ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - What should I be paying (through a dealer) for the replacement of my fan blower motor (interior A/C, fan, heater)?????? Any help would be really appreciated as I feel something awful coming...::whoa::whoa::whoa:

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
looks to be around $200.... have to check shipping, it may be cheaper to get at dealer than from online dealer.

source:

Subaru Parts | Genuine OEM Parts - WRX Performance Accessories

Note the above price is part ONLY.... figure a few hours labor charge on top of that, plus possible part markup (depending on dealer)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Demon - If the dealer replaces it (performs the labor) about what should I be paying? 'preciate the help - MV

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
That depends on the dealer, and their labor rates. I would not expect it to be more than a 2 hour job, though I could be wrong. I have seen labor rates between $20/hr and $80/hr.... but then again, changing my plugs (which I supplied) cost me like $190 for the labor.

If the part is $200, I would not expect to pay more than $500 at the most, I would be happy with under $400 though. That is if you are not willing to attempt doing it yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
average dealer pricing for replacement

Demon: You're 100% right on the money in terms of labor & pricing. I contacted 7 dealers state-wide and got pricing ranging from 385.00 to 510.00, with several in the 440.00 area. I was quoted 598.00 + tax by my dealer :whoa::whoa:, which he came down to 445.00 when I told him he was 'high' ;). With no offense to the dealers, there are only two people with a time card at a car dealer, the secretary and the custodian, neither of them work on cars & everyone else is on comission. Thanks for your help - :) MV

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
amazing the racket mechanics can get away with. On Monday I went to get my CBE installed (didn't feel like crawling under the car again, and it was mid 40's and raining) and went to a local service center (not a dealer). They price-quoted me $250 for install.... and I brought all the parts!

I ended up paying $150 for the install, which I know is still high, but a) done right away and b) the mechanic ended up having to go get a few bolts from the parts store as the bolts I had were a hair too short.

·
Registered
135 Posts
At dealers the labor is priced out by a book that say how many hours it "should" take, they charge you that even if it takes less time that the book said, but will also charge you more if it takes longer... go figure huh? This is how it worked when I was employed by a honda dealer at least.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
right, but the book has how many hours the job is likely to take, not a MSRP of sorts... So they take that hour figure, and multiply that by their labor rate ($/hr) and give a quote on labor. Many of them also have a 50-100% parts markup. Both of these factors are why dealers charge different prices for the same work. Like the OP.... low dealer said 385.00, high said 598.00....that is over $200.00 price swing in one state (and I assume reasonable driving distance).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts