Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
227hp/217tq vs 215hp/245tq....... I've heard mixed reviews on whos faster, so let the debate begin. Myself, I think the WRX would win, but not by much.

Sicc

·
Registered
64 Posts
Siccmade said:
227hp/217tq vs 215hp/245tq....... I've heard mixed reviews on whos faster, so let the debate begin. Myself, I think the WRX would win, but not by much.

Sicc
We'll have to see one hit the ground first in the real world. Again I'll state plainly - the world sure is paying attention to our little car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Siccmade said:

Sicc
You should see the debate on ClubRSX!!! Its over 50 pages long :D

I own a RSX-S and I don't understand why people get their panties in a wad...to be honest with you, if you look strictly at numbers (HP/tq/weight) it seems like the SR-T will outrun the Type S 0-60 and 1/4 mile...handling is yet to be determined.
But from the stats I've seen, the SR-T goes 0-60 in 5.9 so it seems that you'll edge it out by a 1/2 sec. 0-60 and I think its boosting smaller than you are...it may have more torque, but your AWD will put it to the ground at the start so your power should take over from there.

Plus, I figure the SR-T won't be nearly as reliable as the Subbies...not a knock on Dodge, more like high praise for the Subaru.

Just my .02 cents.

*EDITED for language* lets keep it clean for the children :) wrxi.t.h

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think the fate of this car will depend on if it is very mod-acceptable. If its easily modded, then we'll be seeing tons of them around. Too bad they are FWD though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Re: 2003 Neon SRT-4???

smokey said:

Plus, I figure the SR-T won't be nearly as reliable as the Subbies...not a knock on Dodge, more like high praise for the Subaru

smokey -

From what I read at some point in time, the SRT-4 would have the same engine that the Eclipse had? Anybody else see that??

·
Registered
932 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2003 Neon SRT-4???

boosted 4 said:
smokey -
From what I read at some point in time, the SRT-4 would have the same engine that the Eclipse had? Anybody else see that??
Funny you should say that. I mentioned to a friend how I assumed the SRT would have a Mistubishi engine, just as my old Dodge Shadow did. My friend insisted that he read the engine would be all Dodge, like the Neon's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It will be a 2.4L version of the 420A motor that is in the Current and past neons. I heard throught the rumor mill that the Turbine housing and Exhaust manifold are one piece. So iif you go for a turbo upgrade you will have to replace the whole assembly.

But of course Mopar performance will have turbo upgrades :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Siccmade said:

Sicc
227hp/217tq vs 205hp/220tq

i think we have the edge.. the only problem may be at the top end depending on their gearing, but the claim a 140+ top speed so they are probably geared long as well.
stock vs stock i think it will defanitely be a drivers race, but we should be faster

·
Registered
679 Posts
Corrosive said:
Its still a Neon.

Mike
Exactly. It should be a great performing (straight line) car, with lots of potential, but I wouldn't drive a neon unless I had too. I'd link of it as a GS-T type setup. Fast from a roll.

What I DON'T like, is that pseudo hoodscoop which, to me, is just blantantly jocking the WRX. That's annoying.

Fast, but just not my style.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's gonna be quick. But even if they put a limited slip diff on it, it's going to have problems with traction. FWD blows for performance driving. If they don't put limited slip on it, forget about it. These guys will be doing hilarious right wheel burnouts while we disappear into the distance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
FUNKED1 said:

Don't get too carried away. WRX is still an Impreza.
Oh come on! A Neon is SH!T and everybody knows it...Have you ever been in a Neon?? I rented quite a few last year when my car was having an engine rebuild and I'd never, ever OWN one with even 400hp or whatever. They really do suck! :eek:

·
Registered
223 Posts
boosted 4 said:

Oh come on! A Neon is SH!T and everybody knows it...Have you ever been in a Neon?? I rented quite a few last year when my car was having an engine rebuild and I'd never, ever OWN one with even 400hp or whatever. They really do suck! :eek:
Been in a new neon? They are a whole lot nicer and better than the older ones. I used to own a 1984 Subaru GL-10 and IT SUCKED. Maybe I should just assume that all Subarus suck now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
true dat... lets not pass judgement on a car that isn't out yet with no aftermarket support as yet. i give mopar props to release another turbo compact! the more the merrier i say. on the street, stock for stock, a wrx should beat it cuz awd is almost untouchable.

about it being unreliable... im sure it will have its fair share of gremlins as the rest of newer year cars that are out... just like wrx tranny woes doesn't mean the wrx are garbage

·
Registered
99 Posts
boosted 4 said:

Oh come on! A Neon is SH!T and everybody knows it...Have you ever been in a Neon?? I rented quite a few last year when my car was having an engine rebuild and I'd never, ever OWN one with even 400hp or whatever. They really do suck balls! :eek:
Right, and that is what S4 and 330xi owners says when they talk about WRX. "It is just a Subaru!" Give me a break. :rolleyes:
If I have a 400hp Neon, I would love to use it and smoke you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
jk147 said:

Right, and that is what S4 and 330xi owners says when they talk about WRX. "It is just a Subaru!" Give me a break. :rolleyes:
If I have a 400hp Neon, I would love to use it and smoke you.
But you don't have a 400whp car so let's be realistic. I said Neon not Dodge! The new Neons that I've been in suck. All Dodges aren't created equally as you know. How 'bout a Viper compared to a Neon :rolleyes: You can't even say the two at once. So let's not start saying Subaru or Dodge, I said NEON!

Concerning S4 and 330xi owners, I'd have to say that there are probably a handful out there that are pulling 12's and sh!t loads of WRX's in the 12's. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day (a VW driver) and he was like "WRX's in the 12's are a dime a dozen these days". How true. So the BMW and Audi guys can say what ever they want.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm starting to change my mind about the SRT-4 simply based on Dodge's efforts in the SCCA, both Autocross and Rally. If they're willing to abuse their cars in that way and race their product, I'm willing to cut them some slack. Now Chryslers QC is a whole different story. I doubt that the current 2.4L in those cars now will hold up over the long haul, but who knows. They don't look too bad and have some cool features. I hope the first one I run into is driven by someone cool rather than a "wiggi-hoozikes" with his golf cap on backwards and a F&F attitude.

I took a look at the powertrain at the NAIAS 2002 and it was interesting. IIRC the turbo and manifold were not one piece, but I could be wrong. I was more interested in the WRX and EVO displays.

I hope it sells and sells and draws all the wannabe's away from the WRX leaving it for the true fans to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
All the big 3 basically design their cars to only last 75,000 miles or so. Often times they do last longer, but that's down to fate.

I saw the comment about the '84 GL-10. Don't know what you thought sucked, but those cars last FOREVER. You still see tons on the road around here.

I had a buddy back in high school who shared one with his dad. They were both alcoholics, so the car was wrecked (minorly) several times. It was driven by all sorts of kids, ages 15 to 18. We used to 4x4 it, take it free skiing at Loveland pass and load it up with so many people you had to put it in low range to make it up the pass. It got almost no maintenance in its early years. Many years later he sold it for $1500 with 250,000 miles on it - all original drivetrain save the clutch and CVs. The car also crawled out of incredibly deep snow banks, where you would have thought it would take a tow-truck to yank it out. That doesn't exactly suck.

On the other hand, my father-in-law is a Dodge salesman and says he would never spend his own money on one. Says he cringes when he lies to people saying "these are the best built cars in the world". But that's what the job is about.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts