Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a stock 04 wrx.the 2.0l turbo charged engine. I bought it when it had just under 50,000 miles, I've had it for a year now and it now has 64,000 on it and recently whenever I turn off the car after I've been driving for a while, it sounds like marbles bouncing around in the engine and this lasts for about 5 min after the car is turned off, also it doesn't Accelerate as good as it used to, I'm aware of turbo lag it's not that. Could this be a spark plug issue ? Detonation ? MAF sensor ? Idk help please. I'm new to the whole car scene. So I'm still learning.

·
Æternum
15,551 Posts
This is very surprising. You hear the noise AFTER the ignition has been cut?

Do you notice the coolant temperature get hotter than usual? Is the coolant overflow tank full and does the coolant look to be a normal color?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is very surprising. You hear the noise AFTER the ignition has been cut?

Do you notice the coolant temperature get hotter than usual? Is the coolant overflow tank full and does the coolant look to be a normal color?
Temperature stays the same' right in the middle, however I do notice the coolant empties out faster than usual, If I fill it to Max it'll probably run out in like a week or two, and yeah after the ignition is cut

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got a stock 04 wrx.the 2.0l turbo charged engine. I bought it when it had just under 50,000 miles, I've had it for a year now and it now has 64,000 on it and recently whenever I turn off the car after I've been driving for a while, it sounds like marbles bouncing around in the engine and this lasts for about 5 min after the car is turned off, also it doesn't Accelerate as good as it used to, I'm aware of turbo lag it's not that. Could this be a spark plug issue ? Detonation ? MAF sensor ? Idk help please. I'm new to the whole car scene. So I'm still learning.
Is it metallic marvel bouncing sound? that could be the heat shields cooling down.

If it sounds like marvels bouncing on wood, that could be bubbles in your coolant reservoir, which means one thing HEAD GASKET. or maybe a small fissure in one of the cylinder walls.

First things first. do a leak down test, fast results but a bit lengthy to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it metallic marvel bouncing sound? that could be the heat shields cooling down.

If it sounds like marvels bouncing on wood, that could be bubbles in your coolant reservoir, which means one thing HEAD GASKET. or maybe a small fissure in one of the cylinder walls.

First things first. do a leak down test, fast results but a bit lengthy to do.
Okay thank you, I will see what I can find.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Okay thank you, I will see what I can find.
Before you spend money doing a leak down test do this, get your car to operating temperature while is on your driveway, rev it up just a little bit and see if you get bubbles on your coolant overflow tank(white tank on right hand side of radiator looking from the front of your car) if you dont see bubbles then no need for leak down test.

If you hear popping sounds after you turn your car off im more inclined to think that the popping you are hearing are your heat shields ( metal cover of the manifolds).

You should be able to determine the sound by laying down in front and somewhat under your car on the driveway after a long drive (yes WRXs are high enough to get your head under the bumper and do an oil change without lifting the car).

If you hear the metallic popping sound then, like i said before, are the heat shields on the manifold shrinking = nothing to worry about= normal.

If you are in the Bay Area maybe i can check your car out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay I did that !! Thanks for the advice , I think you're right !! it might just be the heat shields, I'm glad it's normal though bc to someone who's barely learning about cars I thought I burnt out a component in the engine or something so thank you. and unfortunately I don't live in the Bay area, I'm in SD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts