Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got about 1000 miles on my new 17' WRX, and have been thinking about how I want to upgrade my exhaust. Since it is my daily driver I wanted to keep it somewhat on the quiet side at lower RPM's, but sound more aggressive when you open up the throttle. I've been looking at about a million different options. Cat back, axle back, turbo back, etc. Since my car is brand new, and I don't want to tune it (opted for the 100k mile warranty), I am going to keep it to a cat back setup.

I think having the mufflers right behind the bumper looks horrible. I love the factory quad tips, but dislike the mufflers being so visable. I was thinking about taking my car to an exhaust shop and get a custom catback setup. I would put a muffler where the factory resonator is, and just put some sort of heat barrier above the muffler. Looking at photos online of the undercarriage of my WRX it looks like there will be enough room to put a decent sized round muffler there to help keep it somewhat on the quiet side. Maybe even fit in a smaller resonator to help keep the sound down.

Has anyone done something similar to this? Any complications or things I should know about? It's how Evo X exhausts are run if anyone is familiar with that.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
That's great if you want exactly everything you said you didn't want. Get a nameless 5", invidia q300, Corsa, ETS quiet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's great if you want exactly everything you said you didn't want. Get a nameless 5", invidia q300, Corsa, ETS quiet.

Yeah. I agree with xjman. The nameless with the 5 inch muffler wont be too loud and the muffler isnt really visible and its a circular resonator so it doesnt look like the factory muffler

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah. I agree with xjman. The nameless with the 5 inch muffler wont be too loud and the muffler isnt really visible and its a circular resonator so it doesnt look like the factory muffler

And the q300 has large mufflers behinx the exhaust tips

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Invidia also makes the R400 now, which has mufflers that aren't nearly as large as the Q300.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Not sure what you mean by saying it won't give me what I want.

It'll hide the muffler, and there are many different types of universal round mufflers I can have the shop weld on in place of the resonator. If anything it would give me more options than just 3-4 different CBE/ABE available that are reasonably quiet. Getting rid of the mufflers behind the bumper is priority #1.

Also is that a boxer/shepherd mix in your avatar? I have a puppy that looks exactly like him!

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
The resonator and muffler both work to keep your exhaust from beating your ears to death. If you remove one or the other you will add an ignorant amount of drone to your system.

Your resonator is in place to dampen certain resonance that is super offensive in the cabin, and the muffler is to quiet or add tone to the overall sound.

Nah, he is just a mutt you can see more of him in the dog thread.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
You're going to spend a ton of money on a quality "custom" exhaust, or half the price of a quality mandrel bent exhaust for some hack-welded monstrosity, You could always go for the nameless catback with no mufflers and just a resonator.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The resonator and muffler both work to keep your exhaust from beating your ears to death. If you remove one or the other you will add an ignorant amount of drone to your system.

Your resonator is in place to dampen certain resonance that is super offensive in the cabin, and the muffler is to quiet or add tone to the overall sound.

Nah, he is just a mutt you can see more of him in the dog thread.
Ok thanks for the heads up. I contacted ETS a few days ago to see if they could custom make their axle back option with more quieter mufflers. Listening to clips on Youtube they sound a little more aggressive than what I am looking for. Hopefully they get back to me sometime this week.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
You are not going to find much aftermarket that's quiet. You may want to look into the spt exhaust. I have a Corsa, you can't hear it when you are crusing around, but when I stand on it there is enough volume to actually rattle the interior trim.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the Subaru SPT catback on my 2017 WRX. It was a tad droney at first, but after about 500 miles, it seems to have mellowed out a lot and is pretty quiet on the highway, yet sounds nice when you put your foot down. I'm now at about 10k miles and think the car sounds great. Just a tad louder than the stock catback without any drone on the highway. I can't verify, but I understand the STI catback fits the WRX and differs only by having a resonator in the midpipe where the WRX model doesn't. I've read the resonator helps quiet down the tone a tad more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was looking for the same thing for my 17 Wrx and I was about to get the nameless 4" muffler because I didn't want it to be too loud and at the same time I want to get some noise out of my car for the money I'm spending. 5" muffler is very close to stock and you won't hear that much difference unless you get on it. I was very scared to get the muffler deletes because I didn't want it to be too loud but I'm telling you I am so glad I got the nameless 4" tips with muffler deletes. You can hear it when your cruising but not that loud. I live in a quite neighbourhood and no complains at all.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
The FA20 in the new WRX is quiet. There's no doubt about it. I had a friend who took his mufflers completely off because he was too cheap to buy an exhaust, and you could barely even hear it on cold start, but when he cracked the throttle you could definitely hear it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it really 100k miles? I thought it was 60k. And even so, I voided my warranty the moment I brought home my '17. I felt the stock tune throttle map was going to cannibalize my clutch with that rev hang.
I got the additional warranty with full parts/labor for 100k. I don't really have the urge to go crazy with mods these days since it is my daily driver, and I drive about 2k miles a month.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts