ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a bearing is going out on my stock turbo and was wondering if a TURBONETICS T3 T4 STAGE 3 turbo would be a good replacement/upgrade?

Also I know that It will require a custom uppipe and external wastegate.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,205 Posts
So a bearing is going out on my stock turbo and was wondering if a TURBONETICS T3 T4 STAGE 3 turbo would be a good replacement/upgrade?
No, because at the very least, as you know...

It will require a custom uppipe and external wastegate.
There are solutions that don't require either and also consider how you will remap the car. Look into Mitsubishi turbos for example. Maps are widely available so you will at least get started.

See the link in my signature for more info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should have mentioned that neither the uppipe nor the external wastegate are problems for me to get a hold of, or install. I had just found a Turbonetic T3/T4 but was concerned about it outmatching my engine, tranny etc. Also thank you for that link SD_GR, lotsa good stuff in there.

But back to my original question, WOULD it be too much for my car?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
That question is impossible to answer without a LOT more info. For instance, how do you use your car (daily driver, weekend toy, etc)? How important is long-term reliability to you? What money do you have to do the other necessary upgrades to your suspension and brakes to match that upgrade? What tuner are you going to use, and what does he have to say?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talking to a tuner tomorrow, it is a fun daily driver(if that makes any sense), long term reliability is very important, I am assuming that since you are suggesting better suspension and brakes this turbo is a LOT more powerful that I had thought. My current situation with spending money on my car is that whenever something breaks i will replace it with something better, otherwise i will accidentally drop obscene amounts of money into this car overnight.

·
29,205 Posts
If you have obscene money get a different car. If you have irrational money consider a relatively large Mitsubishi turbo plus pipes, fuel pump, injectors, and a map. If you have rational money do a STG 1 or something analogous. If you have sensible money, up pipe, down pipe, skip the map, skip all else and spend the rest on maintenance. In the latter case make an exception if you can borrow a laptop and cable and want to reflash DYI.

It's all about the kind of money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I have to replace the turbo or the bearings since they are going out, also it has a bigger fuel pump and injectors from the previous owner. What do you guys suggest then for a turbo upgrade where i do not have to rip out and replace the whole bottom end?

·
29,205 Posts
If it has a pump, it had a turbo in the past. If it has a pump and injectors and runs correctly, it's been mapped. If it's been mapped but the ECU locked (unlikely but feasible) you need to sort out what map is on there now and how to correct it, because a new turbo will require a new map.

Options: stock Mitsubishi turbo; 16G variants from small to large. Or, if you can find a VF series IHI turbo, you lose the ability to rebuild in the future but then again you're not doing that now even though you could, but you gain the advantage of retaining the stock TMIC generally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts