ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry to start the thread about the 18G and 20G question again, I know this topic has been covered few hundred times already. But I still have some questions would like to get advise before I purchase the turbo, so hopefully you guys can help me out :) Thanks!

I've been searching for the detail on these two turbo for a long time and I finally comes up with two choices: TD05 18G 8cm or TD05 20G 8cm.

My car is 2005 STi with stage 2 setup. (Cobb Stage 2 map)

And here is my goal
-The car will only run 91octane, no race gas or meth.
-300-320whp on Mustang Dyno. (Usable is enough, I don't need to race a Ferrari though...)
-Good respond and no lag (or too much) increase over stock vf39 setup.
-Will only run TMIC because I don't want to increase lag and I want stealth look :)
-IWG setup only.

Since I've heard the 20G is only good for 93+ octane and not a worthy upgrade on 91octane. But yet, somesay the 20G is a better match on 2.5L because the 18G will run out of steam easily... so...

TD05 18G 8cm:
pros:
-Fast respond, almost no lag increase over vf39
-More streetable with 91octane
cons:
-less top-end and will run out of steam easily on 2.5L
-might not able to get me over 300whp with 91octane on mustang dyno

TD05 20G 8cm:
pros:
-better top-end and huge HP increase over stage 2 setup
-a better 2.5L block match and greater TQ power.
cons:
-Might not be a worthy upgrade on 91octane because can't able to get full power out the big housing.
-Noticeable increase over stock and might affect canyon run needed respond.

So... from what I've read so far, they are both great turbo for my car, but yet they do have their own pros and cons... I am really stuck between this two turbo and hope you guys can help me out :)

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Sorry to start the thread about the 18G and 20G question again, I know this topic has been covered few hundred times already. But I still have some questions would like to get advise before I purchase the turbo, so hopefully you guys can help me out :) Thanks!

I've been searching for the detail on these two turbo for a long time and I finally comes up with two choices: TD05 18G 8cm or TD05 20G 8cm.

My car is 2005 STi with stage 2 setup. (Cobb Stage 2 map)

And here is my goal
-The car will only run 91octane, no race gas or meth.
-300-320whp on Mustang Dyno. (Usable is enough, I don't need to race a Ferrari though...)
-Good respond and no lag (or too much) increase over stock vf39 setup.
-Will only run TMIC because I don't want to increase lag and I want stealth look :)
-IWG setup only.

Since I've heard the 20G is only good for 93+ octane and not a worthy upgrade on 91octane. But yet, somesay the 20G is a better match on 2.5L because the 18G will run out of steam easily... so...

TD05 18G 8cm:
pros:
-Fast respond, almost no lag increase over vf39
-More streetable with 91octane
cons:
-less top-end and will run out of steam easily on 2.5L
-might not able to get me over 300whp with 91octane on mustang dyno

TD05 20G 8cm:
pros:
-better top-end and huge HP increase over stage 2 setup
-a better 2.5L block match and greater TQ power.
cons:
-Might not be a worthy upgrade on 91octane because can't able to get full power out the big housing.
-Noticeable increase over stock and might affect canyon run needed respond.

So... from what I've read so far, they are both great turbo for my car, but yet they do have their own pros and cons... I am really stuck between this two turbo and hope you guys can help me out :)

Thank you very much!
20g on 93, do it ;)

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts
in all honesty, the 91 octane will always be a hinderence independant of turbo choice.

I vote methanol injection + custom pro-tune on STG2. w/ this your car > 95% of performance cars on the road.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
if you want the best you can get without alky or meth at least do 93

Why is it your so against 93 exactly?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
yep its true, washington and oregon (and idaho i think) all have 92 oct. cali az nv and i think utah have 91.

yeah, its really really dumb.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
the whole west coast only has 91 oct..why do you think they have a 93 oct map and a 91 oct map for.....:eek:
cheap people :tongue:

·
In Memoriam
3,733 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
nope, dumb legislation....
gotcha, i always thought it was cheap people because most my gas stations in md have both 91/93 or the station a 1/4 mile away has either or

·
Registered
92 Posts
yep its true, washington and oregon (and idaho i think) all have 92 oct. cali az nv and i think utah have 91.

yeah, its really really dumb.
i live in WA and theres a couple of places with 94, and i know one place what has Trick 101 gas. for 6.25/gal.:whoa:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts