Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2018 WRX Limited with 18" rims. When I go on Tire Rack and choose my car, it chooses 17 rims and tires/tires. Won't that throw off the speedometer? Should I get 18" tires and rims for winter? I live in central NY which get a a lot of snow. Thanks

· Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2018 WRX Limited with 18" rims. When I go on Tire Rack and choose my car, it chooses 17 rims and tires/tires. Won't that throw off the speedometer? Should I get 18" tires and rims for winter? I live in central NY which get a a lot of snow. Thanks
I don't think it matters to much. 17" rims means you will have not rubber and sidewall for the harsh winter and roads. Plus tires would be cheaper.

My tires on my car are that way 17" summer and I think 16" winter.

But I could be wrong and maybe I am doing it wrong. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,100 Posts
a smaller wheel and tire package will cost less and you can get a taller sidewall to make up the difference. it might not be the exact same size, but it'll be close enough that you wont notice teh difference on the speedo.

· Premium Member
646 Posts
There is a major theory, practiced by many, that we should deliberately downsize our wheels and tires for the winter by "one diameter," as it results in better snow traction.

I do not follow that theory/practice, thought I recognize its validity. I stayed with the 18" combo for my winter set.

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
WRX John said:
There is a major theory, practiced by many, that we should deliberately downsize our wheels and tires for the winter by "one diameter," as it results in better snow traction.

I do not follow that theory/practice, thought I recognize its validity. I stayed with the 18" combo for my winter set.
A taller/narrower tire will help cut through snow better than a standard-sized wider tire. If you don't experience deep snow, perfectly understandable.

As someone who's very familiar with the snowfall that he's experiencing (I've lived for multiple winters N/S/E of him, never W), he wants the 17" wheels/tires on his vehicle for the winter months.

kc2pxp said:
When I go on Tire Rack and choose my car, it chooses 17 rims and tires/tires. Won't that throw off the speedometer? Should I get 18" tires and rims for winter? I live in central NY which get a a lot of snow.
To elaborate a bit more, I've lived through multiple winters in Albany, Binghamton, and Watertown. You want 17s.

Use the calculators posted to determine what would be the closest size tire to OE, and buy accordingly.

There are other tire manufacturers that aren't available on TireRack, so don't focus on them, exclusively.

Don't waste your time/money on Blizzaks (they suck after a winter or two). If you want to pay the premium for the best winter tires, buy Nokian, which TireRack doesn't sell.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much everyone, for your feedback. I will look into the 17" tires and rims. I have a set of 18" Falken Euro Winter HS snow tires (225/45/18) from my old Toyota Camry. These tires only have 2 seasons on them so maybe I will put them on the stock rims this season even though I hear that the stock rims pack snow really bad. Next year I can but a set of 17" rims and snow tires. I had a set of Hakkapeliittas for a truck years ago and they were awesome.

· Registered
22 Posts
OP, I own a 2016 WRX and run the 18" stock tires (Dunlop SportMaxx RT) and rims in the summer and 17" Blizzaks on steelies in the winter. I'll look up the size of the winters and post it later, they are a taller and narrower tire than the summers. Winter performance is great, have driven through numerous snowstorms on the way to and from Vermont ski trips and have had zero traction issues. I am probably driving slightly slower than the speedometer registers on the 17's but I don't believe it's significant. Interesting side note about the 17's, they offer a slightly more comfortable ride than the 18" summer tires.

· Registered
74 Posts
Whenever I put a set of tires on car, i buy ones with a diameter that results in nearly-exact speedometer readings. With most cars the speedo reads about 3% high with OEM tires, though I have been surprised that my new 2017 WRX seems to be correct on the OEM tires. I don't know if I just got lucky or if other Soobs are all that good. Re tire width, yes a narrower tire goes through snow better. IMO this is more important with undriven wheels than it is with AWD or 4WD.

Re source, when I bought tires and wheels from Discount Tire their offer was free seasonal changes from the snowies to the summer tires snf vice-versa, forever. I'm sure I have done 2 changes a year for 8+ years. That's quite a saving, so I am quite loyal to them. If they are in your (OP) market I'd take the Tire Rack price to them for a match. They can usually get pretty close on tires. I have never tried with wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.