Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My WRX will be my daily driver and I plan to keep it for a long while. Also want to keep the factory warranty intact. Since oil catch cans don't need a tune I could just reverse the install if I ever needed warrenty work. I've done research on the carbon build up issue but it seems most of the info is kinda old. Wanna try and prevent the build up from happening and also as I understand how it works it would also keep the gas out of my oil pan. Would this be a good idea to do on my WRX? What's a good kit that is easy to use and looks stockish? Something that can be revirted if need be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Not sure what an oil catch can is. But my experience has been that if you drive the car like a little old man, carbon buildup on the catalytic converter can indeed happen. SeaFoam helped mine.

From what I hear, if you drive it more aggressively the buildup is not too bad, at least in the cat.....

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
My WRX will be my daily driver and I plan to keep it for a long while. Also want to keep the factory warranty intact. Since oil catch cans don't need a tune I could just reverse the install if I ever needed warrenty work. I've done research on the carbon build up issue but it seems most of the info is kinda old. Wanna try and prevent the build up from happening and also as I understand how it works it would also keep the gas out of my oil pan. Would this be a good idea to do on my WRX? What's a good kit that is easy to use and looks stockish? Something that can be revirted if need be.

Your spitting into the wind. It will help, but not enough to ever justify itself in hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A air oil separator would be less maintenance since you have to periodically empty a catch can. I got the Crawford aos and when you remove the sticker it looks very stock, it doesn't use coolant lines to heat up instead opting to utilize the ambient engine heat, in which case makes it much easier to install and revert to stock. An aos will help prevent oil buildup in your intake track such as oil building up in your intercooler, in our direct injection engines this will help prevent oil from getting into the cylinder from the intake port that can hamper proper ignition (oil will still be in your cyl via blowby via piston rings) but it can make a difference in our touch engines, will also help prevent carbon buildup on our valves, the EGR will still dump exhaust onto the valves but you have less oil helping it along. Only remedy is to do a EGR delete but that's another post

·
Registered
171 Posts
A air oil separator would be less maintenance since you have to periodically empty a catch can. I got the Crawford aos and when you remove the sticker it looks very stock, it doesn't use coolant lines to heat up instead opting to utilize the ambient engine heat, in which case makes it much easier to install and revert to stock. An aos will help prevent oil buildup in your intake track such as oil building up in your intercooler, in our direct injection engines this will help prevent oil from getting into the cylinder from the intake port that can hamper proper ignition (oil will still be in your cyl via blowby via piston rings) but it can make a difference in our touch engines, will also help prevent carbon buildup on our valves, the EGR will still dump exhaust onto the valves but you have less oil helping it along. Only remedy is to do a EGR delete but that's another post
Great informative post!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know egr delete is the real fix but it requires a tune and I want to keep the factory warranty intact for at least the first 10k miles.

Also I thought aos are not as effective as catch cans? I don't mind having to empty a catch can every 1000 miles or so. Still not sure if I'm gonna do it or not.

I've also read that water injection works really well for carbon build up but that would also require a tune and thus void warrenty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts