ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just put my 2002 WRX away for winter, that means it’s time to get started on the build! I’ve put together a little list of what I’m thinking of getting, let me know if there’s anything that should be added or removed from the list.

Invidia Bellmouth Catless Downpipe
Invidia N1 Catback (Already Have)
Invidia Up Pipe - Still Undecided
Invidia UEL Headers - Still Undecided
Cobb Air Intake
Cobb Acessport (Already Have)
Process West TMIC - still undecided

Wavespec Rotors
Hawk Breakpads
K Sport, BC Or Silvers Coilovers - Still Undecided

I do plan on doing a 6 speed swap hopefully next summer until then I’d like to stay around 300-320 hp. I also plan on going the timing belt and water pump before winters over, and a pro tune after everything is installed.

·
11,433 Posts
Price a real suspension first then decide what you need next. Avoid the 1000 dollar brands. Look for white line, ohlin, kw, race comp engineering, etc.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price a real suspension first then decide what you need next. Avoid the 1000 dollar brands. Look for white line, ohlin, kw, race comp engineering, etc.
yeah I was actually considering white lines as well. Just haven’t had much luck finding a set. Everything else look good on the list?

·
Æternum
20,658 Posts
Talk this over with your tuner. They will likely have valuable input.

Agreed on the suspension -- this is NOT a place you want to skimp.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,285 Posts
I'd skip the headers, skip the IC, skip the coils. I'd skip the intake.

Any reputable up pipe ought to do. Likewise the down pipe.

The 6spd swap makes zero sense so I'd not even give it a single thought.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd skip the headers, skip the IC, skip the coils.

Correct me if I’m wrong but firstly the 6 speed is stronger then the 5 speed. Secondly bug eye STis are not yet legal in the states and that model is my favorite so there for the swap is the only option.

also current suspension is getting quite bad, so I’m looking at getting Coilovers might as well do them if it needs new suspension anyway.

·
11,433 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but firstly the 6 speed is stronger then the 5 speed. Secondly bug eye STis are not yet legal in the states and that model is my favorite so there for the swap is the only option.

also current suspension is getting quite bad, so I’m looking at getting Coilovers might as well do them if it needs new suspension anyway.
As long as you are aware that the bill for this will likely run multiple times your cars value then you should be able to. The sti 6 speed is more durable but it's not as straight forward is just bolting one in.

Reactions: zax

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As long as you are aware that the bill for this will likely run multiple times your cars value then you should be able to. The sti 6 speed is more durable but it's not as straight forward is just bolting one in.
Completely understand that, the car currently only has 80k original miles. So that’s down the line from now.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,285 Posts
The 6 speed is stronger. Swapping it into a WRX will result in... a WRX. I'd not do it at this point, but that's just me. It's cheaper to buy several 5 speed gearboxes as necessary. If you really want to DIY a US WRX with STi bits, find a US blobeye STi from an enthusiast -- these are the kind of cars that are wrapped around a tree. The engine will be shot because the enthusiast will have modified it. The body will be shot because of the tree. But the gearbox, steering rack, brakes, and whatever suspension survived the apparently insurmountable urge to fit bad coilovers ought to be OK. See if you can pull the seats and door covers too I suppose.

I've had my bugeye since new, eventually wore out the dampers. I stayed with Kayaba but switched to the AGX. I changed the bar mounts and the front bar, and I changed the steering bushings. That's it. If you want coilovers for sure then look at KW. They are suitable for road use. If I had to do it all again I'd still get Kayabas because I'm not driving around on coilovers for zero reason and Konis are great but they're more expensive and require some dentistry to the tops of the McPhersons.

Reactions: RiiWRX

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suppose that is true, as I said for now I’m sticking with the 5 speed until later on. I’m planning to get the car around STI hp numbers or a little more. I’ve never built a subie so I’m not quite sure from what I listed I exactly should go with.

·
11,433 Posts
I suppose that is true, as I said for now I’m sticking with the 5 speed until later on. I’m planning to get the car around STI hp numbers or a little more. I’ve never built a subie so I’m not quite sure from what I listed I exactly should go with.
I believe the uppipe is a mission critical change if it has the cat in it. The cat has a tendency to blow through the turbo destroying it.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe the uppipe is a mission critical change if it has the cat in it. The cat has a tendency to blow through the turbo destroying it.
That’s what I’ve heard from others as well. Does it make sense to do headers as long as I’m in there? Or just stick with the the OEM?

·
Æternum
20,658 Posts
You need to heed my advice and develop a relationship with a tuner.

This "throw things at the wall and hope they'll stick" doesn't fly for long term planning. The fact that you've asked about "headers while in there" proves my point.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,701 Posts
Man, tough room. ;)

·
Æternum
20,658 Posts
Well hi Ray. It's been some time....

·
Registered
44 Posts
"I do plan on doing a 6 speed swap hopefully next summer until then I’d like to stay around 300-320 hp. "

The mods in your first post won't get you anywhere close to that horsepower.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same car except in wagon form.
Mods I've done that may help you out. Engine and trans is mostly stock. Car pulls strong and can be better. Still needs a tune and injectors.

STI IC, AfterMAF hose, Turbo inlet hose, K&N drop in filter, Exedy oem style clutch, TIC shifter linkage, WL trans bushings, Walbro 255 fuel pump, WL rear diff bushings, Grimmspeed crosspipe & uppipe, Stromung shorty divorced dp, IAG air oil separator, STI axel back

Suspension: KYB housing cut to fit Koni cartridges/ Swift sport springs, 22mm Cusco sways, STI GC FLCA, WL bushings for all, Rear Cusco STB, Group-N tophats, WL lateral arms, WL endlinks & roll center, WL ALK, rear camber bolts, WL rack and pinion bushings, basically all bushings are replaced with WL
04 STI 17x7.5 wheels with Michelin Super Sports 225/45/17
Painted the wheels graphite and were silver
04 STI Brembos calipers F & R, J-hook front rotors with rear slotted rotors
Autometer EGT & boost gauges installed by previous owner

STI JDM hood scoop and front grill, some knock off front lip

04 STI seats, '12 STI shift knob, 07 STI center console & steering wheel

I am looking at Ohlins FPS but it takes some money and work to fit 5x114.3 knuckles from LIC

a pic before I painted the sideskirts and repainted the bumpers

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd skip the headers, skip the IC, skip the coils. I'd skip the intake.

Any reputable up pipe ought to do. Likewise the down pipe.

Good advice from SD-GR and WRX I entirely agree and will go further ...installing a heater might be more worthwhile in winter than setting fire to cash for the wallet-thinning fantasies . Chinese stuff offered for Subaru is rubbish notably the coil-overs which I see so commonly used...If you must go that way go Bilstein.

The tuners and 'add-on' vendors for Subaru owners are essentially 'candy men' offering an addiction mitigater. Headers are a waste of time, extractors may make sense but my advice on both from Subaru mechanics is 'forget it'.

The choice seems to be based around exhaust rumble, which gives an idea of the level of thinking about throwing cash around...and devaluing the car.

The 6 speed transmission swap requires a lot more than you may realise and the advantages are 'in the mind' for street driving...It was a different thing changing 4 speed boxes in some cars for 5 speed (overdrive) boxes. It was cheap and a bonus.

If you want an STI..sell your car and buy one is my advice...or perspective. Looked-after it will hold sales value unlike your projected WRX.

Stick with tyres, suspension and brakes..and by the way I understand camber plates on Subaru slip... and there is a much simpler way of achieving camber adjustment. The STI improved castor can be cheaply introduced by buying the arms. When I bought mine...I then found, when it was having suspension re-done that. they'd been already changed. My vehicle had been relieved of its 'big engine' at some stage but some gear was not worth the expense of replacing...e/g. brakes had been rebuilt but then a numbskull bought it (not me that time) and changed the leaking water pump and belt but not the idlers, seals etc. Hopefully water was not leaking into the sump. I have now fixed all that and have installed 'bug-eye' STI shocks springs strut brace (as original..all lovely pink) radiator rather than Bilstein coil overs....and every car I have owned and driven in 59 years has had shocks rebuilt to double action (30-40's) and later Bilsteins and or Bilstein Eibach. I want to get an idea of how the STI suspension feels before going to Bilstein.

I think Subaru and Fuji knew what they were doing when designing Subaru and they met various national requirements and insurance requirements. What you propose could see your insurance voided...when tested. If you like the bug eye (mine is) then keep it as original as possible and 'compliant'. SD-GR gave good advice too on gearbox prices. My suggestion..? drive your car like a competent driver who understand the limitations...if you blow your 6 speed you'll be perhaps looking at $3000-5000 for a rebuild.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good advice from SD-GR and WRX I entirely agree and will go further ...installing a heater might be more worthwhile in winter than setting fire to cash for the wallet-thinning fantasies . Chinese stuff offered for Subaru is rubbish notably the coil-overs which I see so commonly used...If you must go that way go Bilstein.

The tuners and 'add-on' vendors for Subaru owners are essentially 'candy men' offering an addiction mitigater. Headers are a waste of time, extractors may make sense but my advice on both from Subaru mechanics is 'forget it'.

The choice seems to be based around exhaust rumble, which gives an idea of the level of thinking about throwing cash around...and devaluing the car.

The 6 speed transmission swap requires a lot more than you may realise and the advantages are 'in the mind' for street driving...It was a different thing changing 4 speed boxes in some cars for 5 speed (overdrive) boxes. It was cheap and a bonus.

If you want an STI..sell your car and buy one is my advice...or perspective. Looked-after it will hold sales value unlike your projected WRX.

Stick with tyres, suspension and brakes..and by the way I understand camber plates on Subaru slip... and there is a much simpler way of achieving camber adjustment. The STI improved castor can be cheaply introduced by buying the arms. When I bought mine...I then found, when it was having suspension re-done that. they'd been already changed. My vehicle had been relieved of its 'big engine' at some stage but some gear was not worth the expense of replacing...e/g. brakes had been rebuilt but then a numbskull bought it (not me that time) and changed the leaking water pump and belt but not the idlers, seals etc. Hopefully water was not leaking into the sump. I have now fixed all that and have installed 'bug-eye' STI shocks springs strut brace (as original..all lovely pink) radiator rather than Bilstein coil overs....and every car I have owned and driven in 59 years has had shocks rebuilt to double action (30-40's) and later Bilsteins and or Bilstein Eibach. I want to get an idea of how the STI suspension feels before going to Bilstein.

I think Subaru and Fuji knew what they were doing when designing Subaru and they met various national requirements and insurance requirements. What you propose could see your insurance voided...when tested. If you like the bug eye (mine is) then keep it as original as possible and 'compliant'. SD-GR gave good advice too on gearbox prices. My suggestion..? drive your car like a competent driver who understand the limitations...if you blow your 6 speed you'll be perhaps looking at $3000-5000 for a rebuild.
Hey thanks for the advice just saw this now.
Yeah I am planning on getting KW suspension now.
Besides that I’ll probably throw on some sway bars and bushings.
Do the exhaust, up pipe and down pipe. Along with a air intake and tune.
Besides that I’m not doing much more, gauges, replacing OEM stuff so it’s new, etc.

I was just throwing around the idea of a six speed swap since I am in school and working at a mechanic shop currently and could possibly do it once I graduate here next year.

On another note as you said upgrade brakes. I do plan on doing that as well, just trying to figure out what route I should go.
I was either going to do wave spec rotors, hawk pads and the OEM 2 pot calipers. Otherwise the other option is doing the STI brembo swap.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru WRX
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the same car except in wagon form.
Mods I've done that may help you out. Engine and trans is mostly stock. Car pulls strong and can be better. Still needs a tune and injectors.

STI IC, AfterMAF hose, Turbo inlet hose, K&N drop in filter, Exedy oem style clutch, TIC shifter linkage, WL trans bushings, Walbro 255 fuel pump, WL rear diff bushings

Suspension: KYB housing cut to fit Koni cartridges/ Swift sport springs, 22mm Cusco sways, STI GC FLCA, WL bushings for all, Rear Cusco STB, Group-N tophats, WL lateral arms, WL endlinks & roll center, WL ALK, rear camber bolts, WL rack and pinion bushings, basically all bushings are replaced with WL
04 STI 17x7.5 wheels with Michelin Super Sports 225/45/17
04 STI Brembos calipers F & R, J-hook front rotors with rear slotted rotors
Autometer EGT & boost gauges installed by previous owner

STI JDM hood scoop and front grill, some knock off front lip

04 STI seats, '12 shift knob, 07 STI center console

I am looking at Ohlins FPS but some money and work to fit 5x114.3 knuckles from LIC

a pic before I painted the sideskirts and repainted the bumpers
View attachment 326290
Looks sick man! Mind me asking how much it was to upgrade to the brembos? Was considering this myself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts