ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i just had a few questions about the 18g. i plan on putting one on this summer, but i just need some info about supporting mods. i know on the ots maps, i just need the sti tmic, a fuel pump and exhaust, but if i wanted a good protune, what other supporting mods would the suggest, and what would they set the boost to. also, that is the brand and model of the sti tmic.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here's my engine mod list if it helps:

Blouch Performance Turbo TD05H-18G 8cm<2 turbocharger
NGK Irridium spark plugs – 1 step colder
Power Enterprise 800cc twin nozzle fuel injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Perrin fuel rails
Perrin intercooler y-pipe
Perrin turbo inlet hose
Perrin throttle body hose
Perrin MAF hose
Samco air bypass hose
Subaru intake silencer block off panel
Perrin radiator shroud
Perrin uppipe
Cobb Tuning short ram intake
Cobb Tuning turbo heat shield
Cobb Tuning 3” catback exhaust
Cobb Tuning 3” catted downpipe
Cobb Tuning urethane exhaust hangers
Cobb Tuning battery tie-down
Cobb Tuning Accessport V1.0 ECU programmer
TurboXS top mount intercooler
TurboXS RFL blow off valve
GM boost control solenoid

2002 WRB wagon...
Tuned at 305AWHP & 260AWTQ on 93 oct. at 20.6PSI by Agile...
Waiting for PPG gears to really turn the boost up...

Have any questions just ask...

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
^All that is good and you have very nice set up, but you don't need all that. But to make it easy I would get new inj. (ask tunner what he likes), fuel pump, FMIC or TMIC, Up-pipe, EM, GMBCS, Turbo inlet, RAI(spt or K&N), and a TBE.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Here's my engine mod list if it helps:

Blouch Performance Turbo TD05H-18G 8cm<2 turbocharger
NGK Irridium spark plugs – 1 step colder
Power Enterprise 800cc twin nozzle fuel injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Perrin intercooler y-pipe
Perrin turbo inlet hose
Perrin throttle body hose
Perrin MAF hose
Samco air bypass hose
Perrin uppipe
Cobb Tuning short ram intake
Cobb Tuning 3” catback exhaust
Cobb Tuning 3” catted downpipe
Cobb Tuning Accessport V1.0 ECU programmer
TurboXS top mount intercooler
GM boost control solenoid

2002 WRB wagon...
Tuned at 305AWHP & 260AWTQ on 93 oct. at 20.6PSI by Agile...
Waiting for PPG gears to really turn the boost up...

Have any questions just ask...
I'm just gonna edit out the stuff in the above list that I don't think you need. But other than the BOV I don't think anything could hurt. I definitely support replacing all the factory hoses, and I too went the Perrin route, but I believe Gimmick motorsports offers what are essentially the exact same hoses at a lower price. The stock turbo heat shield can be trimmed to fit, and while the radiator shroud probably does help a little - I wouldn't bother. Oh, and I would recommend going catless and running a divorced dp like Bosal or Prodrive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You may have trouble holding over 18PSI on the stock BPV. I crushed mine and it still would not hold - hence the BOV.

Plan what you want first & then stick to it. I did around 2 months of planning/research before I started buying and assembling.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
You may have trouble holding over 18PSI on the stock BPV. I crushed mine and it still would not hold - hence the BOV.

Plan what you want first & then stick to it. I did around 2 months of planning/research before I started buying and assembling.
My stock BPV is holding 20psi just fine, and I've never crushed it(nor would I). I've heard they are iffy around 22-24psi. Why did you switch to a BOV? Why not upgrade to a better BPV instead of creating a known issue with the BOV on your MAF tuned car?

:sadwave: keep an eye on your oil with that bov

·
Registered
111 Posts
NO...I'm not experiencing any issues at all with it. Calibrated correctly with spacers & was tuned with it on. Just a part someone gave me so no out of pocket cost to me. Just keep it clean and lubed and it works just fine. Car gets regular oil changes at 1,200-1,500 miles. To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
NO...I'm not experiencing any issues at all with it. Calibrated correctly with spacers & was tuned with it on. Just a part someone gave me so no out of pocket cost to me. Just keep it clean and lubed and it works just fine. Curious as to why you think it would affect my oil...to each his own I guess.
I've typed the answer to this BOV question more times than I can count. Link is in my sig so that I don't have to type it any more.

No tune short of a tune that involves converting to MAP for fuel/ignition tuning is going to fix the issue. Fuel goes in, air goes out, fuel pulls oil off cylinder walls and the mix gets thrown out the exhaust. Increased oil consumption, cylinder temps, and therefore friction - all bad stuff in exchange for a sneeze noise.

The choice seems pretty obvious to anyone who understands the problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I didn't post here to justify my build...I posted to show what I use and the results they provide in hopes that someone else can make an informed decision when planning thier build.

Thank for you for your comments.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say that I'll get a +1 from someone on this

I didn't post here to justify my build...I posted to show what I use and the results they provide in hopes that someone else can make an informed decision when planning thier build.

:confused:
You're very welcome. I posted what I did because I hate to see people waste money on BOV's when they are notoriously bad for our MAF tuned cars. By presenting my reasons why - and links backing up what I'm saying can be found easily in google, I believe I even have some in that thread linked in my sig - I am allowing others to make a better informed decision when determining which parts to select for their own car.

A BOV does nothing to add to the performance of the car, I'm sure most here agree with me on this. Even with the conversion to MAP, no benefit is gained compared to using the MAF tuned system as it is stock with a recirculating unit.

·
Registered
609 Posts

I think he was saying that so that the OP was informed on why he shouldn't buy a BOV along with the parts he plans to.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I would get a BOV that is 50/50 or STi BOV.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
On top of the parts you need...I don't suggest the OTS maps unless they are for Short Term Use only...

Nothing beats the gains, and especially safety of getting a protune specifically for what you have on your car.

As for an STI TMIC...its just that: an STI TMIC. Its the stock TMIC you pull off an STI.

If you are thinking of aftermarked upgraded TMICs, APS, Perrin, TurboXS and a couple other companies make good ones. I have an ebay SSAC TMIC upgrade.

But with an 18G...I'd suggest going the FMIC route.

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, i have to agree with Micah though... out cars are not ment for BOV... simple as that. You hear stories of people running them no prob, but in the long run, it decreases their engine life. Plus, i want a sick sleeper, so i will just upgrade my BPV.

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On top of the parts you need...I don't suggest the OTS maps unless they are for Short Term Use only...

Nothing beats the gains, and especially safety of getting a protune specifically for what you have on your car.

As for an STI TMIC...its just that: an STI TMIC. Its the stock TMIC you pull off an STI.

If you are thinking of aftermarked upgraded TMICs, APS, Perrin, TurboXS and a couple other companies make good ones. I have an ebay SSAC TMIC upgrade.

But with an 18G...I'd suggest going the FMIC route.
you dont think that the front mount would create to much lag?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
you dont think that the front mount would create to much lag?
nah...not with an 18G...16G or VF upgrade, yes...but 18G...you'd be fine. Especially if you don't use a huge FMIC. APS makes some of the best that will be the right sizes.

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what about the perrin stealth. i dont want a noticable FMIC. i wana make this a sleeper. lol. im thinking the perrin is too big, but ill check out aps. i also have to make a tranny fund.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts