ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been discussed sometime or another but I figuered i would just ask. I got 2011 WRX and I bought winter tires and installed them on the stock rims for my winter setup. I'll have another set of wheels for my summer setup but my dilema is that I'm not sure wether to go with the stock 17" size or go one size up to 18". I still have the stock summer tires that came with the car so it would be cheaper to go with 17's. The only reason I would go 18's is just for looks. The car is mainly a daily driver but I am thinking of autocrossing sometime. What do you guys think?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Larger diameter wheels weigh more.

Which is more important: form or function? Personally, I'd go with 17s to keep the weight down.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Personally, I'd go with something 18x8.5 and a 245 tire.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Eric05mx said:
Personally, I'd go with something 18x8.5 and a 245 tire.
I run 245s on my OE 17x8s

·
Registered
902 Posts
Some guys are running wide rims and tires but you really start to negatively effect handling once you get into the "Hellaflush" look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i'm not too fond of the hellaflush look. And like I said, my car is a DD so it needs to be driveable and some what comfortable. I did look at the specs for my summer tires on tirerack I can put up to 9 inch rim on them.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Between wider and taller, wider will win me over any day of the week. If you're thinking about autocrossing, taller is not the way to go. Stick with 17's and go as wide as you are able.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I personally go with an 18"x8" +48 offset with a 235/40/18 tire. My subaru that I track day has 17"x9" but it is rarely driven on the road.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
bigger wheels are generally called for when you have to run bigger brakes, if your not running into brake clearance issues then 17" wheels have several advantages- they are going to be lighter (for the same style wheel) w/ less rotating mass- this impacts acceleration, braking and handling

with todays hi po tires the "argument" for stiffer sidewall w/ a taller wheel is pretty much moot

occasionally there is an optimum tire size/brand that can only be had in 18"- another reason beyond brake clearance where you might consider 18" over 17"

looks- that's personal, but if 18's look better to you then by all means go 18 :)

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Larger diameter wheels weigh more.

Which is more important: form or function? Personally, I'd go with 17s to keep the weight down.
+1. Also, in line with your concerns about comfort, 18s will feel more harsh than 17s.

·
Æternum
20,594 Posts
If you want performance, 17s are the way to go. There will be minimal difference in sidewall flex between 17 and 18 inch diameter performance tires. The 17s will weigh less and tires will cost less. The only advantage to running larger-diameter wheels, IMO, is to hide larger-diameter brakes. As such, I would be running 16s if I could hide my brakes.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm planing to go with 17s this spring. For me, 18s not only add unwanted weight, they're a lot more expensive ('cause I'd have to buy tires too). I love the look of the 18s on the car, but I'm making a compromise.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Almost everyone comments on sidewall stiffness as if it's a positive thing, but I would not, I'd see the clarifications provided by Big Sky and also I'd comment that for me, sidewall stiffness is a negative, not a positive.

I tend to like sticky compounds but also soft sidewalls.

This is because I like being comfortable and would readily sacrifice that 10/10ths of steering feel. I drive my car on some of the worst roads in the US and may have felt differently if I had fresh smooth tarmac all the way to work, but I don't. I have what are rapidly deteriorating from roads to tank proving grounds with which I have to contend, I'm not getting any younger, and steering feel isn't worth all that much to me when we're all crawling along in rush hour traffic, whereas comfort becomes more and more important.

I'd prefer the absolutely smallest wheel I could fit over my chosen brakes, with first preference to the wheels already on my car. If it's not there, I've not had to pay for it, whereas if it is there, I have paid for it, so the existing wheels are out ahead of the competition straight off. Next thought is that one only needs what one needs, not more, so bigger isn't better beyond the point of clearing the brakes, giving me adequate choices for rubber, and costing as little as possible.

Just food for thought from a different point of view.

·
Æternum
20,594 Posts
I agree with SD... smallest wheels that can tuck your brakes.

Wait, you don't live in Michigan. :confused1
Michigan roads are not bad compared to Pennsylvania bs. God knows there's only two seasons in Mich... Winter and construction

1 - 17 of 17 Posts