Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals,

Anyone got any inside scoop on the 05 STi yet?

Subaru usually brings the new stuff out in March.

I know Subaru's rally car has a really bada## looking hood and they changed some other body part designs, will this make it into the showroom model?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Invisiguard said:
yeah, the fact that totally redid the front end 2 years into a model run is almost unheard of nowadays, so dont look for any more significant changes in this model run till the redesign in 06
Would this redesign come out in 05 as an 06 or in 06 as an 07? Does that make any sense? :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
I suppose in 05 (since that will be when 06 is released - IF 06 is redesigned) or if the STi is still existant - In US, Dont flame me, I just mean if they havent renamed the STi to something else for US sales or something - or however they expect to improve the current STi - as I would find that hard to do, unless you want to get in the "crazy hp ranges".

Also how many are they making a month? I heard around ~300 or so? If true... then that would mean if they only made 2 years of this model STi, we'd own 1 of (300/permonthx12/monthsx2/years) 7200 STis... man that'd be awsome. Talk about a rare car that is worth some dough down the road :) I hope.

Robert~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
StaticX313 said:
I suppose in 05 (since that will be when 06 is released - IF 06 is redesigned) or if the STi is still existant - In US, Dont flame me, I just mean if they havent renamed the STi to something else for US sales or something - or however they expect to improve the current STi - as I would find that hard to do, unless you want to get in the "crazy hp ranges".

Also how many are they making a month? I heard around ~300 or so? If true... then that would mean if they only made 2 years of this model STi, we'd own 1 of (300/permonthx12/monthsx2/years) 7200 STis... man that'd be awsome. Talk about a rare car that is worth some dough down the road :) I hope.

Robert~
yeah, they are awesome beast, sorta the modern day hemi cuda..
but i wish they would bring the Red black version in...
or maybee a radio
:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
The emission laws change in 06 I think, and it will be more difficult to get turbo cars to past. I hope this won't happen, but there may be no STI in 06.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
StaticX313 said:
I suppose in 05 (since that will be when 06 is released - IF 06 is redesigned) or if the STi is still existant - In US, Dont flame me, I just mean if they havent renamed the STi to something else for US sales or something - or however they expect to improve the current STi - as I would find that hard to do, unless you want to get in the "crazy hp ranges".

Also how many are they making a month? I heard around ~300 or so? If true... then that would mean if they only made 2 years of this model STi, we'd own 1 of (300/permonthx12/monthsx2/years) 7200 STis... man that'd be awsome. Talk about a rare car that is worth some dough down the road :) I hope.

Robert~
Thanks.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
hatchy said:
The emission laws change in 06 I think, and it will be more difficult to get turbo cars to past. I hope this won't happen, but there may be no STI in 06.
I can see how turbos can hurt by emissions, but is it that tough to get a turbo'd car up to snuff? CA has pretty tough standards right now anyway, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
carnut said:
I can see how turbos can hurt by emissions, but is it that tough to get a turbo'd car up to snuff? CA has pretty tough standards right now anyway, right?
Maybe a 3 cat Sti along with the WRX? I dont see why they havent done it to begin with (im glad) , but... bigger engine, bigger turbo, yet -1 cat *shrug*. No problem with me :D Makes you wonder why the heck the WRX has 3 if it's putting out less exhaust?

Robert~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
StaticX313 said:
Maybe a 3 cat Sti along with the WRX? I dont see why they havent done it to begin with (im glad) , but... bigger engine, bigger turbo, yet -1 cat *shrug*. No problem with me :D Makes you wonder why the heck the WRX has 3 if it's putting out less exhaust?

Robert~
the amount a car smogs doesnt have as much to do with how big the engine is or the amount of exhaust it emits as much as it does with how efficient the engine burns fuel and how well its emmisions system works. You can theoretically have an engine that gets 1 mile to a gallon that passes smog better than a 40mpg honda civic if its turning that 1 gallon of gas more efficiently into energy than the civic does. In the case of the STi versus the WRX, the biggest difference I can think of is the variable valve timing, although we think of this device more as a performance aid, that is acctually just a by product of making the cam tiiming more efficient. As it stands, a conventional camshaft is one of the least efficient components on a modern engine since a single cam lobe is in effect only ideal at a single RPM, and less efficient at every other RPM to an increasing degree in either direction. Anything we can do to make the valve operation more adjustable across the rpm range is an overall improvment in engine efficiency; mileage, emmisions, power:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Could the WR1 be a hint of the 2005 to come?



This is from the fast-autos.net site

More here

If you notice it is a 2.5 that pulls 320hp and has other goodiesthat our 2004 has...

I Tried to find what I am looking for at the wrong/right time.

Wrong means I have to wait. Right means it might be worth waiting for.

The following are Rumors:

Wider tires (8")
Tighter Steering
All aluminum Rear suspension (dealer affirmed)
New Colors (?)
Yaw sensor for DCCD (I thought it had it already or is the the EVO?)
More Power (10%?)
Radio (dealer affirmed)
More Money (upto $2k more) (dealer affirmed)
Rear Spoiler Delete option.

Dealer affirmed means that is the rumors he is repeating while there is still a black one I could buy on the Showroom floor.
The other rumors are from various sources on the net (main source info to Canadian dealers)

I hope I am right except for the $$$ option! :)

My Broker found out from the dealer fleet sales that they will be delivered no later that EOM May.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Invisiguard said:
In the case of the STi versus the WRX, the biggest difference I can think of is the variable valve timing, although we think of this device more as a performance aid, that is acctually just a by product of making the cam tiiming more efficient. As it stands, a conventional camshaft is one of the least efficient components on a modern engine since a single cam lobe is in effect only ideal at a single RPM, and less efficient at every other RPM to an increasing degree in either direction. Anything we can do to make the valve operation more adjustable across the rpm range is an overall improvment in engine efficiency; mileage, emmisions, power:)

You are right! I don't know if this has been posted before but our STi's are set up for an addition of variable valve timing cams for the exhaust side. AVCS (Active Valve Control System) is currently set up for the intake side. If I get under the car, maybe I can take some pics to show you guys.

This means SOA has already planned for this in future models. Probably to give a bump in power #'s, improve emissions, and give better mileage. The sad thing is, it will not be possible to add these onto our cars if they come out with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
Something tells me that the yaw sensor for the Driver Controlled Center Diff is not the same as Mitsubishi's Active Yaw Control. For one thing AYC adjusts the rear diff torque to the outer wheel. The DCCD can only control the front to rear bias, not side to side. I think they may just be adding a yaw sensor to make the DCCD a little more intelligent to transfer more torque to the rear when plowing, and more to the front when fishtailing.

As it stands on the 04, the DCCD seems to have default logic to transfer more to the front during throttle lift or light throttle, and to the back for WOT. In a straight line, that makes sense. Around a corner, the DCCD needs to remain more neutral, which is where the yaw sensor will help to compensate. Based on this logic I just pulled from my ass, I see no reason why an 04 STi couldn't easily and inexpensively be retrofit with the yaw sensor, and a DCCD controller reflash to make it comparable to the 05 (assuming the yaw rumors are true).

Of course, I'm sure Subaru found a way to make it incompatible and/or expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
blueballs said:
You are right! I don't know if this has been posted before but our STi's are set up for an addition of variable valve timing cams for the exhaust side. AVCS (Active Valve Control System) is currently set up for the intake side. If I get under the car, maybe I can take some pics to show you guys.
So is the cam on the exhaust side a standard cam then? Could someone manufacture a more performance style cam (kinda like the 264s for the Supra) for the exhaust side only? or will that mess with the AVCS as well?

Robert~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
static - As far as I know, the cams on the exhaust side are not controlled by the AVCS. The idea of more aggressive cams on the exhaust side is an interesting idea! I would assume that the ECU would be able to compensate for the more aggressive lift settings. Hmm.. I know a whole lot of money would have to be put into the R&D of these things and they would definately not be cheap. I'd guess ~$1200-1500 would be the asking price for a set. I guess a place to start asking questions would be someone like Cobb tuning. They have experience in this sort of thing, I believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
blueballs said:
static - As far as I know, the cams on the exhaust side are not controlled by the AVCS. The idea of more aggressive cams on the exhaust side is an interesting idea! I would assume that the ECU would be able to compensate for the more aggressive lift settings. Hmm.. I know a whole lot of money would have to be put into the R&D of these things and they would definately not be cheap. I'd guess ~$1200-1500 would be the asking price for a set. I guess a place to start asking questions would be someone like Cobb tuning. They have experience in this sort of thing, I believe.
Ya, but with the AVCS I didnt even want to think about an aftermarket cam on the intake side, i just meant one cam on the exhaust side. I was thinking more in the ~400-600$ range. I'll send cobb a message and see waht the ysay.

Robert~

edit: when using a timing gear, most supras only changed the exhaust side anyhow as it was the most hp gaining side (10hp or so vs 1-2hp from the intake cam gear).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Yea, I was thinking of $1200 for a company to make someone a custom set of cams for the exhaust side and not for distribution sales.

This engine is pretty new so I'd doubt it'll happen anytime soon, imo. Guess we'll see if someone ever does this. I'd be curious of the results.

Goodday,

Ro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
UPDATE

I talked with the dealer and he has pricing a least to the vehicle he ordered for me.

I need to tell you what it is coming with and then that will help you determine the prices

Radio (Unknown which one but he thinks it is the same as in the WRX)
Short throw shifter
Arm rest
Wheel locks
Prefered pack 2 (Mirror and Security)

$33,793

That means MSRP plus those options listed above = $33,793
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top