ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 84 interceptor for a while, it has been jetted and bored. has an aftermarket race exhaust. cant remember what kind though, its been in my brothers shed for the better part of a year. i have had problems with it overheating and apparently my bro who was in charge of taking care of it while i am away has let all the hoses dry rot! i want to rebuild this bike and make it the beauty i know it can be. anyone have any experience with this bike or something similar?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
yea from a dealer stand point most of the parts are discontinued. That doesnt mean you cant find parts, interceptors are quite popular bikes and web companies out there will have a large selection of rebuild parts. Good luck and post pics. Oh... dont forget to ***** slap your brother.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i knew when i bought it that it was old and parts would have to be found. i was skeptical about buying this bike but it started up first try, i actually forgot to add the biggest issue... second gear is gone :-( i think theres a few broken teeth because it catches and rattles when i tried to use it. it also needs a new clutch because the one on there slips alot. never had the time to really get into it though. its my upcoming project, just need the time for it.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
well now your needing to remove the motor and do a complete tear down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know its coming, plus I'm not too solid on what I'm doing so i wasn't going to start till i had the cash and more importantly the time to invest.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
buy a service manual. No not clymer or hanes. Actual honda service manual for that particular bike. Look it over and make the decision on you fix or a shop fix

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I had an 03 VFR800, they're awesome machines and really fun to ride. You should check out VFRworld.com if you haven't already - there are a good number of members there that have a lot of experience with the early VF's, and seem to go nuts over the 1000s. They can give you some detailed information about what you're looking at in the upcoming repair/maintenance.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
buy a service manual. No not clymer or hanes. Actual honda service manual for that particular bike. Look it over and make the decision on you fix or a shop fix
The actual Honda service manuals (at least the ones that I've seen) are very well done and helpful. In my opinion, it's just as important to have as gas in the tank.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
If my opinion means anything, run and run away fast.

That bike is a nightmare to work on. They stuffed 20lbs of **** in a 10lb bag. The original Honda V4's were a nightmare to work on, even on the bench. Splitting those cases will require lots of patience and know how. Every V4 case I ever split has left a notch on my wall. Not a notch of experience, notches from thrown tools.

The carburetors are a bear to pull out, and even more difficult to work on and get running properly. This is coming from somebody who enjoys rebuilding and tuning multi carb setups. Plan on needing new impossible to find diaphragms and plastic fuel nipples. The minute you tug on the fuel hose to remove it, they will snap off.

Inspect the rear cylinder head cam bearings. They are notorious for oil starvation issues. If the cam bearings are wiped, you will need a replacement rear cylinder head. No, the front and rear are not the same.

The timing chains were prone to stretching and the guides wearing about by 15-20k miles.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,206 Posts
The last two examples I saw had "BUY ME" written all over them as far as my heart was concerned but my mind had the last say. There was juice coming out of almost every fitting, and I was staring at one coolant line and could not figure out where it went, why it was there, or how to stop the leaking for the life of me.

I HATE to say this, I am a Gerard Coudray-Patrick Igoa-Honda VF endurance racer fan from childhood, but I am completely certain Trainrex is right. I really wish those bikes held up better, I really do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts