WRX is a very poor choice for a first car with minimal income:
1. It's expensive to maintain -- oil changes require a fully synthetic oil
2. It's expensive to operate (requires 93 octane fuel and poor economy)
3. It's not very reliable

I guess that's water under the bridge now, but if your attitude is to cheap out on the things that the car needs to stay road-worthy, you're going to have a tremendous amount of pain later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used all my money getting the car. It’s my first and I don’t have an official job but the car will get me there
This is my concern...

The WRX is a very poor choice for a first car with minimal income:
1. It's expensive to maintain -- oil changes require a fully synthetic oil
2. It's expensive to operate (requires 93 octane fuel and poor economy)
3. It's not very reliable

I guess that's water under the bridge now, but if your attitude is to cheap out on the things that the car needs to stay road-worthy, you're going to have a tremendous amount of pain later.
The thing has 230000 miles. We got it for cheap. I wanted it so I could learn stick. But don’t get it twisted, i want to improve it but my mindset is if it explodes then oh well. It had a good life

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
Good luck. I've got no further advice to provide.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Don't think zax here is trying to be rude or an ass. It's a legit concern. If you are worried about 150 for bushings and linkages you are in for a rough road. The transmission is way more expensive than bushings when it gets demolished from a new driver missing gears from shot linkage.

Either way learning to drive a stick it's well worth scrounging up the price for the kit i mentioned. It's going to make your learning curve much easier on a vehicle that's notorious for whipping the butts of even vetted drivers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't think zax here is trying to be rude or an ass. It's a legit concern. If you are worried about 150 for bushings and linkages you are in for a rough road. The transmission is way more expensive than bushings when it gets demolished from a new driver missing gears from shot linkage.

Either way learning to drive a stick it's well worth scrounging up the price for the kit i mentioned. It's going to make your learning curve much easier on a vehicle that's notorious for whipping the butts of even vetted drivers.
I think zax was just thinking responsibility. I’ll keep what you said in mind. I do have to convince my dad it’s necessary. He told me not to bother with the shifter since he could use it just fine even though it’s looser than the side mirror which is held on with electrical tape

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
I can vouch for Turn in Concepts. Although I don't have their shifter bushings (I have the kartboy shifter bushings kit with the short throw shifter, also a solid company), but I have the TiC crossmember and transmission bushings kit and they are excellent. Can also vouch for their customer support, I had a question about one of the bushings that came with the kit, so I called them to ask. The guy I spoke with walked me through install, to include torque settings for the bolts. Top notch guys there.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
I can vouch for Turn in Concepts. Although I don't have their shifter bushings (I have the kartboy shifter bushings kit with the short throw shifter, also a solid company), but I have the TiC crossmember and transmission bushings kit and they are excellent. Can also vouch for their customer support, I had a question about one of the bushings that came with the kit, so I called them to ask. The guy I spoke with walked me through install, to include torque settings for the bolts. Top notch guys there.
Those are the bushings included in the kit. I think it has a few other goodies as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The bushing that u likely need are in the shifter U joint connection to the tranny. Unfortunately the Subaru u joint has a pin that is welded so u need to replace the joint with a Subaru joint or aftermarket or the bushings cannot be replaced. The aftermarket ones replace the welded pin with a bolted so they are serviceable in the future. Otherwise find one used from a blown tranny or part out.

https://www.importimageracing.com/p...MI9KOi2tGV4QIVBODICh18-wsBEAQYAyABEgIbaPD_BwE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts