Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just bought my first Subaru. I originally looking at a really nice 2003 wrx but my buddy ended up buying long story short I bought this 2002 Subaru wrx.
Cloud Tire Sky Car Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Car

they are both really beautiful cars and both 5 speed manuals. My buddy has the one that is the STI clone with bronze rims. I was originally gonna buy it but plans fell through and he bought it. I’m super super happy for him. His wrx is a 2003 with 180k and is engine swaped from a jdm ej207 longblock. My wrx is the one with the silver rims. It’s a 2002 with the original motor at 242k miles. I bought it no more than two months ago and I drove the car daily. Recently it developed a misfire and began smoking very heavily from the turbo area. When sitting still and the car is warm the smoke comes out of the fender, hood scoop, grille and wheel well. I tried to swap the spark plugs. Coils and even put 93 octane fuel. Idk what it is. I’m not gonna throw a bunch of money at it. I’d consider myself a very experienced mechanic. I’ve swaped axles and taken motors appart but never swaped one. It’s the last thing I want to do before I consider myself expert level. I bought the car fully expecting to swap the motor. Me and my buddy who has the other wrx wanted to tackle this and learn everything we can about the cars as we both plan to have them for a long time. They are both really rust free and mostly in great shape.

I’m planning to engine swap my wrx. I bought a jdm ej205. It’s gonna be here in like 1-3 days. I bought it a while ago. Here’s the other list of stuff I’ve bought. Tomei unequal headers with catless up pipe, I have DEI titanium exuast wrap, vf48 turbo, larger tmic, pink sti 565cc injectors, ngk step 1 colder spark plugs, new coil pack, k&n oil filter, two gallons of Subaru blue coolant, 5qt valvoline 5w-30 advanced full synthetic, Subaru coolant crosover gasket, intake manifold gasket from Subaru, all exuast gaskets from grimspeed, catless downpipe with cast housing on turbo side, lightweight ACT flywheel, ACT performance street, timing kit with all tensioners and waterpump and new timing belt, blow off valve, drilled and slotted brakes, sti wing, coilovers, and jdm hood scoop.

I also have the jdm long runner intake manifold that’s coming on the motor. Ok considering using the long runner Intake manifold as a TGV delete.

I already know on the jdm motor need to use the USDM, oilcooler, intake cam, intake sensor, turbo hoses and couple other things. I do feel like I know a fair bit of this and can do this. I’ll have acess to a full shop and a car lift with a cherry picker and Engine stand.

I know that the car is gonna need a tune after all this. I was talking to another guy with a silver bugeye hatchback. He has a cobb tuner that’s pre green speed. I’ve tried to look for one and I could only find one but the guy didn’t want to sell it appart from the vehicle he was selling.(sub-001 v 1.7.3). I’d pay the good money It costs if I could just find one.

I’d like to know what the community thinks about the cars ;), what do you think of the parts I’ve bought? Looking to achieve 300 wheel hp. And looking for a cob tunner. Or if anyone knows any other ways to tune my car. I live in Kansas City Missouri and talked to MKC performance and they quoted me 4.2k for a full standalone ecu and I do not have 4k :/

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Sky Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle Sky

Tire Wheel Sky Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's gonna be green speed because you'll need a custom tune.

Also buy equal length headers. Don't waste money.
I already bought the headers :/ nothing much I can about that…
Regarding the cobb tuning I thought that tuners cannot tune catless and TGV delete Cars. I thought cobb forced the tuners hands becuse they cannot tune out those problems?

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,521 Posts
I already bought the headers :/ nothing much I can about that…
Regarding the cobb tuning I thought that tuners cannot tune catless and TGV delete Cars. I thought cobb forced the tuners hands becuse they cannot tune out those problems?
Yep.

However your car needs a custom tune.

So either you use the Cobb solution and are forced to green speed or you find an alternate solution. They can't use an old AP to do the custom tune you'll need.

Anyway. You need to speak to a tuner before you do anything. Make sure that they will work with JDM swaps. Not all will. Then use the solution they recommend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep.

However your car needs a custom tune.

So either you use the Cobb solution and are forced to green speed or you find an alternate solution. They can't use an old AP to do the custom tune you'll need.

Anyway. You need to speak to a tuner before you do anything. Make sure that they will work with JDM swaps. Not all will. Then use the solution they recommend.
Thanks for the super response! I will see about contacting tuners Monday!

also “forced to green speed you mean catted parts?

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,521 Posts
Thanks for the super response! I will see about contacting tuners Monday!

also “forced to green speed you mean catted parts?
So the green speed initiative came about because they have been illegally selling emissions modifying equipment. If you think back 5 or so years you'll remember a certain demographic of vehicle enthusiasts decided that rolling coal was awesome and to hell with the epa. The EPA responded by crushing much of that market and many small shops with fines. It eventually made its way to the non diesel market.

Cobb is doing nothing but complying with federal regulations. Either they face fines for every instance one of their parts were installed followed by a daily fine equivalent to the initial fine or they fix it before hell rains down.

So, what the AP and cobbs tuning solutions can do. They can remap fueling and air metering to meet afr targets. This means that you CAN tune for a downpipe, but you can't clear the code.

Not clearing the code is where the issue comes to play for most other emissions deletes. They tend to cause limp mode, something Cobb can't tune out. Things like EGR and TGV deletes both cause this. For that you'll need other solutions. The opensource community was strong for the older cars so there may still be some support there for whatever you imagine. Otherwise you are getting into something like stand alone ECU stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the green speed initiative came about because they have been illegally selling emissions modifying equipment. If you think back 5 or so years you'll remember a certain demographic of vehicle enthusiasts decided that rolling coal was awesome and to hell with the epa. The EPA responded by crushing much of that market and many small shops with fines. It eventually made its way to the non diesel market.

Cobb is doing nothing but complying with federal regulations. Either they face fines for every instance one of their parts were installed followed by a daily fine equivalent to the initial fine or they fix it before hell rains down.

So, what the AP and cobbs tuning solutions can do. They can remap fueling and air metering to meet afr targets. This means that you CAN tune for a downpipe, but you can't clear the code.

Not clearing the code is where the issue comes to play for most other emissions deletes. They tend to cause limp mode, something Cobb can't tune out. Things like EGR and TGV deletes both cause this. For that you'll need other solutions. The opensource community was strong for the older cars so there may still be some support there for whatever you imagine. Otherwise you are getting into something like stand alone ECU stuff.
Wow that’s a great write up thank you! I’ll look into that. I’ve heard some stuff about a tatrix cable. Do you know if that’s a viable solution to tune around the epa?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts