Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Mods:

Cobb SF Intake, Cobb downpipe, cobb catback, walbro fuel pump, cobb 3 port EBC, accessport v3, protuned at turn in concepts in cincinnati. They use a dynapack or dynamax which they call the heart breaker because it reads so low. But they said the Dynojet Equivalent would be 315 awhp, 350 awtq. They also said they had a car with the same set up run around a 12.4 @ 112 for some perspective (0-60 about 4.0).

I know you all would like me just to take it to the track. But I don't really go to the track because I don't want to break anything on my daily driver. But lets just say hypothetically that I did.

Most videos I see the STIs and WRXs lose to the 5.0 coyotes, sometimes pretty bad. Better case is the sti beats from the get go but the stang reels it in and passes it. I think my car has the guts to beat one in any race. Given its healthy and I drive it well and the 5.0 is basically stock. I'll concede that a high speed run I think they would eventually reel me in, but maybe not. Just depends if we take it way up the gears. Thoughts? Stories? Preferably input from someone who knows of a car similar to mine, or has a car of the same speed who can comment on this scenario. Now if the 5.0 has good gears, tires, bpu and a tune, then I think I would be out of luck besides maybe hodling my own to 60 or 100.

Thoughts? Stories? Videos of Stage 2 STI taking down a 5.0? (Ive only see like 4 on YT).

Thanks!

Nate

PS:
-I would have liked to post this on nasioc, but do they even have a proper place where I could post that and not get flamed?
-I edited the post to take out direction mention of racing not on a track. But it is a little confusing because I have read many kills stories, both real, and hypothetical on here. So clearly racing is mentioned, and it is not always track. Nonetheless I edited this post as suggested.

So what do you guys think? Lets say both cars are healthy, both drivers are good. Any stories? Who do you think would have the edge?(roll/stop/top end)

· In Æternum
23,700 Posts
No. Discussion of street racing is expressly forbidden. Please edit your post accordingly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,060 Posts
I know you all would like me just to take it to the track. But I don't really go to the track because I don't want to break anything on my daily driver.

So what do you guys think? (roll/stop/top end)
I think that statement makes no sense. On a track, you are driving under controlled conditions,as opposed to a street race...

· Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Oh, you're referring to drag racing. How boring.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

the 2005 WRX/STi was a monster 11 years ago and embarrassed a lot of USDM cars and even the Euro scene were pretty miffed.

But in terms of drag racing, even the new STi doesn't stand a chance against the USDM v8 that is being offered, unless using larger turbos.

Comparing curb weight of the 2

The Mustang Power to weight ratio:

Your STi:

That alone should paint the picture for you.

Another thing to consider gearing, but I am too lazy to write up that comparison.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever it should be hilarious to compare a 'drag racing car' to a wrx or sti. This race has been won before and will be won again. I feel confident with how the number stack up in the 1320. best case scenario they can run a 4.3 0-60 and a 12.8 1/4. I can take down those numbers. real averages are closer to 4.5 0-60 and 13.0 1/4. I know the big high hp v8 should have the edge in the straight line. but what is the fun in the favorite always winning? A stock engine, stock turbo, bpu sti, with a protune can take down the mighty 5.0 in the 1/4. I want to hear some stories or results and real thoughts.

not a punch of people being a bunch of crybabies and pansies afraid to show some pride in their ride. yea the new 5.0 is great and the flat plane engine is awesome. but im not drinking the kool-aid that it is the faster car in the 1/4 mile or around a track, given that its a proper stage 2 sti, with intake, exhaust, fuel pump, ebc, tune.

I thought the subaru community should grow a pair and knuckle up. That being said if there is any useful commentary about real results or hypothetical predictions that are neither sardonic or sarcastic then I would be glad to hear them. Restore my faith in the forum. After all, this is wrx vs. the world. I read COUNTLESS kill stories here about people street racing.Dont give me this BS about talk being forbidden. I didnt street race anyone and that is not my intent. I just see them around and I want to know how things would pan out. Take it to the track is a useless and improper response. Anticipation is everything and potential eventualities are meaningful in that they require forethought and experience. im curious about the hypothetical. and when I am ready ill take it to the track. but untill I fell im 100%, while break my DD by pushing it to the max?

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are two great drivers cars that are completely different in character but are the same in that they push the envelope and extend the limit. People do cross shop them. Yea stock for stock the stang wins. who cares. I care about a stock turbo, stock block, 4 cylinder subaru at stage 2 representing the potential of the brand well. That we are still relevant. And also all this talk about the 5.0 on the track is misleading. Yes they should win by a little but that is because the power to weight ratio is in favor of the stand. Equal out the ratio even a little bit, with the mustang still in front and the sti wins. also make it more twisties and less straights and the gaps narrows more. plus even when the stang wins at the road course, it feel unnatural, un-planted and insecure in real world conditions. Ask some people for yourself and do your own research. I have.

I think the coyote mustang is a great car. but I think its time we stand up for ourselves a little bit on how a decade old boxer with an exhaust and a tune can take down 435(ish) hp in 1320 ft.

· Registered
59 Posts
Hey livid your right about power to weight ratio and that is the tail of the tape but dont forget the AWD of the STI closes that gap smaller because of its grip and amazing launch. Plus the Mustang will spin a tiny bit and subtract from its time. Id say its a drivers race in the 1/4.

· In Æternum
23,700 Posts
Pride?

I have zero reason to be proud of a stock car. It's just a tool. If I out-dragged a Coyote Mustang in the quarter mile, I'd be proud of myself for having a fantastic launch. If I built the engine myself, I'd be proud of my craftmanship. But to be proud of Subaru? No.

Yes, it's possible to beat a modern Mustang V8 in the quarter with a bone-stock STI. Both cars ran a 13.0 in C&D's instrumented tests. However, the Mustang did have an 8 mph faster trap speed. That's the same as comparing the trap speeds of a Civic SI with an STI. You really have to nail the launch to even have a chance in beating a modern V8 stang in the quarter. All-in-all, take two people off the streets with little driving experience and either one will be faster in the Mustang every time. Guaranteed.

Also, the flat-plane crank is only for the Shelby GT350.

And yes, discussion of street racing is explicitly against forum policy as it has been for the last 17 years. I politely ask that you follow the rules. OP, thank you for editing the post.

· Registered
2,111 Posts
not a punch of people being a bunch of crybabies and pansies afraid to show some pride in their ride. yea the new 5.0 is great and the flat plane engine is awesome. but im not drinking the kool-aid that it is the faster car in the 1/4 mile or around a track, given that its a proper stage 2 sti, with intake, exhaust, fuel pump, ebc, tune.

I thought the subaru community should grow a pair and knuckle up. That being said if there is any useful commentary about real results or hypothetical predictions that are neither sardonic or sarcastic then I would be glad to hear them. Restore my faith in the forum. After all, this is wrx vs. the world. I read COUNTLESS kill stories here about people street racing.Dont give me this BS about talk being forbidden. I didnt street race anyone and that is not my intent. I just see them around and I want to know how things would pan out.
Crybabies? You realize that most of us just don't care about who has the faster car, right?

Oh well. This thread is still hilarious and I thank you for the additional entertainment. Please continue.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unbelievable. Very disappointed in the community on here and the response. You give subaru guys a bad name.

Zero useful replies. Nothing of what i asked for. I guess there is just a bunch of sarcastic @holes on here. Thanks for the input.

It was a simple question, responded to with such "hilarious" wit and turn of phrase.

Just close the thread if nobody has anything on topic and useful and productive to add.

· In Æternum
23,700 Posts
I'm sorry that we didn't hurrah behind you and Subaru to tell you how much "Ford sucks" and the "Coyote motor is no good."

It's time for a healthy dose of realism. You're not getting a participation award here. The GT is a faster car in the straights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Clearly you didn't read my posts where i paid respect to the new mustang and coyote engine and gave it praise. You didn't read my initial post. Point is a proper stage 2 protuned sti can beat a coyote in a 1/4, or even a dig or roll. Which granted can be legally done.

I think the new stang is great. I also think the new focus rs is great. Topic for another day... But the sti lightly modded is a proper challenge to both and to an extent, in some particularlities, in stock form.

The topic hasn't been covered bc they are a different class of car. But to me it should be covered. Because i love all sports cars. And my sti is not just a tool it was a realisti dream car (besides unrealistic desires like r34 skyline, 458 Italia, 911 gt3 rs, 22b sti, supra tt). Some of which are unrealistic simply because of market rarity. Anyhow my sti is not just a tool. There should be a bond between a driver and a car. If there isn't, then you either have the wrong car, don't appreciate it, or aren't the enthusiast you thought you were.

I came from 3s cars. So abandoning mitsubishi/dodge for subaru was like changing teams. Somehow the evo never did it for me. Much respect, just not for me. But in 1991 the vr4 was a serious achievement. They can handle 700hp on the stock block and tranny btw. A shame they werent so damn heavy. In stock form however man the low end torque and spool was seriously unreal, instant at any rpm.

· Registered
59 Posts
Clearly you are very passionate about your car. I am the same way with whatever car i own. A lot of times i come on a forum to ask questions that I already know the awnser to but i like to hear different opinions so i ask anyway. As far as the STI's performance against a Mustang or any other car similar it really is compairing apples to oranges. But i mean that in a good way for Subaru. Both cars are built for 2 totally different purposes. And on top of that the Mustand and Camaro recently morphed into a 2 seater sports car with an unusable joke back seat. There mainly built for straight line performance in nice weather and to be a high performance daily driver for a single person with no kids. The STI is a 4 door practical high performance off road ralley and road course racing machine that gets excited when it snows. I love all cars for different reasons. Ive owned them all. My list is a mile long. Right now i own a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack. But im looking at getting a 2017 STI. Actually i have $500 down holding one at a dealership its still in transit from Japan. Should be here on the 30th.. And honestly im torn between the two Because there 2 totally different cars and i love them both for different reasons. But i need a winter capable car and thats definitely not the Challenger.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clearly you are very passionate about your car. I am the same way with whatever car i own. A lot of times i come on a forum to ask questions that I already know the awnser to but i like to hear different opinions so i ask anyway. As far as the STI's performance against a Mustang or any other car similar it really is compairing apples to oranges. But i mean that in a good way for Subaru. Both cars are built for 2 totally different purposes. And on top of that the Mustand and Camaro recently morphed into a 2 seater sports car with an unusable joke back seat. There mainly built for straight line performance in nice weather and to be a high performance daily driver for a single person with no kids. The STI is a 4 door practical high performance off road ralley and road course racing machine that gets excited when it snows. I love all cars for different reasons. Ive owned them all. My list is a mile long. Right now i own a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack. But im looking at getting a 2017 STI. Actually i have $500 down holding one at a dealership its still in transit from Japan. Should be here on the 30th.. And honestly im torn between the two Because there 2 totally different cars and i love them both for different reasons. But i need a winter capable car and thats definitely not the Challenger.
Z-Man. Thank you for some good, professional, thoughtful input. I really appreciated it. Clearly you are passionate about your car as well. I know the STI and Mustang are two different breeds, but I read about people cross-shopping them all the time. It is very interesting. I love cars and want to compare any good cars.

If Subaru releases an new FA engine for the STI, I would be drooling over a new one. Outside of that, I like everything about the 2016 STI, but I am kind of uncertain about the looks. At first I hated it, but it is slowly growing on me. I only like the looks of the 04/05 but thats just me. Also if they release not just a new FA sti engine, but one that is 2.5L and not 2.0, then omg. Idk what their plans are but they are long overdue for an update and I think well see a new STI engine in a year or 2 that has some relation to the FA.

Challenger is one of the best looking modern muscle cars out there. And the scat pack gives you a power for value that it really hard to beat.

I have been doing some more reading and watching about the GT 5.0, GT 350, Camaro SS and Z28 etc. I will tell you this, Like the mustangs looks, but they 2015 refresh is too concept car modern for me. I liked the 2011-2014ish better. Really like the 5.0 coyote engine. The car handles much better. In 2015 it got the Independent rear suspension which helped stabilize it a lot, but not enough. When compared to the Camaro SS it is simply not in the same league. The Camaro is easy to control, poised, stable, planted and geared great for the track. It beat the Mustang at the streets of Willow by about 3 seconds. In fact, the SS's time was closer to the Nissan GT-R than the Mustangs time was close to the SS. Wow. Yes I am referencing motor trend, but I trust Randy Pobst more than myself or anyone else online because he is a professsional racer (or was).

My point about the mustang was that people shouldn't be so quick to say its faster than an sti around the track or in the 1/4 or what not. Stock for stock, it is close. But MY post was about MY stage 2 Sti, which is a completely different comparison. I wanted to know if you all thought a proper stage 2 sti could take one a stock 5.0 in any and all types of races. I know stock for stock the 5.0 has the edge in the straight line and top end. But I'm talking about my stage 2.

The SS or Z28 are the winner in terms of drivers car and track performance against the Mustang GT and 350 respectively. But I just do not like the looks of the exterior or interior as much, and I don't think it sounds as good.

Challenger Scat Pat is a great deal, a great looking car and tons of fun I am sure.

I like muscle cars and imports. I just prefer underdogs. I prefer turbo thrill and peak performance on any road. I prefer versatility and character. And lastly, I want to be not only unafraid to drive in the snow, but I want to look forward to it and have some fun (safely).

PS: So only the Shelby 350 has the flat plane v8 that revs to 8250? What about the Shebly GT 500? Is the difference the supercharger. I have been reading/watching up on all of this for days so I am kind of burnt out on research, lol.

Don't you all think that the STI has to up the ante power-wise now that the Focus RS is out? This combined with timing and FA tech already there in the BRZ makes me think they will. I wonder if they will make an attempt at improving the drivetrain because of how the RS delivers power. Personally I think the RS is now the hot hatch to beat in its segment. It is said to ride too stiff, and it doesn't look 'great', but it is still a hell of a car.

· Registered
2,111 Posts
Unbelievable. Very disappointed in the community on here and the response. You give subaru guys a bad name.
It's you sir, who give the Subaru community a bad name. You're the reason why most of the working professionals I know still poke the occasional friendly street racer joke at my car. And after reading this thread, how could I blame them? After driving from point A to point B in my car and getting endless stare downs and revs from tools like you, how could I blame them?

Not all of us bought our cars to compete against other cars. I could give less than two ****s about a Honda civic being faster than my car. I purchased it to enjoy the driving experience and tastefully mod it. I don't race, because it's not worth the safety risk to myself or others on the road. That and I grew up. The only time I romp on my car is when I see the occasional empty on-ramp or deserted country road with a clear line of sight. Luckily, there are plenty within a few minutes of my residence.

The people who own and drive these cars responsibly laugh at people like you. Just because every owner doesn't race this car or "get kills" doesn't mean we appreciate our cars any less than the tool who goes street racing every weekend. If you want "kills" do it on the track. It's not beating your car anymore than racing on the street. I thoroughly enjoy every trip to and from work or just tooling around town in my car. Not all of us have to go WOT all the time to have fun. I'm sorry that your narrow minded thinking leads you to believe that you have to try to prove something against another car in order to get any enjoyment out of the vehicle. This is the reason this thread is ironically hilarious. That, and I won't entertain the stupid notion that you're not referencing street racing, just because you changed your wording a little.

As far as the new Mustang goes, I've heard it's just as much of a competitor as a road course car as it is in a straight line. The days of saying that Camaros and Mustangs can't hang in the turns are over. Both are highly capable road course cars, especially on tracks with a few long straights.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.