Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this dilemma: I want to eventually move up to Subaru's OEM 4-pot calipers on my front brakes, but needed 7" wide wheels; didn't want to go to 17" diameter wheels because of the many local potholes the size of canyons; and wanted to spend less money on new wheels on more on good tires.

So I found a solution! I bought 2001 RS wheels off of someone, put on Dunlop 5000s from TireRack, and sold my WRX stock wheels to another (just threw out those crappy RE72s). The 2001 RS wheels are 16" x 7" and the OEM 4-pot calipers will fit inside them.

Plus, they look great! I actually prefer the look of my WRX with the 2001 wheels. It gives the WRX a more purposeful, no-nonsense, rally-ready look.

Here are some pics. Whaddya think?

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
I actually have the 99 RS wheels on my Blue WRX. They look better thant the 00, 01's! :p

I don't understand why the 4 pots would fit with wider wheels though. Shouldn't make a difference how wide the wheel is unless the old wheels inner diameter is bigger than the 02's.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Akiata,

The 2002 WRX wheel size is 16" x 6.5", whearas the wheels from the 2001 RS are 16" x 7". That is the RS wheels are 1/2 inch wider. The OEM 4-pot calipers are wider than the 2 pots we have on now, and you need wheels at least 7 inches wide to fit the 4 pots in.

If you put the 4-pot calipers on inside the stock 6 1/2 inch wide wheels, the calipers will rub into the wheels! Someone tried this on i-club and posted pictures. Very nasty.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you mentioned that to me before, God, on i-club. I considered it, but then simply found someone to buy my WRX wheels off me, and I really liked the look of the RS wheels. Plus, I was thinking of going for wider tires, like 215/45/16, though I did end up getting the stock size at 205/55/16.

Moreover, some folks believe that spacers, even though only about 5 mm are needed here, would decrease stability. I don't know whether to believe it or not, but when the two deals for the RS rims and mine came around, there was no need to debate anymore.

·
1,911 Posts
If you have less than 5 mm spacer it does not affect stability except maybe to enhance it slightly (since you are widenning the track). I sincerely doubt you'd be able to feel any difference though. Just figured I'd mention it to folks since most people would simply want a set of spacers for $20 instead of having to change wheels/tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts