ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted here in awhile. But anyway, I've been strongly considering selling my 2003 WRX (or giving it to family) and getting a new 2012 WRX. I test drove a 2012 WRX a few weekends back and I could not believe how far along the WRX has come in 9 years. There was no comparison in how smooth and refined the 12' WRX was compared to my '03. Of course a lot of that is my '03 is almost 10 years old and has 113k miles. But the engine in the '12 was so smooth and almost no lag vs. my '03. I couldn't imagine how a 2012 Stage 2 must be. Just curious if any of you have gone from a bugeye to a 2009-2012 model and your feedback? Any regrets?

Just a side note I did test drive a '12 Mazdaspeed 3 immediately after the '12 WRX. I think it handled better and had a little better on the roll power like from 40-80 but I didn't like the torque steer I experienced at times. AWD has really spoiled me. Also, I do like the looks of the WRX much better.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went from an '02 to a '11 in September, and have had absolutely no regrets. I was on the fence for probably about 8 or 9 months trying to decide what I should do, but as you said the refinements in the new WRX make it well worth the switch in my opinion. It feels quicker, smoother, seems a little bigger in the cabin, gets the same mileage, and hardly made my insurance go up at all compared to the bugeye. I say as long as you can comfortably afford the payments, then go for it!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
If you can financially afford to give the bugeye away and get a '12 why not just keep both?

Personally, I will never sell my bugeye

·
Registered
120 Posts
why keep your bugeye and get a new one? hook family up with the joy of owning one of these cars... or sell it. no point in keeping both especially if you are driving it... insurance, registration, etc...

i had a 2009 and its my first subaru. i have driven my friends 03 plenty of times and the difference is huge. yes the parts are older but man... such a smooth ride and its so much quicker.

·
Registered N00b
263 Posts
I say keep the bugeye in the family. Then get the '12 wrx. Sell it to the wife? Lol

·
Registered
966 Posts
I got a 2011 STi as my first car, and all my friends who got brand new cars as their first cars always say they wish they had chose something else, Me myself, I explain to them how much I can't wait for the day I can walk into my dealership and purchase a brand new WRX under my own name. That being said.....my third car will 99% be another WRX/Sti

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got a 2011 STi as my first car, and all my friends who got brand new cars as their first cars always say they wish they had chose something else, Me myself, I explain to them how much I can't wait for the day I can walk into my dealership and purchase a brand new WRX under my own name. That being said.....my third car will 99% be another WRX/Sti
a lot can change in 6-10 years bruh. hopefully you wont be workin at mcdonalds and have to sell your 2011 STI to afford an abortion with a chinese hooker you met at bingo night while helping your blind grandmother find B-12.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lol turrbo, I'm feeling the love in this thread :)

My parents bought me my first vehicle, a 2006 Tacoma pickup (standard cab, 5 spd, 4 cyl, 2wd, only option was AC). I drove that all through college, and now that it's paid off... I'm looking at trading it.

I test drove the WRX, and now my truck feels like I'm rowing a boat when I shift! The acceleration is pitiful, and in general it's incredibly boring lol. While I appreciate the gift from my parents, I have a real job now, and that day when I can walk in and buy my own WRX is here!

Then they stop taking orders until July. Blah.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Lol turrbo, I'm feeling the love in this thread :)

My parents bought me my first vehicle, a 2006 Tacoma pickup (standard cab, 5 spd, 4 cyl, 2wd, only option was AC). I drove that all through college, and now that it's paid off... I'm looking at trading it.

I test drove the WRX, and now my truck feels like I'm rowing a boat when I shift! The acceleration is pitiful, and in general it's incredibly boring lol. While I appreciate the gift from my parents, I have a real job now, and that day when I can walk in and buy my own WRX is here!

Then they stop taking orders until July. Blah.
OH fashow brudda. im glad youre much older than myself. because i still have that opportunity to knock up a hooker.... i live in nevada so the chances are high. i just hope she can impress my parents enough to change their stereotype that all hookers are slooots..... most just do it to get money for crack. i see no harm in extracurriculars.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know man, I missed my opportunity. I'm stuck with a decent job and a faithful girlfriend. I envy your opportunity.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went from an '02 to a '11 in September, and have had absolutely no regrets. I was on the fence for probably about 8 or 9 months trying to decide what I should do, but as you said the refinements in the new WRX make it well worth the switch in my opinion. It feels quicker, smoother, seems a little bigger in the cabin, gets the same mileage, and hardly made my insurance go up at all compared to the bugeye. I say as long as you can comfortably afford the payments, then go for it!
Great feedback - thanks! That's about how long I have been on the fence and I agree about how much roomier it feels in the cabin. That really surprised me.

If you can financially afford to give the bugeye away and get a '12 why not just keep both?
We really don't have enough room in our driveway. :(

I say keep the bugeye in the family. Then get the '12 wrx. Sell it to the wife? Lol
You know what's funny is my dad is the one who drools over my WRX. Hence, he's the one whom I was thinking of giving it to. LOL. Plus he lives in Iowa where AWD is very useful.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Hey if you want the bugeye to go to a good home, I have space. Send her my way, I'll take the sloppy seconds.

a lot can change in 6-10 years bruh. hopefully you wont be workin at mcdonalds and have to sell your 2011 STI to afford an abortion with a chinese hooker you met at bingo night while helping your blind grandmother find B-12.

Best response evar ^

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
why keep your bugeye and get a new one?
Because the Bugeye is the best Subaru to ever hit the U.S. and getting rid of one is a travesty. Ask a lot of the guys who had bugeyes for a long time and got rid of them...They miss them. There is no replacement for Bugeye love

1 - 13 of 13 Posts