• vf39

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all long time no see :D . I am on the brink of purchasing a turbo from Jerry at Deadbolt and I want some last minute comments. My goal for now is to make 320 whp on pump gas with a minimum of lag. I know that the 18 + 20g can make it easily and the vf 39, since it has a larger "stage 2 wheel" could do it also. I am gonna run a fmic eventually to accompany my catless stage 2 with 650cc injectors.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thats what i thought rancid but i am catless, at sea level, and the 20g comes fully p&p'd, ceramic coated, etc. so I think it might be alright. there's always the option of putting in a custom wheel. By the way thanks for the quick responses all.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Ah I didn't know about sea level.

I would definately go with the 18G, spools like a VF30, pulls like crazy. You will be trapping 116+ with race gas.

If you know you want big power go with an FP Green. Everyone says that the spool from 20g to green is so similiar but the green just keeps pulling til redline. I've been kinda looking to get a Green and when I searched the personal classifieds I ran into so many threads of 20G's for sale to get a Green. :eek:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Mad WRX said:
Ah I didn't know about sea level.

I would definately go with the 18G, spools like a VF30, pulls like crazy. You will be trapping 116+ with race gas.

If you know you want big power go with an FP Green. Everyone says that the spool from 20g to green is so similiar but the green just keeps pulling til redline. I've been kinda looking to get a Green and when I searched the personal classifieds I ran into so many threads of 20G's for sale to get a Green. :eek:
Sell me yours!:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah I am mainly considering the 18g + vf 39, the 20g was just an possible option. I have also heard great things about the green, once my 2.0 lets go I think i'm gonna put in the 257 (your setup) and run the green.

·
5,799 Posts
20G is very streetable on a 2.0L with appropriate supporting mods. It's a 'topend' turbo however. The 18G will pull on it at legal speeds, I believe. IHI VF turbos give an awful lot of lag for not much flow, comparatively speaking. That's just my impression having run a 20G (and 16G), and various VF-series turbos on a 2.0L, and having driven several 18G EJ20s.

The Green is probably a more practical option now than the 20G due to availability.

Be aware that the highest flowing VF doesn't even come close to the 18G. I wouldn't bother going that route unless you are looking for extremely modest gains.

-Pace

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I hear what your saying Pace, but the vf 39 I'm looking at is rebuilt with a much larger wheel and from what Jerry has said, it will give the 18g a run for its money. I'm leaning towards the 39 just because of the fact that it is the same price as an 18g (way less than a 20g) with just oil cooling and the necessary hardware.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jerrys 20g isn't but 250 or so more than the oil cooled only 18g. I would get the 20g (since I already did :) ) And I am putting out 320 whp. The thing I don't understand about everyone selling their 20g is you can upgrade the wheels in it later to the TD06-h wheel (FP green) for 300$. Then you don't have to take that big hit in depreciation..

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The vf39 will never catch up to the 18g...it is a superior turbo. The 20g doesnt make sense because you minds as well go to the green. The 18g spools nicely and has a good kick up top. The best all around turbo for someone who wants alot of power from the wrx. I made my power below w/it. 21psi is on pump and a conservative tune...couldve made some more...on both maps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah true 13 sec., I know what the 18g is like as I had one on for a while (never got it tuned, just a test run you might say :)) and have decided to look at other options besides the 18g. Also I love the package ideas that deadbolt is putting together, they make really nice turbos. As for the vf 39, I have talked to a few others who have the stage 2 vf39 and they stated that it is really quite similar to the 18g with a little less lag. I suspect I'll eventually try them all and eventually end up with a 2.5 block with a green or something similar.
Matt

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its port and polished and has a huge wheel + other modifications, not sure what it flows but I'll ask.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Ahh..not a stocker eh...well the vf22 that people adv. that is all of that still doesnt flow nearly as well...but maybe the vf39 is different.

·
Registered
449 Posts
18g vs 20g

Coming from the DSM world, many guys were not satisfied with the overall usability of the 20g. Same deal: they wound up ditching their 20g's for greens.

20g, on those cars at least, had a not so friendly spool up time -- fine for dragging, but, not for street.

I ran a small 16g for a while and it spooled up real fast -- 18g would probably be just right for a streetable setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts