ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 STI with 88,000 miles on it. It has run great until today. I live in the mountains west of Denver and was driving to Denver today. I have to climb Berthoud Pass ( which is always a lot of fun). I was almost to the top when suddenly had no power. I was turning about 5,500 rpm and had been running the engine pretty hard when it happened. I stopped at the top and looked at the engine compartment. A small amount of coolant looked like it had come from the coolant resevoir. I noticed the coolant resevoir was full and it looked like air bubbles were coming from the bottom of the reservoir. The engine heated up close to the hot mark on the gauge as the engine was idling while I was looking at it. Could not see anything that looked out of the ordinary. As soon as I started down the other side and all the way to Denver the engine ran in the normal heat range. When I would try to accelerate the boost gauge would go from a vacuum to 0, but no boost from the turbo. If anyone has any ideas on what could have happened I would be very appreciative.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
No cel codes?

It is hard to get 0 boost from anything other than a roasted turbo (without hearing a major boost leak). The wastegate spring itself should make 8psi and the ECU nor the BCS can do anything about that.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
You are going to have to pull the turbo and inspect it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You for your replies. I started the car yesterday after sitting for two days and drove it about 10 miles, the turbo was working, turned the engine off, parked it at a store, re started it, and drove another six miles at about 60 mph when I heard a noise like I had driven over something that had hit the underside of the car and the turbo boost stopped. This car is completely stock. If I have to replace the turbo, is this something a heating & A/C guy could do? I have looked at a new IHI VF39 from Celtic Motorsports, its $1,100.00. Are rebuilt ones dependable? Thanks again for all your help.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Do not buy a new turbo for that much...you can find VF39s and VF43s (turbo from 2007 STIs) pretty cheap used all over the place with decent mileage on them in good condition. Search around NASIOC and IWSTI classifieds. A simple swap out of turbos shouldn't be too terrible of a job. 4-5 hours or less with some beers on a Saturday.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Do not buy a new turbo for that much...you can find VF39s and VF43s (turbo from 2007 STIs) pretty cheap used all over the place with decent mileage on them in good condition. Search around NASIOC and IWSTI classifieds. A simple swap out of turbos shouldn't be too terrible of a job. 4-5 hours or less with some beers on a Saturday.
Shouldn't even take you that long if you know what you're doing and have an extra set of hands.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What all would need to be done to swap out an sti turbo on a wrx? Like anything to the fuel system, injectors, tune?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
What all would need to be done to swap out an sti turbo on a wrx? Like anything to the fuel system, injectors, tune?
It depends on the year WRX. I'd suggest a quick search or start a new thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts