ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the above that I have taken good care of. At 225000 I am concerned about this new increased ethanol regulation going into effect. Not mechanically inclined so someone please give me some options. I am 78 and this is a second car, but like a friend:rotfl:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I am really not familiar with the regulation but I am assuming its the addition of some ethanol to the pump gas... The only reason I could think to do this is to keep a sufficient octane rating, when removing some other additives that preformed a raise in octane, but were deemed harmful to the environment..

I think there is a tax credit for companies that offer ethanol. Its a .10 cents per gallon tax credit. Im not sure if this will be an additive or E-85. You dont want to run E-85 in your car. You should run your standard pump gas which isn't getting replaced anytime soon.

As for the additives to the gas and your high millage. I guess your worried about the impact it will have on your car. You should be fine. The ethanol shouldn't be put in the gas in large amounts. I doubt you will even know its there. Besides your not the only one that has high millage on a car. Im sure the regulation has this in consideration.

·
Admiral Ackbar the 1st
15,697 Posts
You will see a marginal decrease in fuel mileage and that should be all.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You will see a marginal decrease in fuel mileage and that should be all.
Was I correct in thinking that its a replacement for other additives in the fuel? or is there other reason behind this?

·
Admiral Ackbar the 1st
15,697 Posts
Was I correct in thinking that its a replacement for other additives in the fuel? or is there other reason behind this?
Yeah, I think it is part replacing MTBE and part "alternative fuel" incentive.

I should add that it has many critics for having a short shelf life (really short) and collecting water plus. Most of us are running e10 whether we know it or not.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Are we not we better off with it? I mean our timing should be able to advance more right? Or not since they are replacing the other additives. I can see the ethanol collecting much more water in the tank tough, unless they add more crap to our gas to fix that...

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
Are we not we better off with it? I mean our timing should be able to advance more right?
Actually, no we aren't. Ethanol requires more energy to make than it produces, so it's not resource efficient by any means. And I remember when it was first introduced. I lost something like 4 mpg. I also had to have my tune adjusted. And no, it will not allow timing to advance anymore because the octane in E10 is still the same as it was before. E10 93 is still 93 octane.

·
Admiral Ackbar the 1st
15,697 Posts
Ok thats what I was thinking... 4 MPG is a good amount... What all was effected on the tune?
Rescaling the injectors is advised by several.

Pretty sure mine needs work looking at my fuel trims and wideband A/Fs

·
The Legendary Bad Ass (aka; Buzzz)
5,399 Posts
Ethanol in fuel is a government regulation that just flat out sucks! None of the benefits and all of the downfalls.
If you could set up to use E85, you can get the benefits of 106 octane. But E10 just gets worse fuel economy. That is about it.

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
Ethanol in fuel is a government regulation that just flat out sucks! None of the benefits and all of the downfalls.
If you could set up to use E85, you can get the benefits of 106 octane. But E10 just gets worse fuel economy. That is about it.
Yes, it was done for 3 reasons: to subsidize corn (who's growers were having financial issues for years, and they still are but not as bad) and to satiate people who were demanding that the US become less dependent on foreign oil and people who were screaming for use of renewable resources.

Ethanol fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (read up)

·
The Legendary Bad Ass (aka; Buzzz)
5,399 Posts
However, let me tell you that I am switching my beloved "Red", the truck in my avitar over to E85. I am also switching my little boat, the D'cucci, the Schiada, and two of the race engines I am building right now over to E85. I also set up the K39 for E85 as well.
But the key there is that you need to set the thing up to maximize E85 or there is no benefit at all. And E10 is an absolute waste of space and resourses. Just be lucky that you have an injected car that can computer adjust for the change, because in Phoenix we have been doing E10 for over a decade. I have to change carburetors over from the MTBE season to E10 season. Between that and losing MPG, I just get cranky!:mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts