ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been on this forum quite alot recently because I am seriously considering picking up a 2004 wrx wagon with stage 4 18g turbo upgrade.

From what I have discovered, this upgrade has been on the vehicle for the past 40k miles. It was professionally installed and tuned with all supporting bits (TMIC upgrade, injectors, fuel pump, AP v.1, etc.. no internal work)

My question is this.. realistically, how much life is left on this motor? I have driven it and the transmission seems fine to me and engine seems fine, i am just weary about how much life is left out of a stock motor with big 18g turbo upgrade

Summary:
2004 wrx wagon
60k miles
18g turbo with supporting bits @ 20k miles
professionally installed and tuned cobb accessport v.1
300whp, 290wtq
stock internals

life expectancy?!

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
No one can answer this.

It depends on the tune, maintenace, and abuse from the previous owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
daily driver

No one can answer this.

It depends on the tune, maintenace, and abuse from the previous owner.
I understand anyone's hesitation to make a comment about engine reliability when all the variables.. are unknown. But let's give the previous owner the benefit of doubt. Let's say it wasn't abused, lets say the car isn't a lemon. From experience on this board, can anyone chime on what they think is the reliability of this vehicle.

This will be my daily driver and I will not abuse it, but I think with a car of this caliber, a few runs to redline would probably happen per drive.

Just so you guys know, it's either this, a 2004 rx-8 with 11k miles, or I'm just going new, either 2009 wrx sedan or 2010 mazdaspeed 3.

The smartest thing to do since i am looking for a daily driver is to get the new cars... but.... no one likes the new car price!

if i get this wagon, i want it to last at least 2 years ~21,000 miles, but damn, by then, the resale would have gone down the toilet.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Honestly the best bet sounds like a nice car or an unmodded properly maintained used car that you can do some minor upgrades to.

There have been several modded WRX's in the 300WHP range make it to the 100k mark...but you are really gambling with the tranny and motor and you are still coming from an unknown previous owner.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Personally, I would not buy a modded '04/EJ205 (or any modded WRX for that matter). It could be one good (or bad) run away from rod knock. I would at least have a compression/leak down test done.

I am running an 18G on my EJ257 hybrid (2.5L using 2.0L heads) and I have forged internals. IMHO, if you are running around 300/300 or more you should really have forged internals if you want to get life out of the engine. This block has 40K on it at 18G power levels, so I would really be worried about the block lasting 2 more years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW, this board moves fast! i've been thinking so much about this and you guys are giving me some great legit answers in less than 5 minutes.

i am inexperienced with subaru's and turbos and their respective reliabilities. i appreciate you guys putting some perspective on the reliability issue since you obviously know more about the ej205 than me.

im quite busy, dont have a garage, want a fun reliable car.. sounds like this wagon ain't for me. can anyone talk me...INTO it?

side post:

2009 wrx sedan base vs 2010 mazdaspeed3 vs 2009 rx-8 r3
price is +-$1500
ms3 is better equipped it seems than wrx (at same price level)
ms3 is hatch (love the utility)
wrx has awd
rx-8 has... hotness.
rx-8 has an amazing drive.

i live in ct right now and i suppose awd is important here, though i will still have my current whip a 1989 civic hatch si which has done me very well in past winters. lack of power steering and its feedback is wonderful in the snow and rain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts