ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First of all--greetings to all the Subaru guys and gals in the Rocky Mountains. I have heard many good things about this message board and am praying a kind soul out there can offer me some advice.

I recently purchased a 1997 Impreza Outback Sport with 90K on it, knowing there were a few minor problems to be repaired. What I wasn't anticipating was, after driving 3000 miles, to get a repair estimate for $3000.

I consider myself to be mechanically inclined. I have experience with electronics and have done my own car repairs in the past (brakes, replacing all filters, replacing pumps, etc..) What I'm getting at is this.. i don't have a lot of money to spend. I want to know what I can feasably do myself, and furthermore would like a recommendation on a mechanic or dealership to take my poor busted Roo to in order to take care of the other repairs. I also would like to know what repair manuals I should purchase (Chiltons, Subaru Factory, etc...)

Here is what is in need of repair, in order of importance:

1) Wiper motor was diagnosed as broken. Makes awful noise and does not engage wiper blades. This is the most important repair I could use right now with the rain.. Can this part be salvaged at a junk yard? Can I easily perform this repair without specialty mechanics tools? Was quoted $275 for this repair.

2) Clutch is slipping. Needs replacement. Was quoted $600-900 for this repair

3) Needs a tune-up and other standard 90K service. Do I really need all my fluids flushed at this point? Was quoted by dealership $450 for full service, or $190 for tune-up alone.

4) Leaking water pump. Was quoted $500 for parts and labor.. Additional $80 if I want the timing belt replaced at the same time. (It was replaced at 60k)

5) Leaking valve cover gaskets. Was quoted $100-125.

6) Power steering rack is leaking. Was quoted $600.

This would kill me. Please, I beg for a kind person to lend their advice to me! :)

Peace,
-chris

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
For cheap parts shipped to your door use http://www.subaruparts.com, and change out the parts yourself.
Sooper Rupair in Boulder is great for the stuff you don't feel like you can do and they may be cheaper than Mike Shaw...

If I were you and I had to spend ~$2000 on fixing a OBS I would get a USDM WRX or JDM front clip and swap it in there http://www.finelineimports.net/subaru_usedengines.htm it should have all the parts you need... but that is a much larger project
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Any advice on what cars might have a compatible wiper motor that I could pull at a junkyard?

--Nevermind, I found one at a junkyard. :) $65.

·
Registered
880 Posts
mourning_air said:

If I were you and I had to spend ~$2000 on fixing a OBS I would get a USDM WRX or JDM front clip and swap it in there http://www.finelineimports.net/subaru_usedengines.htm it should have all the parts you need... but that is a much larger project
Good luck
I just went to that sight and got an awesome quote on a wrx engine and a sti tranny... yippie:wiggles: I'm highly considering that now...:eek: :D Thanx mang...;)

-Jon-

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
blueslsti said:
I just went to that sight and got an awesome quote on a wrx engine and a sti tranny... yippie:wiggles: I'm highly considering that now...:eek: :D Thanx mang...;)

-Jon-
Doesn't Max's work do that kind of stuff, at least the engine? You might want to check them out too before you do anything. Support the locals.:D

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
1. Wiper motor - looks like you've got that covered.

2. Clutch - exactly how mechanically inclined are you, and how many tools do you have access to? If you don't have air tools, it will take a while, but it's not impossible. However if you were going to pay for any one of those repairs, I'd say this one would be the most worthwhile. It would save you a lot of time, effort, blood, sweat and tears to just have a shop do it. I recommend Mobile Mechanics in Golden across from John Elway Subaru on Colfax or Strictly Automotive on Santa Fe and uhh....11th?

3. Water pump - never done one, I honestly have no clue.

4 & 5. I've done valve cover gaskets on a 2.2, they're simple. Buy them (OEM - trust me, there's a difference) and do them yourself, but don't forget to buy the bolt seals also. A tune up would be a good thing to do at the same time as the valve cover gaskets. I'm not sure what the 90k service requires, but when I did my 30k, I did air filter, fuel filter, tranny and diff, oil, coolant. Check your belts, if you see cracking or glazing, replace those.

6. Power steering racks always leak. How bad is yours leaking? If you're refilling your power steering fluid weekly, I'd worry. If it just appears leaky from the outside, but you don't have to refill it constantly, it's really not a big deal.

Good luck.

Edit for the 50th time: Max works at my old work. It's a wholesale engine rebuilding shop and they don't do aftermarket or performace work. Everything pretty much comes in and goes out on a truck, so no installs. Most of the engines are built on an exchange basis (IE you send in a core, and they send you a rebuilt longblock). You don't just call up and get a brand new complete engine and tranny. Sorry.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Yeah, pretty much. Er...well, not always, but for the most part. And since EJ20's are so new in the US, most of them are still under warranty and are replaced with a new one from the dealer instead of being rebuilt, so they don't really do EJ20's. Only special order.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
blueslsti said:

-Jon-
I've never bought anything from them, but I've heard lots of good stuff about them. If you don't mind me asking, would you PM me the quote price that they gave you...just curious in case I ever have to do it :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to say THANKS for all the replies, especially to Zoombaru.

I managed to easily reaplace my wiper motor with the one I picked up at the junkyard.

Now, the next step is finding someone who does decent work to replace my clutch. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Water pumps are actually pretty easy. I don't know how cramped it is inside the 2.2 engine bay, but it's not hard work at all. You might as well buy new belts since those will have to come off. The only other parts you'll need is the waterpump and some RTV sealant. I'll copy the page out of the manual from my work and let you know if it looks really hard (I did it in an inline RWD-longitudinally opposed motor EASY!). Good luck.

I also agree with Zoombaru, the clutch you can do yourself.

And the powersteering rack is the something I know NOTHING about. We removed ours when it started leaking on our Nissan. Well, it was four-wheel-steering. Anyway, if you can figure out where it's at, I'd say just go get a new part from the junkyard and replace it yourself, providing that it looks easy.

When it comes down to manuals, OEM are the best. They're expensive, but I'd definitely invest in a set of Subaru ones.

·
Registered
880 Posts
mike270 said:
Oh well.....it was a nice try.:D :)
Have you checked out that site though. Damn, I want some stuff from them...;) :D :wiggles:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts