Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,521 Posts
I already bought the headers :/ nothing much I can about that…
Regarding the cobb tuning I thought that tuners cannot tune catless and TGV delete Cars. I thought cobb forced the tuners hands becuse they cannot tune out those problems?
Yep.

However your car needs a custom tune.

So either you use the Cobb solution and are forced to green speed or you find an alternate solution. They can't use an old AP to do the custom tune you'll need.

Anyway. You need to speak to a tuner before you do anything. Make sure that they will work with JDM swaps. Not all will. Then use the solution they recommend.

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,521 Posts
Thanks for the super response! I will see about contacting tuners Monday!

also “forced to green speed you mean catted parts?
So the green speed initiative came about because they have been illegally selling emissions modifying equipment. If you think back 5 or so years you'll remember a certain demographic of vehicle enthusiasts decided that rolling coal was awesome and to hell with the epa. The EPA responded by crushing much of that market and many small shops with fines. It eventually made its way to the non diesel market.

Cobb is doing nothing but complying with federal regulations. Either they face fines for every instance one of their parts were installed followed by a daily fine equivalent to the initial fine or they fix it before hell rains down.

So, what the AP and cobbs tuning solutions can do. They can remap fueling and air metering to meet afr targets. This means that you CAN tune for a downpipe, but you can't clear the code.

Not clearing the code is where the issue comes to play for most other emissions deletes. They tend to cause limp mode, something Cobb can't tune out. Things like EGR and TGV deletes both cause this. For that you'll need other solutions. The opensource community was strong for the older cars so there may still be some support there for whatever you imagine. Otherwise you are getting into something like stand alone ECU stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts