Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2000 WRX which had the engine already replaced with a 2.0 STI before i bought it.

Now the gearbox (original WRX) has broken and i need a new one. Factory is not an option as it'll cost me 8.000$ and i'm going to sell the car the second it's fixed. In other words i'm looking through online scrapyards.

1. My local dealer tells me i'll have to swap out my entire drivetrain if i go with an STI gearbox. Is this true?

2. As is implied, the easiest thing would be to just go with an original 2.0 WRX gearbox, but i can't get a hold of one in scandinavia at the moment, so will a 2.1L STI gearbox from the same year model work?

Here's a link to the gearbox in question: https://www.bildelsbasen.se/?index=default&link=item&searchmode=1&vc1=196&pc1=125&vc[0]=196107100&vcx=4330&pc[0]=125103106&filter=wrx&post_id=31327122

Im open to other possible solutions if you guys have any.

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
You don't have to swap out the entire drivetrain to do a STi six speed swap, but that's still the most expensive transmission you could pick to put in there.. which doesn't make a whole ton of sense if you're just planning to sell the car.

I'm not aware of any OEM 2.1L Subaru engine, and the link you posted doesn't work.

· In Æternum
23,700 Posts
What the hell is a 2.1L gearbox?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· In Æternum
23,700 Posts
5spd STi tranny is a waste of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
5spd STi tranny is a waste of time.

But he's looking for the cheapest option so he can sell the car..

Did a little research, and the only MY2000 DCCD five speeds I'm seeing are JDM STI transmissions with a 4.444 final drive.. and the MY2000 Euro turbo Impreza's all have a 4.111 final drive. So this transmission won't work without replacing other parts along with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.