ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys new to the forum,
I recently bought a 1996 STI for $5500NZD and it's pretty tidy overall. 145,000 KMs on it goes really well and am stoked with it. The previous owner has put a boost gauge on it and at full boost it only reads 10psi? he said that the car was fully stock other than a 2.5inch exhaust to a 3inch tip (unsure of turbo back or catback) but i thought that the stis were meant to be around a bar stock?

Thanks guys and heres some photos of it.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
That does sound low. This is a mostly American website, but we have a few members from overseas. We didn't get the WRX until 2002, and the STi came in 2004. The 2004 STi had a boost level right around a bar, but that was with a vf39 and the EJ257. Your car has a different turbo, and different engine. Someone may know around here, but I'm unsure.

Welcome to the club though, and that's a very cool car.

If you're concerned about low boost, the first things that you should start looking at are the vacuum lines that are involved in the boost control system, and also the intercooler hoses. If your car is 16 years old, then there's a possibility that those hoses could have cracked. Any of those that has cracked could create a leak that would limit the amount of boost you're making.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there guys new to the forum,
I recently bought a 1996 STI for $5500NZD and it's pretty tidy overall. 145,000 KMs on it goes really well and am stoked with it. The previous owner has put a boost gauge on it and at full boost it only reads 10psi? he said that the car was fully stock other than a 2.5inch exhaust to a 3inch tip (unsure of turbo back or catback) but i thought that the stis were meant to be around a bar stock?

Thanks guys and heres some photos of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That does sound low. This is a mostly American website, but we have a few members from overseas. We didn't get the WRX until 2002, and the STi came in 2004. The 2004 STi had a boost level right around a bar, but that was with a vf39 and the EJ257. Your car has a different turbo, and different engine. Someone may know around here, but I'm unsure.

Welcome to the club though, and that's a very cool car.

If you're concerned about low boost, the first things that you should start looking at are the vacuum lines that are involved in the boost control system, and also the intercooler hoses. If your car is 16 years old, then there's a possibility that those hoses could have cracked. Any of those that has cracked could create a leak that would limit the amount of boost you're making.
Cheers mate, yeah will look at the hoses. Thanks for the help.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
I don't have an answer for your question, but that is a darn good lookin 16 year old car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha thanks mate. The paints got a few scratches and cracks particularly on the rear bumper and a few touch up jobs but overall jst needs a good cut and polish and a bit of paint haha. I never noticed the stock black stis like mine have a bit of red fleck in the paint. cheers.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Haha thanks mate. The paints got a few scratches and cracks particularly on the rear bumper and a few touch up jobs but overall jst needs a good cut and polish and a bit of paint haha. I never noticed the stock black stis like mine have a bit of red fleck in the paint. cheers.
Really? Interesting!

Also, I take it you are in New Zealand? North or south island?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took it to winger subaru today. The guy there printed off the diagram and in the diagram it didnt show a restrictor in the wastegate-compressor housing tube so he said there isnt meant to be one there. Is he wrong? Everything else seemed to be hooked up correctly so we werent sure. Ive booked it in for next monday.

He also searched up 1996 sti and confirmed it is supposed to be 17psi.

On saying that when i got home i remembered the post about taking that line off the T and to be careful. So i took off the vacuum line that goes to the compressor housing, from the T and accelerated up to almost 4k looking at the boost gauge. It spooled up so much quicker and got to about 13psi so i shifted to stop it from blowing up. It definitely pulled harder than before. So i am convinced that a pill is infact supposed to be in that vacuum line but it did not show it on the diagram? I have read on multiple places that there is supposed to be a restriction pill in this tube and it all make sense considering blocking it off makes it boost alot more. The only problem is i don't know which pill i should be getting? does anyone know the part number?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took it to winger subaru today. The guy there printed off the diagram and in the diagram it didnt show a restrictor in the wastegate-compressor housing tube so he said there isnt meant to be one there. Is he wrong? Everything else seemed to be hooked up correctly so we werent sure. Ive booked it in for next monday.

He also searched up 1996 sti and confirmed it is supposed to be 17psi.

On saying that when i got home i remembered the post about taking that line off the T and to be careful. So i took off the vacuum line that goes to the compressor housing, from the T and accelerated up to almost 4k looking at the boost gauge. It spooled up so much quicker and got to about 13psi so i shifted to stop it from blowing up. It definitely pulled harder than before. So i am convinced that a pill is infact supposed to be in that vacuum line but it did not show it on the diagram? I have read on multiple places that there is supposed to be a restriction pill in this tube and it all make sense considering blocking it off makes it boost alot more. The only problem is i don't know which pill i should be getting? does anyone know the part number?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok so basicly i need the part number for the VF23 restrictor pill, i beleive it is a 0.9mm restrictor pill?
Hey mate I just did this exact same thing this weekend (put in restrictor pill) Im in NZ too! If you can't find a pill use a 0.9mm mig welding tip and that will work spot on.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Yeah north island NZ
I'm near Philadelphia in the US, but can proudly say that I spent a week and change on the north island when I was a youngun. Part of a student ambassador program. I hope to someday make it back, I loved NZ (more than Australia SHHHH)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts