ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a guy has turbo back gutted 2.5" exhaust no resistor and all 4 cats missing does he really need to go to a 3" unless he wants a bigger turbo? Even then how big of a turbo could the stock internals of my wrx hold safely without a need for 3" exhaust I am a budget racer with two kids and a wife so let me know if I could go bigger or if I need to stay right where I am.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
you're probably ok with the 2.5 unless you get a VF 30/34/22.

if you got 2 kids and you're on a budget, make sure you set some cash aside for paying fines if you get caught.

P.S. if you removed *4* cats you're either not driving a WRX, or you removed something that wasn't a cat and its probably a good idea to put it back on...WRX's only have 3 cats.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right

I keep counting that stupid resonator or resistor as a cat could I go with a T3/T4 on internals? (ohyeah and there are no emissions in wyoming and I do not street race because of my wife and two kids. We have a private strip up here we race in I am trying to get readt for bandi though.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
gutting all the cats is alot of work but will free up alot of breathing.

only diff between going bigger and aftermarket is youll haev a better flowing exhaust. the empty cats will leave alot of useless space for the air to get turbulent...

only downfall i can think of..

a guy on a budget could snag the ERZ setup for 200$(?)and get a straightpipe back and a muffler for probably under 100$ more full TBE for 300$ is rediculous!

http://www.mattrandolph.com/mattspec.htm

also since you have no emissions you can do whatever you want!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I did

What I did was took off my exhaust and cut off the cat completely and replaced it with a tube of 2 3/8 inch exhaust pipe and welded it together and put the bung back for the 02 sensors except for the one that went to the turbo something about the turbo shutting down due to a melted at sensor whatever that means it is just what I was told to do. I have and after market 3 inch cat back made by Megan Racing but I bought it before my second kid was born (hospital bills suck) I have thought about upgrading my up/down pipe and then having an exhaust shop bend the 3 inch mid pipe between the down pipe and cat (or non cat) back exhaust. But I still need to know how big of a turbo will the 2g20 motor hold on stock internal parts safely

·
Registered
783 Posts
From what I gather you should be fine with the 2.5'', but you will be leaving some power on the table if you go big turbo, just like others have said. If it was me and I planned on going for a bigger turbo, I'd do it right the first time and just go 3", but if you're on a budget 2.5'' might save you a few dollars.

Oh and its the EJ20 ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts