Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard about this and seen som estuff ont the web but it was with older models. Also is there a possibility of dropping the RS 2.5 in the WRX? just some thoughts.

·
1,911 Posts
2.5 can't really handle much boost at all even if you rebuild it. Possible but I wouldn't do it on a street car. Jun and Toda both have 2.13 liter kits. Both are excellent and will improve torque a great deal but neither is cheap so be prepared to pay. It should be the last thing you do. You can get 400 HP with stock block very easily.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is involved in using one of theese kits. where can you get them, how much??? I am very curious. sorry about all the questions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This question has a simple answer. I think what every one is failing to see is that the people who are looking into this mod are the people in the states that are trying to run the fastest times here. There is no reason why swapping a 2.2 block doesnt make the WRX a street car. Last I checked Toni Riggoli has a 2.2 block and he is still able to drive that car on the street. The reason one would do this is just as simple. If you want to run a truely large turbo, (G-pumper for example and larger) you need more displacement to turn the turbine wheel of something that size.

-Romanikque

·
1,911 Posts
That's true but no one here has even gotten close to running a turbo of that size. Unless you're going for 600 HP, why bother? It's not cost effective. I'm not saying it's unstreetable but I think most people would be far happier and wealthier doing a big turbo and engine management before starting to tear apart a perfectly good block. Can it be done and driven on the street? Sure no problem but you'll be paying over $3000 plus at least $1000 in shop and machine labor to do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think we are saying the same thing two different ways here. I think the only point I was trying to make is that if one wanted to run a turbo capable of producing 600hp (I think thats a wholesome number :D ) they would not physically be able to run it on the 2.0 block because there would not be enough displacement to power it. The 2.2 block one could go very large and be just fine. The only people that should be considering this mod are those that want huge hp numbers and are looking for like 10's in the 1/4. And dont be dilluted there are more people looking for that kind of power than you would think. ;)

-Romanikque

·
Registered
151 Posts
God said:
That's true but no one here has even gotten close to running a turbo of that size. Unless you're going for 600 HP, why bother? It's not cost effective. I'm not saying it's unstreetable but I think most people would be far happier and wealthier doing a big turbo and engine management before starting to tear apart a perfectly good block. Can it be done and driven on the street? Sure no problem but you'll be paying over $3000 plus at least $1000 in shop and machine labor to do it.

The 2.2 is a great swap... the 2.5 is also a great swap. The stuff about the built (talking closed deck here) 2.5 block not being able to take the extra boost is just pure BS!

I know of a few 650hp 2.5L blocks running around...

One of those two blocks will be in my WRX after i get the transmission issues sorted. No since in being able to push 600hp if your transmission takes a puke every time you stomp on the gas.

My goals also include the car being a full street car with AC, PS, a nice sound system and all the interior...

-Nathan

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I agree with Dan, I'd upgrade my turbo, uppipe, intercooler, exhaust, and fuel delivery, then get a Unichip and have it tuned. 300+ HP is plenty for a daily driver. Plus, I really won't have to worry about my tranny as long as I'm careful.

I really can't justify pulling the motor or putting a different motor in for my application.

-Jim

·
Registered
151 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
I agree with Dan, I'd upgrade my turbo, uppipe, intercooler, exhaust, and fuel delivery, then get a Unichip and have it tuned. 300+ HP is plenty for a daily driver. Plus, I really won't have to worry about my tranny as long as I'm careful.

I really can't justify pulling the motor or putting a different motor in for my application.

-Jim
To each his own.

Truth is when you get to 300, if your anything like me, you will be looking for 400.

Even 400 gets boring after a bit...

If you want to build a street car that can hit 130mph in the 1/4 then your going to be needing a different block...

-Nathan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts