ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all , I’m new to forum scene and I wanted to get a few opinions on the possible mods I’m going to do to my 98 wrx ( EJ20 2.0L ) , I want to try push 300-400hp. This is what I had in mind:

FMIC
TD06 - 18g ? ( not sure what turbo would push decent power and not have too much lag )
850cc injectors
CAI
walbro pump
Forged pistons
Forged rods
External wastegate
TBE
Aftermarket Unequal length headers
Stage 3 cams

That’s all I can think of at the moment if you have any other mods or suggestions I would appreciate!!

Thanks !!

·
Æternum
19,734 Posts
A lot of this seems a bit all over the place. Firstly, the car is 23 years old, so likely will require a LOT of freshening. At this point, it would make sense to replace ALL bushings in the car with OEM or (if you have a penchant for pain) Poly bushings. This can get somewhat pricey in and of itself. There are a number of great performance shops in Aus and you should reach out and start a relationship. The first question I have is -- what options are available for reflashing the ECU? There may be none and you might have to invest in something like a Haltech. Any one of these modifications will require tuning.

Not needed for those power levels. Your local company ProcessWest is world renowned for their intercooler cores and produce some of the best TMIC in the world. Keeping the OEM IC routing will reduce lag, something that is CRITICAL on the small 2L w/ no VVT.

TD06 - 18g ? ( not sure what turbo would push decent power and not have too much lag )
The 18G is a good sized turbo for the 2L (I ran one myself) and will make anywhere between 320 and 360 horsepower at the wheels. The TD05 housing is a much better option for the small engine. A billet wheel like the one offered by Blouch is a good solution.

OEM Airbox is fine for your application.

850cc injectors
Injector Dynamics IDX1050s are virtually unbeatable in a mildly upgraded engine. In my experience they have superior fuel control than OEM injectors in spite of the reduced resolution.

Forged pistons
Forged rods
OK, but is it necessary? Be aware that a built engine can cost anywhere from $12k to $20k AUD. Is it worth spending more than the car is worth?

Aftermarket Unequal length headers
There is no reason for you NOT to go with a Equal Length Header at this point. UELs were installed for packaging and cost savings by Subaru. There is a reason that all the new Subaru platforms have Equal Length Headers. This is a big opportunity for improvement.

Stage 3 cams
It is silly to simply install cams with no other headwork. Many independent tests have shown that valve size makes the biggest difference in Subaru heads' ability to flow. If you are installing very aggressive cams (not suited for the small turbo you suggested), you will want oversized valves and machined bowls. This will KILL your low end, particularly without AVCS. My recommendation: skip the headwork completely.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A lot of this seems a bit all over the place. Firstly, the car is 23 years old, so likely will require a LOT of freshening. At this point, it would make sense to replace ALL bushings in the car with OEM or (if you have a penchant for pain) Poly bushings. This can get somewhat pricey in and of itself.
Sorry, a bit off topic but I found this interesting. I have a 26y/o Toyota pickup & when I posted about replacing all bushings the yotatech forum hinted towards that being overkill. Personally, I agree with you, I had started replacing suspension parts, bushings, ball joints & the difference is significant. That's just a slow utility vehicle, if I was going to add power to something I would want to be able to control it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Zax ,
Definitely looking at changing bushings and cleaning up the engine for it being 20+ years ( even though my ej20 is actually in pretty good condition)

I forgot to mention I’m looking at doing the mods myself so hopefully costs are a little lower haha

Also I’m thinking of getting a link g4 ecu and definitely going for a tune.

So cams would be useless unless I went with a bigger turbo?

And with the turbo a td06 would push decent power?

I’m looking to go forged internals just in case I want to run higher psi.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it

·
Æternum
19,734 Posts
And with the turbo a td06 would push decent power?
As mentioned, the TD05-18G is better suited to the 2L

So cams would be useless unless I went with a bigger turbo?
In a sense, yes. If your turbocharger is efficient in the airflow ranges that a 2L would produce (say 3500-5500 RPM) you will effectively hurt performance by installing cams that are efficient in the 6000-9000 RPM range. Not to mention the low-end will be absolutely gutted.

I’m looking to go forged internals just in case I want to run higher psi.
PSI is irrelevant. You could probably buy 2x 1998 Subaru WRXs for the price of one fully built engine.

·
Æternum
19,734 Posts
Sorry, a bit off topic but I found this interesting. I have a 26y/o Toyota pickup & when I posted about replacing all bushings the yotatech forum hinted towards that being overkill. Personally, I agree with you, I had started replacing suspension parts, bushings, ball joints & the difference is significant. That's just a slow utility vehicle, if I was going to add power to something I would want to be able to control it.
Rubber bits get hard, shrink and crack. A car feels almost new when a bush refresh is done.

Hell my 5.5 year old STI is starting to feel the years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As mentioned, the TD05-18G is better suited to the 2L

In a sense, yes. If your turbocharger is efficient in the airflow ranges that a 2L would produce (say 3500-5500 RPM) you will effectively hurt performance by installing cams that are efficient in the 6000-9000 RPM range. Not to mention the low-end will be absolutely gutted.

PSI is irrelevant. You could probably buy 2x 1998 Subaru WRXs for the price of one fully built engine.

Ok , I recently heard a 3071 turbo might be more suitable for the power I want achieve , and with the cams if I wanted to upgrade them would getting gc8 sti cams be alright ? Sorry for the newbiness I’m just trying to understand and get a god reliable build that can take a fair bit before needing attention

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts