ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question, now being this is a SUBARU fourm I know it might be a little bias, Right now im driving a 2002 PSM WRX. When I graduate I get to sell her and move to a new car, either a STi or the new EvO MR which comes out next year, what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
474 Posts
This months issue of MotorTrend (Oct) just did a comparison between the two, someone on one of the evolution boards posted every page of the article. I keep trying to go to nasioc because they had a direct link, but I haven't been able to go there for the last two days.

I guess what I am saying is to do a little research, read the article, find out which one suits you better.

My opinion, they are both incredible cars, but I would go with the MR.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think the sti would be a better buy because now the evo is gonna cost a grand or so more than the wrx and I was told the mr's are gonna have no a/c, power windows or anything like that but I could have just been told a false story. The new evo is only gonna weigh 17lbs less than the sti. The STi also made some nice improvements to it for 05 and now that the evo is gonna be a grand more than the sti it would be a no brainer for me but I just really like subarus.

·
Admin - Scooby Hooligan
23,369 Posts
yeah the MR is a stripped down EVO VIII basically more for track days and stuff
to be honest in the long run the EVOIII would prolly be the better choice over the MR
As for the STi well i owned 2.5RS. WRX(which i modded) and now a STi
STi hands down but mainly for the gearbox and phenominal brakes :)

depends really on what "YOU" want from your car
and if the MR comes without all the mod cons we are used too and you can live with that then hey go for it

remember what ever you read, see or hear the bottom line is its YOUR money and YOUR choice :)

try and see if you can test drive a STi and a EVOIII

·
Registered
948 Posts
That mag article really rated them neck and neck. If I had to choose just from that article (which I would never do) I would pick the STI only because they rated it as a much more "drivable" car for the everyday driver/enthusiast. If I was going make it a track car, or buy it to mod, I would buy the evo. But for an everyday killer ride, I'd have to pick the STI. It'll be cheaper and more comfortable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd go with the STI just because I can't even imagine what the dealer mark up is going to be on the MR. With the limited availability of the MR, it's going to be crazy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
the sti has strait line power and looks bad as hell but if u love to corner stock for stock the evo will handle better.

But i think the sti would pick up more chicks cause of the hood scoop ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
the mr has power everything like the 8.. its not stripped down and, its faster i believe in a 1/4 then the sti now because of its 6 speed tranny and its a bit lighter as well.... my opinion the mr, nothing beats it... its limited and its just an awesome car

·
Registered
498 Posts
the mr has everything
mitsubishi is coming out with 3 versions of the evo 8
the MR
the regular evo 8
and then the lower class evo 8 rs
the mr is the 6 speed w/everything car
the regular is just that.... regular
and the rs has no ac, and has been lightened to drop the price down to around 25K msrp ( still a rip off in my opinion)
so its all about what YOU want and like!!!

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Screw everything.

Both are razor sharp cars with two, totally different spirits. Drive both. It's the only way you'll know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
EvilCerealBoX said:
just test drive both...
What he said... I think everyone agrees the two cars are very close when it comes to performance.. so that means it will come down to personal preference on things like how the seats feel, how things are laid out, how they look, do they drive the way you want?

You just have to go drive them....

More food for thought... Subaru does very well in crash tests and seems to be considered more reliable than Mitsu.

Mitsu seems to be on shaky financial ground lately.. warrantys aren't worth much if the dealers aren't around to help you.

·
Registered
712 Posts
From what I've been reading, it doesn't take all that much to get the STi on par with the EVO for handling. The rack is quicker on the EVO, which is cool, but in general the STi's handling can be very good with some basic mods (bushings, bars, springs, etc).

I'd go for the STi for the relative exotic-ness. Flat-4 versus I-4, somewhat unconventional body shape versus Lancer's sedan, and lack of Altezza taillights. :p

But then, I'm biased. Why do people ask stuff like this? Just tack up a picture of both cars, put on a blindfold, and throw a dart. The STi and the EVO are both awesome in their own rights.

·
Registered
91 Posts
skrib said:
the mr has power everything like the 8.. its not stripped down and, its faster i believe in a 1/4 then the sti now because of its 6 speed tranny and its a bit lighter as well.... my opinion the mr, nothing beats it... its limited and its just an awesome car
No, they have the same exact time. Buti f u read it, the sti 0-60 would be faster if second gear could hit 60, it stops at 58, if it could hit sixty you'd save a few tenths off the shifting to third

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why I opted for the 05 Subaru STI:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-04-26-mitsubishi_x.htm

It seems that Mitsubishi Motors are in financial turmoil. This turmoil in turn could make parts and service harder to come by one day. Basically, the more cars they sell, the better chance they have in staying in business and the better chance getting parts and service down the road. Also, what happens to your warranty and all the other goodies if your car's motor company goes belly up?

They could just disappear, leaving you scrambling for junkyard parts and aftermarket parts. This in turn would make the car more desirable to steal for parts. One example of this is the Chevrolet Caprice (model years 77, 84,87,89, 91). It has been on the top 10 lists of stolen cars for most of the past 20 years. It's a big old POS, but the demand for parts is so high that you can make a killing junking the thing for parts.

“These vehicles are most often taken for their parts which are no longer manufactured and are too difficult or expensive to obtain,” said Robert M. Bryant, president and chief executive officer of NICB, talking about the ten most stolen cars. “The individual car components are in high demand with ‘tuners’ or street racers.”

Also, I have had to deal with two girlfriends who own Mitsubishis. I constantly had to fix the stupidest things on those cars; I fixed things like HEGO’s breaking after 40K on the car fan belt pulleys coming off, a weird $90 sized battery (even at Wal-Mart), brakes that seem to be out of round again after only 200 miles. They also had such problems as collapsed lifters(who knew that could even happen) and the computer fail costing over $1000 to replace I don’t think the problem is me, I have rebuilt entire engines with no trouble. I never want to work on a Mitsubishi again! So I would not like to own one.

I looked at all the side-by-side comparisons before I made my decision and there was nothing better about the Evo was worth the trouble I felt I would have.

Oh and Mitsubshi Backed out fo WRC, cause there car keeps breaking! Imagine that.

So far I am very happy with my Subaru! I highly recommend it!

Atlas, I am convinced there is no way to change peoples minds. Chevy vs. Ford, Bush vs. Kerry, National Sales Tax vs. the IRS and National Income Tax, Subaru vs. Mitsubishi. Once people get an Idea in their heads there is very little changing them no matter how many ways you prove them incorrect. So there's my 2 cents!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts