ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have a 2004 WRX, with about 115,000km or 70,000 miles. There are 2 distinct sounds coming from the car, 1 is when the car is cold, like really cold. Its around the freezing temp here and when I start the car in the morning there's a slight knocking sound coming from under the hood. Could this be a loose heat sheild? Or Exhaust?
2nd. Inside the car while driving there is a high pitched whine coming from the gear shifter area.

Is this common on the 2nd and any suggestions to this newbie.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
For the first issue, search "piston slap." If the temperatures are below freezing, look in your manual for the lowest recommended oil viscosity and use that oil at least until the weather turns. It'll help with cold starts but the slap isn't going anywhere.

The second issue could be a number of things, including normal. Do any gears grind? Is the gear oil at the correct level?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the first issue, search "piston slap." If the temperatures are below freezing, look in your manual for the lowest recommended oil viscosity and use that oil at least until the weather turns. It'll help with cold starts but the slap isn't going anywhere.

The second issue could be a number of things, including normal. Do any gears grind? Is the gear oil at the correct level?
Gears dont grind at all, but checking the gear oil. Way stupid question is there a dip stick for that or am I the dipstick

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
Gears dont grind at all, but checking the gear oil. Way stupid question is there a dip stick for that or am I the dipstick
No question is stupid. however many questions are answered in the owner's manual. The dipstick for the gear oil is "under" the intercooler on the car's right side. You'll have to reach between the turbo and the IC to get to it. You'll need a flashlight to find the hole it goes in if it's dark out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts