ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2004/pr072504.htm

Legacy earns top rating in frontal test: The driver space was maintained with little intrusion into the occupant compartment. Dummy movement was well controlled, and all injury measures were low.

"The Legacy performed well across the board in the frontal test and earns a good rating and a 'best pick,'" Lund says.

Subaru recalls Legacy after side impact test: The Institute conducted two side impact crash tests of the Legacy. In the first test, the standard side curtain airbag deployed improperly, so the driver dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier. Subaru found that the side airbags weren't folded correctly at the factory where they were produced. Subaru corrected the problem and recalled Legacy models manufactured earlier. When the Institute tested another Legacy with the modified airbags, the driver side curtain inflated properly.

"The heads of the front and rear dummies were protected by the airbag," Lund says, "but other measures taken from the driver dummy indicated the likelihood of rib fractures and internal organ injuries plus the possibility of pelvic fractures. These kept the Legacy from earning a higher than marginal rating."

The Institute recently tested 13 midsize car designs, and only the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry with optional side airbags earned good ratings. The Chevrolet Malibu with side airbags was acceptable. The rest were poor.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I just dont see how a small car getting hit by an SUV is supossed to be perfect...i saw this on date line or something last night...they showed a toyota suv and the Legacy. the legacy was so much lower that the whole front of the barrier came innto the cabin, but with the SUV xince it was higher the sub fram took impact and kept the lower part of the barrier out.

I don't know...maybe they should put in ait back along the floor by the door or in the door.

Least with the Subie they are standard featurs and not options like the toyota.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts