Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just picked up a 2004 wrx sedan 1 1/2 weeks ago has about 400 miles on it. Ever since i brought it home it seems to wander all over the road especialy on the freeway. Is this something normal with an AWD car , i hope not cause it sucks. Im gonna bring it into the dealer this saturday to get it checked out . Anybody else have a problem like this?:mad: :confused:

·
Banned
968 Posts
Wanders all over the road??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean it doesnt drive straight, pulls left and right . Even seems like the rear end wants to go faster than the front end kinda weird feeling. Dunno if its just me , but thats how it feels

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I think you'll have to describe exactly what you mean by wandering all over. Are you talking about it slowing drifting towards another lane? Or are you talking about how it handles corners and seems to twitch all over?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is this happening with your hands on the steering wheel? :) That doesn't sound "normal" to me

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I think he might be a bit turned off by the soft steering bushings present. Perhaps a bit of memory steer?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes hands on the wheel even tried with them off to see if it is me moving the wheel , still does it. Its not like jerking right or left its a gradual drift . Im constantly trying to keep the car straight. I was reading online that this is caused by loose wheel bearings , improper alignment( i think it said caster ). Also noticed that when i turn left from a stand still i hear a knock noise up near the front of the car on the right side. When this happens i am going really slow. also if i turn the wheel a little and bring it back straight and keep repeatin it make the same noise. Im thinking maybee something in the front suspension is loose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you test drive the car BEFORE you purchased it and drove it home. If so, did you notice it "Wandering all over the road?", and still bought it???

:confused:

·
Registered
175 Posts
WrkdWRX said:
Did you test drive the car BEFORE you purchased it and drove it home. If so, did you notice it "Wandering all over the road?", and still bought it???

:confused:
Leave him alone! I didn't test drive my new Rex. It only had 8 miles on it.

This does not sound normal.

First, I would take it back and tell the dealer what is happening. Have them do an alignment. Insist on it.

Second, if the alignment doesn't help, then take it back again. Insist on them looking at your car. You are under warranty. The dealers should do everything possible to get this fixed.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
I agree with Billkid...this does not sound normal...especially coupled with the sound that you are hearing from the front of the car. At first I thought that it might be that you are tracking in the ruts of the road or differences in height between parts of the asphalt (as this is a problem here in constructionville (SOCAL) with my rex.

·
Registered
175 Posts
By any chance did you put the 19" rims on that car with that terrible offset? Read about his rim desires here:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33545
If you did, then that's your problem!

When you put rims on a car that are too big , you get tramlining . You have f'd with the suspension of the carby using bigger tires and moving the offset out so far from stock.

Read this!!!!!
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=335263
and this:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=385857

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nope haven put the 19"on yet waiting to go to the dealer first. Yea maybee it what you guys call truck ruts . I dont know never owned a new car expected it o drive straight . Even my wife made a comment to me about it , i to live in socal san diego . And yea the roads suck. Oh and no i didnt test drive it car is brand new thought it would be perfect.

·
Registered
213 Posts
No wandering or sounds like that, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
i had very similar problems with my nissan maxima. the knocking was exactly like you described and would get really bad, when it rained hard. and it seems to be on beat, the faster you go, the faster the knock is, and visa - versa. but it eventually just went away, but i think it might be bearings on the wheels or the rotors:confused:

but for the drifting thing, or "wandering" i just evened out my tire pressure and problem was solved. have you checked your tire pressure?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the car doest click when driving its like soething is lose so when i tern the wheel it makes a verry quiet clunk noise. i will just take it in have an apointment saturday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wandering steering

I had the same problem when I first got my04.The steering felt squirmy,like it wouldn't track straight and you had to constantly play with wheel to keep it straight.
First thing I did was check the air pressure in the tires,made sure they were exactly the same,my two fronts were off from each other by a pound,as were my rears from each other.( your recommended air pressure is on the inside drivers door panel)This helped a bit but still felt squirmy so I figured it was the tires.Now that I have alot more kilometers on the tires,they must have gotten broken in to the offset cause they are fine now.I've driven up to 180 kilometers and theres no wander to the steering.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts