ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 04 2.5 RS and i am thinking of doing this turbo set up. i dont know if there is anything missing. or if anyone knows of any potential problems.could really use your help.

APS front mount intercooler $1,494.00
TurboXS UTEC Engine Managment System $850.00
APS DR Series 3.5" Turbo to Tip Race Exhaust $1,290.00
APS blow off valves $270.00
APS SR55 turbochargers $1,895.00
APS up pipe $389.00
APS cool air intake $250.00
OEM STI wiring harness $?$?$?$ :confused1
Borla Header $452.00
Eagle Rods $396.00
CUSCO Motor and Tranny Mounts $299.00
PWR Radiator $425.00
^ Total $8010.00 :eek: :whoa:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm sure you must have heard this, but why not just get a wrx or sti?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my insurance would cost more than the car payments! 16yrs old. :unhappy: :unhappy: :unhappy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone? :sadwave: i could use some help on this! still trying to work out this kit.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
why not just take that 8k and put it towards insurance with a used 02-03 wrx

you can do a lot more than that with 8k, there was a bullet proof magnus engine on here for 5k :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doing it this way i can buy my parts across time. and a OEM or a JDM engine wont produce the numbers this set up will turn out. as for reliability. that is my 2nd priorty (after power) but if i have to sacrifice power for reliability i might. this set up should be very reliable. as for using $ toward insurance. well, then i dont have the power this package has. so eh, ill have to say no. but thanks foe the ideas. anyone have any ideas as to the set up?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
speedin said:
i have a 04 2.5 RS and i am thinking of doing this turbo set up. i dont know if there is anything missing. or if anyone knows of any potential problems.could really use your help.

APS front mount intercooler $1,494.00
TurboXS UTEC Engine Managment System $850.00
APS DR Series 3.5" Turbo to Tip Race Exhaust $1,290.00
APS blow off valves $270.00
APS SR55 turbochargers $1,895.00
APS up pipe $389.00
APS cool air intake $250.00
OEM STI wiring harness $?$?$?$ :confused1
Borla Header $452.00
Eagle Rods $396.00
CUSCO Motor and Tranny Mounts $299.00
PWR Radiator $425.00
^ Total $8010.00 :eek: :whoa:
There are several problems with this mod list.

1) you are naming mods that will only fit on a WRX or STi engine. There is no humanly possibe way to bolt these mods onto an RS because the geometry is just wrong.

2) an RS has a very high compression ratio compared to a WRX or STi, and you won't be able to effectively use that turbo since the most boost you'll be able to run will be about 10psi on an aggressive tune using high octane fuel. The efficiency range of the GT30 cartridge in the SR55 is between 15 and 30psi of boost, you will never reach a point where that turbo will be making that power without catastrophic failure.

3) you list "aps blow off valves" I'll save you the hassle.....you'll probably only need one :p

4) The STi wiring harness won't really do a whole lot without an STi ecu, and at that point an STi ecu won't be compatible with the 2.5 longblock because of myriad differences in the design.
-the RS is sohc, the STi is DOHC....right there you're toast.
-the cams in the RS are WORLDS AND WORLDS different than STi....also, see above
-the sensors are completely different on the RS to the point where you won't have any reasonable outputs for the ECU pins on the STi ecu
-There is no AVCS on an RS, and without some sort of trickery your ecu will feel lost and confused (sort of like zoophagy at a Christian Pride rally)

5) Why did you decide to just throw eagle rods into the mix? IF you're going to build your engine, that means you're going to pull the whole thing out...at which point for the price of labor/install/machine work to make the rods viable and reliable and the price of the rods themselves you could get an STi longblock and just drop that in. Additionally, upgraded rods are mostly worthless without an appropriate piston upgrade and proper balancing/machining of the block and crankshaft to make them operate smoothly. Blueprinting is essential in a build like that, else you'll end up with varying compression in each cylinder

6) You didn't mention any fuel system upgrades. At the least you'll need a Walbro fuel pump and 800cc injectors. this is a must, as the RS fuel system won't even drive with an SR55, even if you could hook it up.

7) you list a radiator upgrade, but unless your current system has a problem, there is no reason to replace it. An upgraded radiator is the least of your concerns given the fact that you're looking at over $12,000 in engine fabrication.

I'm not trying to bash you, or your efforts...please don't misinterpret this post. What I'm trying to show you is that you cannot put these parts on an RS engine. It will not work. If you want to turbocharge your RS you should look into kits that are built specifically for the RS, instead of parts that are for the WRX/STi. Everything you listed is a WRX or STi part...

Also, if you did everything right, including labor this setup would cost you $18,000. For that price, you could buy a JDM v8 STI RA Spec C engine, a JDM 6mt with full axles, brembos, and rear differential. You could get the JDM ECU with AVCS, you could put a JDM guage cluster and JDM seats in your car, get an upgraded turbo and injectors, a front mount intercooler, a custom tune with your choice of engine management, a new clutch, and have money to spare.

I don't appreciate how you summarily dismissed the people who said an engine swap would be cheaper/better. Also, your feelings that you'll compromise reliability for power are hardly rational....if you're trying to save money on insurnace by driving an RS, but then are willing to pay thousands of dollars in mods for an unreliable car that will cost thousands to fix, you need to rethink your financial planning.

Please, if you want to make your car powerful, do an engine swap. If I were in your shoes, I would buy a discount version 7 JDM STi engine (shortblock, pistons, crank, rods, heads, and full valvetrain, turbo, exhaust manifold and exhaust system, intercooler, injectors, it comes complete) and put it into the car, as well as upgrade my handling and braking.

For that money (appx 4k) you will have a car that is faster than a stock US STi, and it will work properly.

Good luck, here are some sites for finding JDM engines and parts:

www.kingpinperformance.com

www.iaperformance.com

www.gruppe-s.com

~Tim

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
speedin said:
:confused1 interesting face :bs:
It's not my face. It's someone else's face that I'm wearing. You might want to look into another form of engine management if you are serious about doing this. The UTEC won't work with a 2.5RS ECU. You'll probably want to lower your compression as well to around 8.5:1 or so. The stock RS compression will severely limit the amount of boost you can run on pump gas. High compression engines and boost usually don't go very well together. Assuming you're manual, you'll need a new clutch to hold the power. The 2.5L engine when turbocharged--especially if you don't lower the compression ratio--will more than likely destroy your transmission pretty quickly, so I'd look into getting an upgraded tranny as well. You've also got to factor a good tune into the price of everything. High compression engine that utilize forced induction are very prone to detonation, which will kill your engine pretty quickly. You'll be especially prone to detonation, as you don't have any fuel system upgrades listed in your proposed modification list. Your injectors will be seeing 300% IDC. That's not healthy.

Seriously, you'll be better off going with a JDM engine swap. It will be cheaper, more reliable, and you'll make better power. I know that a lot of turbos claim that they are "400hp kits" or "500hp kits," but this isn't usually the case. A stock JDM v.7 or v.8 will put you in the high 200whp range much, much more reliably. Plenty of people have gotten 400awhp or more out of modified JDM engines, so not having enough power shouldn't be a concern.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hum,well it looks like a swap is my best bet. but the only problem is ill have to wait now to build the cash up. o and the blow off valves (typo). on the sites you posted (for swap) i saw they sell the complete engine and turbo, etc. but i didnt see engine mounts? also wont i need to get a new tranny. the current shouldnt be able to handle it. but anyways i know your not bashing me. this is why i did this to see my (enevidable) mistakes before i spent the cash. tnx for the suggestions. looks like a swap for me.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
speedin said:
hum,well it looks like a swap is my best bet. but the only problem is ill have to wait now to build the cash up. o and the blow off valves (typo). on the sites you posted (for swap) i saw they sell the complete engine and turbo, etc. but i didnt see engine mounts? also wont i need to get a new tranny. the current shouldnt be able to handle it. but anyways i know your not bashing me. this is why i did this to see my (enevidable) mistakes before i spent the cash. tnx for the suggestions. looks like a swap for me.
You don't HAVE to get a new tranny, but it will make the setup far more reliable and fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
speedin said:
You don't necessarily need engine mounts. The WRX engine mounts work with an STi engine. However, your best best would be to just buy STi engine mounts, which you can buy at www.gruppe-s.com or www.subaruwrxpart.com and I'm sure other places as well. They're not very expensive. As for a tranny, people have used the stock WRX tranny with swapped engines. It will last a long time as long as you're careful about shifting. However, the ratios aren't very good, especially if you go with a JDM emgine. I'd look into getting RA gears (about $1400), at the very minimum. They're strong and have much better ratios than the stock gears. I have some sitting on my floor and waiting to go into my car as we speak.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i have an RS so i do need engine mounts. the jdm sti tranny isnt too, bad. int it better than the oem? as for ratio replace ment. ill just worry about the 4k for a jdm engine and the 2k for a tranny before that. also i seen V7 engines mostly. but dont i need a V8? because i have the newer model. isnt there a power difference between a V7 and a V8? also for some reason www.subaruwrxpart.com is a dead link

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
speedin said:
well i have an RS so i do need engine mounts. the jdm sti tranny isnt too, bad. int it better than the oem? as for ratio replace ment. ill just worry about the 4k for a jdm engine and the 2k for a tranny before that. also i seen V7 engines mostly. but dont i need a V8? because i have the newer model. isnt there a power difference between a V7 and a V8? also for some reason www.subaruwrxpart.com is a dead link
Sorry, I mistyped it. It's www.subaruwrxparts.com. That should work.

RS mounts should work with an STi engine, but while you have it out, you should get STi Group N mounts. Like I said, they're not very expensive, and they are a nice upgrade.

The JDM STi tranny has much better ratios than the USDM. You can get a used JDM six speed for about $4000, I believe. If not, the RA gears that I mentioned are the gears from the STi v.6 tranny.

Either a v.7 or a v.8 engine would work with your car. It doesn't matter if you put an older engine in it. Subarus are like Legos. You can put just about any EJ series engine in just about any EJ series car. So you can put either a v.7 or v. EJ207 (that's the JDM STi engine) in your RS. The v. 7 have forged internals, which are very nice to have because they're very resistant to detonation. The v. 8s have hyereutectic internals, which are lighter and also very strong, but they are more sensitive to detonation. The v.8s also have better flowing heads than the v.7s, so they will usually put down better power. However, if you can find a v.7 RA spec C, they have as good of heads as the v.8, plus they have forged internals and longer duration cams. In my opinion, this would be the best engine you can get right now. If you get a v.8, you must get a good tune with it, or you could blow your engine.

The v.7s come with IHI VF30 turbos (VF34 on the spec C), and the v.8s come with IHI VF37, which are twinscroll. Twinscroll turbos are generally better than traditional turbos, but you must keep in mind that you will loose the "boxer rumble" that Subarus are known for. If that matters to you at all. Also, with a twinscroll you won't be able to use the regualr WRX downpipes, you'll have to have a custom-built downpipe if you decided you wanted to go aftermarket in the future.

If you are serious about this, I would start browing the "Subaru Conversions" forum on www.nasioc.com. There is a lot of information there, but sometimes the people aren't so nice. But there is definitely a lot of reading there. You should probably also look into the tranny forum and start learning about the options you have there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts