Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'04 foglight bulb replacement

Here's what I've found to be the easiest way to change the bulbs in the '04 foglights. The bulbs are H3s btw, as stated in the WRX owners manual. Unlike the headlights, the manual doesn't give any instruction on how to change the foglights. It just says it will be too hard and to take it to the dealer. So here's my take on it.

The pictures are all of the passenger side fog light. Start by removing the plastic surround. It's just held in by small clips, so just pry it off with a flathead screwdriver. There's a little notch at the medial end of the surround that can get you started.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't go crazy, cause on the far side is one long tab that you don't want to break.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is one pop rivet and two 10mm bolts holding the foglight into a metal bracket. The rivet is easy to get too as you can see.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The two bolts can possibly be seen through the tow hook opening, to give you an idea of where they are.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To get to the two bolts, you can go underneath the car. Just to the outside of the splash guard, on both sides of the car, lies another piece of plastic shielding. It is only about as wide as the foglight area itself. It is held on by two pop rivets on the front and the side of it, four screw rivets on the back of it, and by being interleaved with the splashguard. All you really have to do is take out the pop rivet from the front and side of it, then pull it out a little from under the splash guard. You don't have to pull the whole thing out, just the front of it so you can reach the bolts. This pic is at a weird angle, so hopefully you can picture it with the splashguard labled.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once you've pulled the plastic piece down, you can get your hand and a ratchet up there to remove the two bolts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After that, the whole foglight assy can be slid forwards, the round connector in back opened, and you have access to the bulb. It's just like other H bulbs. Disconnect it's lead wires and undo the spring clip. No pictures of that as I'm sure people can figure it out. Hope this helps some other '04 owners.:)

·
Registered
878 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
Bump for 2004 Owners. I also retitled the thread so it will search easier.

-Jim
Thank you PPMotorsp.. err.. PlatinumW.. err..

Ok I'll just say "Thanks Jim" :)

When I replaced mine, I did it the "Slit your wrists way". It involved twisting my arm in ways not intended, and slicing myself from the plastic shielding :(

·
Registered
431 Posts
I found easiest to do it from underneather the car during an oil change. I didn't have remove anything from the car except the skid pan and the bulb. And I already had the skid pan off to change the oil. Easier your way though if you don't feel like jacking up the car, but I do suggest doing them during an oil change.

--Jay--

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I did this today, using the method posted with pictures. It didn't take longer than 15 minutes, start to finish. It's very simple.

FYI, ramps help a LOT in doing this.

Note: I bought 100watt bulbs, which come with a little tab on the metal ring on the outside of the bulb. You have to use pliers to carefully bend this tab back to make it fit. I shouldn't have to say this, but you can't touch the bulb before you put it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just did this myself using these instructions. Great write-up, thank you.

One thing I did learn though, is when reassembling everything, it's easier to do that pop tab that holds the foglight box in place (along with the two 10mm bolts) before putting the undertray part back on. I couldn't get enough force from just the front to pop that stupid tab in, and needed a supporting hand behind.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just did this, and removing the popout next to the fog lamp mount is not required. Whoever invented those annoying plastic popouts should just be beaten. I had one that was almost impossible to get out. Once i got it out i noticed why. It had a bunch of mud in it and would not come out until i hit it with water.

Thanks for the write up though, exactly what i needed. What a lame thing for Subaru to cheap out on in the manual. It wasnt that bad.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had my car less than 24 hours and wanted to install my PIAA bulbs. Thanks for this tutorial. I am sure it saved me a lot of time figuring out where those two bolts on the bottom were :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad I could help out. I put the PIAA Ion foglights in there so quickly after buying it that it was just silly. Nice combo, the Ions and 5.5k HIDs. Wish I still had the wagon. :sadwave:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Trailboss said:
I did this today, using the method posted with pictures. It didn't take longer than 15 minutes, start to finish. It's very simple.
Thanks for leaving me with burnt out fog lights, boss! Fortunately, I noticed before I took it in for inspection. These bulbs are WAY harder to replace than the bug eye design.

-Jim (new owner of Trailboss' car)

·
Registered
288 Posts
anyone with a fmic try this. im going home this weekend and am gonna put some bulbs in. Just wonderin if the piping gets in the way.

ps. its a txs fmic so the pipes are on the bottom unlike the perrin

·
Registered
2 Posts
damn rivets are a pain in the a$$...more like pain in the fingers though =[ but i got it done....That's a gay thing to do by subaru making it hard for us so they get money from it...:mad:

·
Banned
130 Posts
sorry to raise this thread from the dead but i noticed that someone put in the 100 watt h3's in instead of the recommended 55 watt. are there any detrimental effects from doing that? lower bulb life? (i also noticed that the bulbs were shot when the car ws sold :) )

thanx for any info!

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
I found easiest to do it from underneather the car during an oil change. I didn't have remove anything from the car except the skid pan and the bulb. And I already had the skid pan off to change the oil. Easier your way though if you don't feel like jacking up the car, but I do suggest doing them during an oil change.

--Jay--
This is the way I did them on my 04 STi. "Can I get a reacharound?":cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts