ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 WRX, bone stock. I absolutely love the car, but I've noticed something weird. I am not new to turbo cars, but I am new to turbo 5-spd cars. If I am in second and I run it up to about 3500rpm, pull my foot off gas and hit clutch, the car revs up to about 5000 rpm. This is with my foot completely off the gas, shifting like a sane person and not ripping it.

Is this normal, or what could be causing this? Not sure if it is a turbo thing or a weird my car thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:rotfl: I love that movie.

Thinking about it, it may actually do it between first and second too, but I might just shift too fast for it to be noticable. By the time I'm going in to third I've slowed down a bit with the shifting just because I'm up to speed.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I suspect the clutch....but that's just a reach.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Whether you believe it or not it is probably your foot sitting on the gas peddle slightly. Most people have that issue when they start driving these cars. It used to happen to me but as I got used to the car it stopped. To test this simply rev to 3500, take your foot off the gas completely (like back on the floor far away) and then once its sat down push down the clutch. I think you will see that it doesn't rev up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not the clutch, that wouldn't explain why it free wheels when the clutch is pressed and I'm not on the gas.

It might actually be my foot, but I swear I tried to pull my foot way off. I may not have though. I have a 6-spd Trans Am, drives a lot different than this car does.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll see on the way home.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,475 Posts
Check the two throttle linkages (one is cruise control) on top of motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Floor mat was getting hung up under the pedal. Fixed now.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Floor mat was getting hung up under the pedal. Fixed now.
Nice. I definitely should have thought of that. My old Nissan actually had a recall for that. They added 2 clips to the floor mats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I didn't even notice that the mat had come off of that cheap plastic pin and slid down that way.

I'm going to try and figure something out. I put it on that pin and by the time I get to where I am going the damn thing has come off and slid back down again.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Didn't know you had a Toyota! :rotfl:

Glad it's fixed :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts