Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going to change oil at 1k miles with castol gtx. then again at 3k miles then again at 5k miles but with mobil 1 synthetic. Im wondering can i just change it at 1k miles to mobile 1 synthetic or that is not good?

Also tranny i would go with synthetic Redline Oil 90 weight.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

tony

·
Registered
77 Posts
I changed mine at 1200 miles with Mobil 1 Tri Syn, no problem at all...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I changed my oil at 800 miles and will do another change at 2500 miles. Since I'm doing the changes relatively close together I opted not to use synthetic. At 5k I'll swap in synthetic. No science...it's what feels 'right' to me. :) Once the synthetic goes in I'll move my oil change schedule out to 4k miles between changes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Parts need to bed in, rings, cam lobes, all need some friction to accomplish this. Using synthetic at this early stage is ill-advised and could lead to more oil consumption later on.

·
Registered
691 Posts
^^^what he said
wait until 10000 miles, thats pretty much standard practice on these boards.

·
Registered
161 Posts
spacemanspiff said:
Parts need to bed in, rings, cam lobes, all need some friction to accomplish this. Using synthetic at this early stage is ill-advised and could lead to more oil consumption later on.
You do realize that most high-end vehicles come with synthetic from the factory, such as my 01 Corvette. I also remember reading somewhere that the STI has had some break in time at the factory. Anyone have input?

·
Registered
480 Posts
1. I let Subaru give me the free first oil change, then went Mobil 1 ever since. My car is happy at 39,000+ miles.
2. Fram is to oil filter as Yugo is to automobile.

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
N2O NOMA said:
thanks guys ill be chaning mine to synthetic. now for oil filter is fram fine?
Stick with the stock STi filter. It's made for our engine. Plus don't forget the crush ring. I order mine through SOA so I have a 6 pack waiting for changes. BTW, don't let a dealer tell you the WRX and STi oil filters are the same. They aren't.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I thought the oil that the car came with from the factory has some kind of "break in" formula in it and your not suppose to change the oil right away, like at 1k miles???

·
Registered
559 Posts
silversti said:
You do realize that most high-end vehicles come with synthetic from the factory, such as my 01 Corvette. I also remember reading somewhere that the STI has had some break in time at the factory. Anyone have input?
Chances are those engines are most likely already broken in. I know the new Porsche 996TT comes with 0-40 synthetic, but the dealer also told me that the engine is broken in before it hits the showroom floor.

Either way, if our cars were meant to be broken in on synthetic, they would be sold with synthetic in it, but they aren't. So my suggestion is, break it in on dyno oil, not synthetic. Then change over to synthetic around 8-10k miles. There is a plethora of threads on this topic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is absolutely NO break in oil. Repeatedly changing the oil at low mileage is not a good practice-even if you replace with conventional oil -ALL oils come with additive packages that contain friction modifiers which will in effect reduce the effect of any run in period. Todays manufacturing accuracy really does eliminate the tradional break in period. But the argument not to use synthetic oil at low mileage is not valid - repeated oil changes load the motor with these standard friction modifiers which will do the same thing a synthetic will-reduce friction. My Porsche came from the factory with synthetic oil-the reason all manufacturers don't do this is simply the cost factor. As far as oil filters-use OEM-not all are created equal-if you don't believe it-cut them apart-you will see a difference. Going 3000 miles on the first oil is a sound practice. If you are that concerned purchase oil analysis kits and use them at each oil change and keep a log. You will see that repeated oil changes are a waste of money. This is my 2 cents. Its your car do with it as you wish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
spacemanspiff said:
Look this is no raggin on you, but trust me after building engine after engine I can tell you that the second that engine fires the rings seat and everything wears immediately. Why Subaru didn't outfit the car with M1 is beyond me. Mitsu, Chrysler, Porsche and many others use M1 right from the word go. So where ever you read your info at you need to toss it, because it's very misleading. The subject is beaten to death and makes me nuts.

So to everyone out there if you wanna switch to synthetic it's quite alright to do it at 1k. Also, you may want to stick with either the OEM Oil Filter or the Purolator filter not the low end Purolator, but the highend one. I can't remember which filter it is.

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
spacemanspiff said:

Hence the general rule of thumb... ask yourself this question:

Am I burning any oil during the first miles of my car?

If so, run dino until you stop burning oil.

If you don't burn anything, then by all means, switch to synthetic.

I check my oil level maybe 2-3 times a week and really keep an eye on it. You should do the same thing to make sure you are not burning any oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts