ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the deal, lately i've been going to this mountain pass, and my re92's which are balding on the outsides don't cut it any more.. Now i can get new tires, but I really want new rims for my car, especially the advan rg. I don't have a problem getting the 17x7.5, but the 18x7.5 look complete to my on a wrx.. like a perfect fit. Are the 18''s like really bad for track/auto-x and mountain racing? Well are the advan rg's really bad, in terms of lateral weight distribution, the rim weight, size, offset, etc.. Help me out if you guys can, the 18''s are just an idea.. If their a big problem for racing then I'll probably just stick wit the 17x7.5..

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bigger rims can be two-fold bad.

First, they're more unsprung weight. This means that this is weight that has to move with every bump, making it harder on your suspension, and requiring more adjustment to control.

Second, they're more rotational weight. This means that it is weight that the engine must move whenever you accellerate. More rotational weight, slower accelleration.

This is why most serious racers go for smaller (15-17") wheels with hard side-wall tires. Also, racing rims tend to be simple. One set I saw on the Mitsu board were 15" steel rims that weighed in at only 12 lbs!

The WRX rims are about 16.5 lbs if I remember correctly, so keep that in mind when you are picking your rims. Also remember that a 19lb rim is 10 more lbs total for your suspension and engine to move around.

Good luck and do a lot of research if you want a good racing setup.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
There's really only one reason to go to 18" wheels and that's if you need very large brakes- since most BBK kits fit under 17" wheels there really is no reason to go to 18" rims.

In addition to the performance decreases noted above- 18" rims are much more likley to get bent vs 17" rims (less sidewall protecting them).

Just my .02- there are plenty of guys running 18's because they like the looks, nothing wrong w/ that IMO if you know all the facts going in.

Big Sky

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
phreze said:
Those advans are still probably only 16lbs in 18x7.5 form.
Actually my friend just got 18x7.5 and they measure to be about 19.3 lbs alone.. So, they arent that light, I'm not sure if their cast or forged.. The 17x7.5 are 16.2 lbs, about the same weight as the stock 16'' wrx rims... And as for tires.. Which tires would go best with these? I was thinking about going with Falken Azenis ZR tires, but I heard these get really hot really fast.. What tires are good in terms of grip and heat capacity..?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
The Azeni's have very good dry grip (probably the top tire choice of the STX class)- they can get a little greasy at high temps under high loads (autox). The other popular tire of choice is the Kumho MX- little less dry grip, better at handling heat.

If your looking for both wet and dry grip- look at the S03's, Pilot Sports, T1S's, GSD3's or PZero Nero's- lot's of good choices in this group. They do give up a little dry grip to the Azeni's, but more than make up for it in the wet.

Big Sky

·
Registered
465 Posts
legik said:
Actually my friend just got 18x7.5 and they measure to be about 19.3 lbs alone.. So, they arent that light, I'm not sure if their cast or forged.. The 17x7.5 are 16.2 lbs, about the same weight as the stock 16'' wrx rims... And as for tires.. Which tires would go best with these? I was thinking about going with Falken Azenis ZR tires, but I heard these get really hot really fast.. What tires are good in terms of grip and heat capacity..?
I thought I read the 18x7.5 Advans to be 16.5lbs but those might be the tcII's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts