Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My past 2 cars have been a 91 camry and accord, and am looking into purchasing a 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 ts stick, it has 168,000 miles and is being sold for $2500. The car history shows that it's only had 2 owners and it's timing belt was replaced at 100,000 miles, but no other major maintenance was done. I'm aware of the head gasket problems with these engines and am not too sure how common this problems occurs with these cars at this mileage. I'm assuming the clutch is gonna need to be replaced at some point too, any advice or things I should look out for when I check out the car? Or is it not worth the hassle?

·
Super Moderator
11,760 Posts
I won't say it's not worth the hassle but you've got a lot working against you here. It's 17 years old with higher mileage. With that there is not only wear on the engine, suspension and transmission, there is also wear on the chassis, drivetrain and electronics.

You just have to know you are ready to deal with 17 year old vehicle issues. Many things can come up quick and the cost to repair can quickly out price any value to the vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, I'm probably going to pass on it, there's only been 2 owners but after seeing that the only major maintenance was done at 100,000 miles (timing belt), I'm probably going to be throwing down another 2,000 on maintenance. I'm trying to stay in a 3,000 dollar window including the maintenance, within the first 2 years of owning a car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts