Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've owned a 2004 WRX since new. Great car! I gave the car to my nephew. He's spent a ton of time shining it up. Unfortunately the brake lines went. His mother wants to donate it to the kidney foundation for $300. I'm sure it's worth more than that, even just the parts... I'm hoping my nephew can get some jingle to buy himself another as he loves the car. What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
If it runs I'll give her 500 for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
300 is getting ripped off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it runs great. The lines can be fixed but the dealership quoted a ridiculous $3500 to fix the brakes. The timing belt and water pump were done at 168k. It's got 225k. It's all stock. All maintenance was done on schedule, I think it's worth saving but wanted some advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wouldn't take it to the stealership. I prefer to work on the car myself. Could be a good experience for your nephew to get his hands dirty and do it himself

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. I decided if my nephew can't fix it, I'll pay to get it done. Thanks for the advice, you've confirmed what I thought.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
3500 for hard lines is a little steep in my opinion. You can buy a bender and brake line and do it yourself with some determination

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very steep. I sure I can get it done for under a grand. First I'll talk to my nephew. He polished it all winter. Worked on it at school shop then the brakes went the second day after he got his license. He was really proud to drive a standard.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Very steep. I sure I can get it done for under a grand. First I'll talk to my nephew. He polished it all winter. Worked on it at school shop then the brakes went the second day after he got his license. He was really proud to drive a standard.
That's a bummer haha, yeah I'd look for a quote from either somewhere other than the dealership or try and do it yourself. When I first got my WRX I had to do both the front wheel bearings. I suppose having to do major maintenance is just part of the initiation into ownership lol

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
In all seriousness, I bought a bunch of brake line, a bender, fluid, Teflon tape, and connectors for less than 150 bucks to fix my friends cars brake lines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts