ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if someone can help me calculate some numbers. I have 2002 WRX with 108k miles on it. There is some body work needed to be done (front bumber/trunk) It is turbo backed with intake, clean interior. This car is really fun to drive and has a lot of life in it still. I am considering trading in/selling for a new (maybe used) STI. Can anyone help me figure out the value of my car and what monthly payments would be like for an STI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Adrian

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
KBB
NADA
Edmunds

All three sites will give you a value for your trade-in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I think I have decided I want to keep my car, but swap out the transmission. Does anyone know anything about a 6 speed swap into a 2002 wrx, can it work? Any details would be greatly appreciated. Also I was looking at 5 speed manual transmissions from LKQ (see link below). Are these people reliable?

LKQ Corporation - Parts Search

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
So I think I have decided I want to keep my car, but swap out the transmission. Does anyone know anything about a 6 speed swap into a 2002 wrx, can it work? Any details would be greatly appreciated. Also I was looking at 5 speed manual transmissions from LKQ (see link below). Are these people reliable?

LKQ Corporation - Parts Search
Yes, but why? What mods do you currently have on your car and is your transmission broken?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, but why? What mods do you currently have on your car and is your transmission broken?
Turboback exhaust, intake, performance clutch, small suspension mods. the stock transmission just isn't cutting it for me, I think a 6 speed will help me save a little bit more on gas and will be more fun to drive. I have rebuilt the stock transmission twice (no I don't launch the crap out of my car, and I don't ride my clutch. I consider myself a very good driver) I really like my bugeye but I need it to perform better.

·
Æternum
20,598 Posts
Turboback exhaust, intake, performance clutch, small suspension mods. the stock transmission just isn't cutting it for me, I think a 6 speed will help me save a little bit more on gas and will be more fun to drive. I have rebuilt the stock transmission twice (no I don't launch the crap out of my car, and I don't ride my clutch. I consider myself a very good driver) I really like my bugeye but I need it to perform better.
The 6spd won't change much. The final drive isn't any taller. 3000rpm in 6th gear will be almost exactly 3000 rpm in 5th gear on the 5mt. What gears have you rebuilt the transmission with?

Just so you know, a 6MT swap would cost you approx. $4-5K. Assess this for yourself: is that money worth spending if nothing is broken?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 6spd won't change much. The final drive isn't any taller. 3000rpm in 6th gear will be almost exactly 3000 rpm in 5th gear on the 5mt. What gears have you rebuilt the transmission with?

Just so you know, a 6MT swap would cost you approx. $4-5K. Assess this for yourself: is that money worth spending if nothing is broken?
Thanks zax!, I think i will go with the 5spd mt. I believe it was only the first gear being repaired. Right now all my gears shift pretty smoothly, but when i leave it in neutral and coast it makes a horrible rubbing/grinding noise (sounds like loose bearing). The only way to prevent this noise is to keep a steady toe on the gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts