Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I was wondering if you guys could help me tackle a problem I've been having since last oil change. I had some work done on the motor by a mechanic; he did the cam seals, crank seal, valve cover gaskets, and replaced the oil pan and dipstick tube, all oem parts. Now every time I check the oil the dipstick is dry for the most part, sometimes there is a thin line of oil on one of the sides of the stick, only on the edge though, I do not know if that signifies anything. And yes, car is on a flat surface, and I checked it both hot and cold. Any ideas? Using Mobil 1 5w-30, and I added half a quart in last night to be safe, but still nothing on the dipstick. Any opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are you not adding oil until it shows up solid on the stick?
Because I simply do not understand how at least a quart of oil could have disappeared that quickly, unless the mechanic never put in 5 quarts. Plus, if there really is 4.5-5 quarts in there I do not want to overfill it by adding another full quart. I might dump another half a quart in to see if anything shows up, but I doubt it.Literally, checked it as soon as I got it back from the shop, and it was bone dry. I dismissed it as nothing, telling myself I would wait until my next oil change and see how much is really in the car because I heard many things about the dipsticks on the boxers not being the most accurate thing in the world, very sensitive to elevation as the stick goes in at an angle. 3000 miles later and I am about to see how much is REALLY in the sump. I just wanted to poke around for some information on the matter, and see if this is actually a weird problem people have. I have already read a few threads about it on different forums.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This.

And your going to be having him do more work soon if you keep running it dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Just threw another quart in, dipstick still dry. That's all the oil I have on me. I am going to run to the store tonight and do an oil change. I'll post here the results of how much was in the sump after the change. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
Well yeah, you said it's not appearing on the dip stick. It's likely more than a quart low. If by a long shot the mechanic put in a bigger sump you'll need to add oil to meet the level. But unless the dipstick tube is welded shut you need more oil. If you are worried. Drain it and verify our assumption

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Just threw another quart in, dipstick still dry. That's all the oil I have on me. I am going to run to the store tonight and do an oil change. I'll post here the results of how much was in the sump after the change. Thanks for the replies guys.
Keep adding until the dipstick is not dry. Simple enough.

How many miles on the oil change? Mobile 1 has been known to not do well in turbo motors. It sheers at a much quicker rate than most other oils in these motors thus making it easier to burn, and less effective at lubricating the internal components.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Well yeah, you said it's not appearing on the dip stick. It's likely more than a quart low. If by a long shot the mechanic put in a bigger sumo you'll need to add oil to meet the level. But unless the dipstick tube is welded shut you need more oil. If you are worried. Drain it and verify our assumption

:yeahthat: oil is cheap.. motors are not. get a pan with volume markings (or mark yourself) drain oil and verify how much is in there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well yeah, you said it's not appearing on the dip stick. It's likely more than a quart low. If by a long shot the mechanic put in a bigger sump you'll need to add oil to meet the level. But unless the dipstick tube is welded shut you need more oil. If you are worried. Drain it and verify our assumption

The tube and sump were both OEM from the dealer, I bought and picked them up myself as well as delivered them to the mechanic personally. I don't mess around when someone else is doing work on my car, the only reason HE was doing the work was because I did not have enough time to do it myself at the time. My general assumption with the mechanic was that he did not put 5 quarts in the motor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep adding until the dipstick is not dry. Simple enough.

How many miles on the oil change? Mobile 1 has been known to not do well in turbo motors. It sheers at a much quicker rate than most other oils in these motors thus making it easier to burn, and less effective at lubricating the internal components.
I am just over 3000, and what oil would you guys recommend if not Mobil 1? I always heard this "rumor" about Mobil 1 not being the best oil for a turbo car, but many reputable sources dismissed it as a hoax.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,041 Posts
The tube and sump were both OEM from the dealer, I bought and picked them up myself as well as delivered them to the mechanic personally. I don't mess around when someone else is doing work on my car, the only reason HE was doing the work was because I did not have enough time to do it myself at the time. My general assumption with the mechanic was that he did not put 5 quarts in the motor.
So did you drain it out to check yet?

Bottom line is that the dipstick should never be dry, just like everyone has been telling you.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,041 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
Yeah Subaru says a quart per 1000 miles is normal, that would be deadly to your engine if you consistently never check it.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
How is the dipstick awkward? Yeah you are nearly a quart low after putting a quart or more in it. You were way low

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How is the dipstick awkward? Yeah you are nearly a quart low after putting a quart or more in it. You were way low

Because from what I've researched I've found that such distance between the holes on the dipstick represents a quart. After adding a quart and bringing it up to almost 4 and a half quarts, it still read no oil, where as it should have been just above the low dot. Once again, after adding a quart, the dipstick had literally nothing on it. No residue, nothing on the little twisted part on the bottom, nothing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts