Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hopefully someone can see this and help me out. I recently got a 2003 wrx with not too many mods. It got flagged and currently trying to get it to state ref spec. We had to replace the induction hose to oem and sent it to a dealership to do so. When we got it back I noticed it sounded weak and sounded like it was struggling a bit. It had a rough idle. So I drove it home thinking nothing too much and went out later that day to get a check engine light. Checked my AP and all 4 cylinders were misfiring! The car has always ran lean so didn’t think too much of that being the issue (I know it’s not the best for the wrx). I started to do some research and found some things. I put in new ignition coils, that didn’t work. I got a new fuel filter. That didn’t work either. I want to try new spark plugs soon but I feel like it is a fueling issue. Now the 4 cylinder misfire only appears sometimes but even when the code hasn’t shown up it still feels off. Open to any suggestions! Thank you!
Right now I only have a K&N intake on and an aftermarket midpipe and stage 1 OTS
(Also had the stage 1 tune on when it went into the dealership, not sure if they messed with the ecu)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
I don't know if your map matches those parts but it doesn't matter because you can't keep the parts, so you can't keep the map. The intake isn't CARB, is it? And no pipe would be anyway.

Fit the correct intake and the correct exhaust, check for vacuum leaks, and flash the correct (stock) map.

Does it run OK then?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if your map matches those parts but it doesn't matter because you can't keep the parts, so you can't keep the map. The intake isn't CARB, is it? And no pipe would be anyway.

Fit the correct intake and the correct exhaust, check for vacuum leaks, and flash the correct (stock) map.

Does it run OK then?
Hi! Thank you! But the intake was one of the few that is carb legal and they said the tubing was too, just the turbo inlet hose needed to be changed to either one that is CARB legal or oem. And when we first got it it had a straight pipe but still ran lean. Not sure if it could be a fuel pump issues or injectors now since it’s not the fuel filter. And I’ve been wanting to do a vacuum test but many people make it sound more difficult than it probably is? Any tips on the vacuum leak test?

·
19,727 Posts
Wait, let's back up.

If I understood correctly:

You have a CARB intake.

You have an OEM inlet hose (I know of no aftermarket CARB inlets).

The inlet hose, intercooler hoses, fuel pressure regulator connection on the passenger side under the OEM intake near the intake manifold, and MAF sensor are all connected correctly and not leaking.

The MAF sensor harness is facing toward the nose of the car.

You are running a map THAT IS MADE FOR THAT SPECIFIC K&N INTAKE.

You have a STOCK exhaust.

If I'm mistaken on any detail above, I recommend changing things until I'm right (make the list, as posted, come true).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes
Wait, let's back up.

If I understood correctly:

You have a CARB intake.

You have an OEM inlet hose (I know of no aftermarket CARB inlets).

The inlet hose, intercooler hoses, fuel pressure regulator connection on the passenger side under the OEM intake near the intake manifold, and MAF sensor are all connected correctly and not leaking.

The MAF sensor harness is facing toward the nose of the car.

You are running a map THAT IS MADE FOR THAT SPECIFIC K&N INTAKE.

You have a STOCK exhaust.

If I'm mistaken on any detail above, I recommend changing things until I'm right (make the list, as posted, come true).
Yes I’ve been checking for any noticeable leaks and can’t find any, there is some residue that sits on top of the cold side of the turbo but can’t find any leaking. I do have the k&n intake but not tuned specifically for it just have an ots tune. Would you think throwing a stock air box in and waiting until I can get a pro tune?
And mainly more concerned about the misfires as the car has been running lean ever since. I’m not sure if it running lean for too long could make it misfire but not sure.
I also checked my AP and doesn’t say anymore misfire but still sounds like it’s misfiring.

·
19,727 Posts
Taking one thing at a time, either get a map FOR THAT INTAKE or go to a stock map and a stock intake. Then check the rest on the list and see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taking one thing at a time, either get a map FOR THAT INTAKE or go to a stock map and a stock intake. Then check the rest on the list and see what happens.
I think I’ll try to go back to stock map and put stock air box in because right now I can’t get a good map specifically for that intake. Thank you for your time! I will come back and let you know if it works!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I’ll try to go back to stock map and put stock air box in because right now I can’t get a good map specifically for that intake. Thank you for your time! I will come back and let you know if it works!
Hey just wanted to say thank you for your suggestions but I guess they didn’t plug the bpv in all the way. I was driving today and noticed a slight flutter from the turbo and knew that wasn’t good. Plugged the hose back in and boom! Perfect. Hopefully I dont speak too soon! Tomorrow morning will be the ultimate test

1 - 8 of 8 Posts