ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 wrx Wag. I owned for 3 years did a full head gasket repair replacing every seal an gasket in between to get there. Car is stock except for exhaust and air intake. It has misfire before on multiple cylinders but that was a boost leak on turbo inlet fixed by replacing y pipe. I have replaced all plugs and coil packs. Car runs fine but i still get the cylinder 2 misfires after everything i have tired. Grounds are all clean and fine. Next idea is to clean and maybe replace fuel injector. But that's a B to get to.

Please help I have tried most things.

·
Æternum
20,563 Posts
Use a logger to determine your fuel trims.

If it's a single injector, that may be hard to determine from the fuel trims alone, but you might see some variation depending.

Another option is to dig into the old bag of hotrodding tricks: drive the car at a constant load and cut the ignition. Pull the and read the plug in cylinder 2. Plug reading is nearly foolproof if you are good at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use a logger to determine your fuel trims.

If it's a single injector, that may be hard to determine from the fuel trims alone, but you might see some variation depending.

Another option is to dig into the old bag of hotrodding tricks: drive the car at a constant load and cut the ignition. Pull the and read the plug in cylinder 2. Plug reading is nearly foolproof if you are good at it.
Thanks for your reply. Can you help me understand a little better on what you mean by "drive the car at a constant load and cut the ignition. Pull the and read the plug in cylinder 2. "

·
Æternum
20,563 Posts

Enjoy the trip to the past!

This article calls for doing a power a run before cutting ignition. Given how modern Turbo engines are tuned for very rich mixtures, I wouldn't recommend this since it tells you nothing. Instead, you are concerned with a fueling delivery issue to one cylinder, not if you have jetted your car properly.

Finding a proper place to do this test will be most of your work. You will need to accelerate the car to say 0.5-0.8 Calculated load and drive at that load for about a minute, then IMMEDIATELY cut the ignition and coast the car to a stop. Do NOT let the car idle AT ALL. Pull the plug for Cylinder 2 and read the plug per the article at the beginning of this post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts