ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone knows if the YAW sensor made it to the US in the '05 STi?

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=06373196

From the article:

But the most important addition is a yaw-rate sensor that works in conjunction with the active center differential and the new helical front differential to provide increased cornering grip and reduced understeer.

Out on the road the improvements are instantly noticeable. With the center differential set on automatic, the grip is truly phenomenal. Aggressive prods of the throttle instantly break traction at the rear, allowing the car to set up for satisfyingly fast corner exits, no doubt thanks to the yaw-rate sensor. Understeer is still present at the limit, but that limit is now well beyond the normal Impreza range. ...

The 2005 WRX STi is on sale in the United States for $32,770 including freight charges. It incorporates many of the upgrades on our Japan test car, including the interior improvements (with a standard six-CD, six-speaker audio system), the new limited-slip helical front diff, aluminum suspension links, 17x8-inch wheels and tires, an underbody cover to enhance stability and a security engine immobilizer. No word on whether the yaw sensor and other hardware will make it Stateside.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
So what is the yaw sensor in stupid terms?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
as in pitch and yaw. its a little more complicated than that WRXout :) heres def below.

1. Nautical. To swerve off course momentarily or temporarily: The ship yawed as the heavy wave struck abeam.
2. To turn about the vertical axis. Used of an aircraft, spacecraft, or projectile.
3. To move unsteadily; weave.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
gusto said:
as in pitch and yaw. its a little more complicated than that WRXout :) heres def below.

1. Nautical. To swerve off course momentarily or temporarily: The ship yawed as the heavy wave struck abeam.
2. To turn about the vertical axis. Used of an aircraft, spacecraft, or projectile.
3. To move unsteadily; weave.
true that :D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jack said:
So what is the yaw sensor in stupid terms?
It means the STi handles like a MoFo... so look out Evo's!

That is IF the '05 has it. (The new front diff will help by itself too)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read that article too. I read it as future tense, meaning "upcoming" models.

Yaw is turning, not tipping, leaning, or bucking. Think of spinning out on ice. Lots of yaw, very little anything else.

Other higher-end cars have yaw sensors to activate stability control (help keep you from spinning out) by activating ABS on the outer wheels; ie, slow down the faster spinning wheels. It sounds like the STI version works with the center differential to help apply power to the correct end of the car. That's cool.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
stanton said:
I read that article too. I read it as future tense, meaning "upcoming" models.

Yaw is turning, not tipping, leaning, or bucking. Think of spinning out on ice. Lots of yaw, very little anything else.

Other higher-end cars have yaw sensors to activate stability control (help keep you from spinning out) by activating ABS on the outer wheels; ie, slow down the faster spinning wheels. It sounds like the STI version works with the center differential to help apply power to the correct end of the car. That's cool.
isn't that what it was suppose to do to begin with? "transfers power from the wheels that slip, to the wheels that grip" damn those old commercial

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EvilCerealBoX said:
isn't that what it was suppose to do to begin with? "transfers power from the wheels that slip, to the wheels that grip" damn those old commercial
Front and back. I believe the YAW sensor is suppose to do something like what Stanton was mentioning. When turning, power is tranfered to the wheels that have better grip (i.e. the outter wheels), or so that's how it was explained to me. (Of course, what I'm saying is sort of contradicting Stanton, but he may know better that I do)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless, the new STi will handle better than the '04 just because of the new front diff, I'm just wondering if it's going to handle like the Japanese model (with the YAW sensor) and start laying the smack down (or at least keeping up with) the Evo on a course.

Maybe I should have posted this in a more Techie forum, I just didn't know which. Mods, any help?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone? Anyone?

Based on what I read off of Subi's website, it doesn't look like it's made it to the States. Doesn't make much sense why they wouldn't though. The Evo is kicking our butts in the handling department, why not help the '05 out with the yaw-rate sensor. :mad:

·
Registered
317 Posts
yaw = rotation around a vertical axis plain and simple,
pitch is front to back rotating around an axis running from left to right through the center of the car, and roll is rotation around an aixs running from the hood to bumperside to side

yaw(oversteer+understeer)
pitch(braking+accelerating)
roll(turning)

there, i said it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts